PDA

View Full Version : Brits start full Iraq withdrawl

Scott
05-02-2009, 09:39 AM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00769/basramain_769694a.jpg

BRIT forces will start the end of their controversial involvement in the Iraq war today when they pass full military command to the US Army.

The handover represents a huge landmark on the road towards the final withdrawal of the 4,100 UK troops still based in Basra, southern Iraq.

Major General Andy Salmon, of the Royal Marines, will hand control of coalition forces in Basra to American Major General Michael Oates today.

Britain's involvement in the US-led Iraq campaign has come at great cost with 179 British personnel losing their lives since the 2003 invasion began.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00769/basra380_769654a.jpg

But Our Boys have improved security in Basra significantly since orchestrating the major Iraqi Army-led operation, the Charge of the Knights, against militias in the city this time last year.

British combat operations in Iraq end on May 31 and all but about 400 of the remaining UK troops will be withdrawn by July 31.

Maj Gen Salmon, Britain’s most senior commander in Iraq, will return home this week after the transfer of military command.

He acknowledged there had been “ups and downs” but insisted it was “a successful conclusion to a long campaign”.

“I can put my hand on my heart and say we’ve finished this right,” he said.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00769/basra682_769696a.jpg

“I know that it was a very difficult start - we all know that. We know that actually we went through some difficult times. So did the US Army, we all went through difficult times.

“We stayed the course and we endured, and we partnered with everybody, and seized our opportunities and adapted along the way.”

Iraqi generals, senior police officers, sheikhs, businessmen and religious leaders attended a farewell feast in honour of Maj Gen Salmon on Sunday.

Advertisement

The head of Basra’s security forces, Major General Hawedi Mohamed, thanked the UK for its help in ridding his country of dictatorship and bringing freedom and democracy.

Speaking at the event, Maj Gen Oates said the US military would “pick up where the British forces have left off” in Basra.

“It’s a bitter-sweet day for me to have them leave, but I’m enormously proud of them, and I think the people of Great Britain should be very proud of their Army,” he said.

“They’ve done an outstanding job in Basra.”

GTFPDQ
05-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I for one, am glad that the lads and lassies are getting out of Iraq. I could never quite see the reason for Iraq to be regime changed. Im proud of what the troops have done under ever increasing political and local pressures.

The troops should be proud of what they achieved.

JToKKo
05-05-2009, 03:31 AM
I truly think one day we will look back and appreciate what happened in Iraq. If for gods sake they just keep it together. Its not like Afghanistan, Afghanistan has nothing...besides poppies and terrorists. There is no way to make Afghanistan a place that can grow into a strong country. Iraq on the other hand has oil and a port on the Persian Gulf. Plus it has a history of secular government. Believe it or not Saddam had a Christian woman in his cabinet.

Scott
05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
We are pulling out, most if not all infrantry will be pulling out of iraq, some might be transported to afghanistan, as for our air force i don't think we will pull them out until 2010 if not later.

The US and Brits and others have done an amazing job in iraq, its a shame people don't see what they've been doing, building schools, some houses helping out with the hospital re-building them, they've done a heck lot, not to mention their is more power ( electricity ) then before.

we've done shit loads, its a shame afghanistan is a different story, thats where the war is at now, the heart of it, 20 million Dollars of ammunition wasted each day on the fuckers, well worth it tho :rohan: , thats just the US ammount of ammunition god knows if i added it all up for all the country's spending each day.