PDA

View Full Version : This is incredible!!!!

Stark
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
The Solvay Hut is the highest hut on the Matterhorn at 4,003 meters (13,133 ft). Situated on a ledge immediately above the Moseley Slab on the Hörnligrat, it’s a small emergency refuge that can accommodate about 10 people. It is strictly to be used in the event of an emergency but many climbers briefly stop there as a resting/check point and photo opportunity. Peering out from the ledge provides dramatic views of the surrounding Monte Rosa summits. The Solvay Hut is about two thirds up the mountain, 743 m (2,437 ft) above the Hörnli Hut and 475 m (1,558 ft) below the summit.

1. The hut was built in August of 1915. All of the building material was brought up to the Hörnli Hut (at 3,260 m | 10,696 ft) by help of animals. From there a small temporary cable car was used to transport the material up to the building site of Solvay. The original hut only took five days to erect but was rebuilt in 1966. In 1976 an emergency telephone was installed.

eaglethebeagle
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I dont think I could stand on that ledge not so much the height but I am paranoid someone comes behind me and pushes me...

Stark
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Haha I feel you I get a weird feeling when I look at the pictures

MadeInRu
04-27-2012, 03:01 PM
I dont think I could stand on that ledge not so much the height but I am paranoid someone comes behind me and pushes me...

hahahaha same here lol, i even feel that when standing on the train station near the rails when train is passing by...

But amazing pictures never the less..