PDA

View Full Version : Your Alternator

shatto
03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
You may have read about my long trip where the alternator failed.
I was delivering critical medical supplies up near the northeast border of California, almost to Oregon and didn't have the luxury of waiting days for a replacement alternator so I bought some batteries and ran them until the truck died, switched batteries, etc.

When I got home and my Tundra, Clyde The Ride had a new alternator, Dex, my mechanic showed me the brushes which had simply worn down to the point where the brush seat had destroyed the armature.

Brushes: $25.00.
Alternator: $400.00

Any reason not to replace brushes with the timing belt service? Or every 50,000 miles or-so?

moter
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Usually you can get 100k plus on an alternator. Now if it had a bearing fail ..this could shorten the life of the brushes. Is this driven in harsh conditions or have extra accesories like lights, winch or extra radio gear? Also the t belt is not due till 90k

brightgoo
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Usually you can get 100k plus on an alternator. Now if it had a bearing fail ..this could shorten the life of the brushes. Is this driven in harsh conditions or have extra accesories like lights, winch or extra radio gear? Also the t belt is not due till 90k

It also makes a big difference in going down if its a Chevy. HaHa jk. Moter is exactly right, I am on 206,000 miles on my original motorcraft alternator in my full size 95 Ford Bronco. (and no its not a white OJ one ). It all depends on conditions, like moter said.

jamieooh
03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
My motorcraft went out on me at 73000 along with a coil pack.

KGCNC
03-27-2012, 10:47 PM
My 1994 Aerostar had 243,000 on it before I sold her. Alternator never went out.

ShadowLegion
03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, I know you have already replaced the brushes however, most people will not think that far ahead. They will pay the $400 for the new alternator and make sure it has a lifetime warranty. From there it's just paying someone to replace it when it goes out, or doing it yourself for free. At least then you won't have to worry about the age of the bearings and other high wear items which could cause the thing to go out again in a couple of months, or whenever but you get the point.

shatto
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Well, I know you have already replaced the brushes however, most people will not think that far ahead. They will pay the $400 for the new alternator and make sure it has a lifetime warranty. From there it's just paying someone to replace it when it goes out, or doing it yourself for free. At least then you won't have to worry about the age of the bearings and other high wear items which could cause the thing to go out again in a couple of months, or whenever but you get the point.
That's why I asked. A few weeks after the replacement was installed, it failed and Dex had to replace it on warranty. I'll have to ask him if the alternator company paid some of what it cost him to redo the job.
Thinking back to my problems on the trip, it never occurred to me to rent another truck in Redding; I defaulted to the Ethiopian bush where we were alone, self sufficient and had to get home on our own. There wasn't a tow truck in the country.