PDA

View Full Version : Why do Navy Seals get so much publicity?

Cruelbreed
05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I feel like the Navy Seals are the most publicized group in existence. Everywhere you can find fitness regime. In the news you'll hear about Navy Seals dealing with pirates and even of the fallen seals.

If you mention to a random uneducated person "Special Forces" they'll usually immediately think Navy Seal.

You can find tons of videos on Navy Seal training, but it's more difficult with the other segments of SOF.

You constantly hear the grueling nature of acceptance in Navy Seals. In movies it seems Navy Seals are often more embraced as the elite soldier.

This is just an observation of course, nobody is saying there's 100% truth to it.

Stark
05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
depends what country - in the UK it's the SAS

Cruelbreed
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
depends what country - in the UK it's the SAS

Is the SAS that publicised though? I figured most SAS missions etc just wouldn't be spoken about. It just seems the NAVY tends to release a lot of info about seals.

Stark
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Is the SAS that publicised though? I figured most SAS missions etc just wouldn't be spoken about. It just seems the NAVY tends to release a lot of info about seals.

Oh loads of them

Scott
05-01-2009, 04:54 PM
oh yes beleive me they do release quite abit of their missions.

I think Navy Seals are pretty simular to SAS, im not 100% on that tho.

Cruelbreed
05-01-2009, 06:56 PM
SAS i'd say is far more prestigious, DELTA is based off of some of its doctrine.

ghost
05-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Well, a more fair comparison to the US Navy SEALs, would be the British SBS(Special Boat Service), as they are both the same type of unit. While Delta was based off of the SAS, the SAS have a much broader range of operational capabilities, and missions for which they train for(at least I think so).

Yes, the Navy SEALs are definitely an icon in "popular culture". But, the majority of people have no fucking idea about the jobs and missions that these guys perform. For example, I've had people try to tell me that the Navy SEALs were a form of INFANTRY....

I mean, I know that people are aware of the fact that the Navy SEALs are some of the most highly trained fighting men that the United States has to offer, but I don't think that many people realize just how good they really are.

ghost
05-02-2009, 02:33 AM
SAS i'd say is far more prestigious, DELTA is based off of some of its doctrine.

LOL yeah. Who do you think wrote the Delta training manuals?

Cruelbreed
05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
LOL yeah. Who do you think wrote the Delta training manuals?

I have no idea, some prob based off SAS some is probably their own at this point.

GTFPDQ
05-02-2009, 01:21 PM
In the UK the media print nits and bobs about the SAS, but its only baiting the higher ups to say something in agreement or denial of. Its better that the UKSF group has managed a long and effective silence. Thats the way it should stay.

JToKKo
05-05-2009, 03:20 AM
I see alot of commercials for the Navy that involve the SEALs... Dont see any comercials that involve the Rangers or Delta.

EndUSA
05-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Because they're GREAT at killing innocent people.

ghost
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Because they're GREAT at killing innocent people.

Wouldn't you rather be on a CodePink forum?