PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers are trying to help military service dogs

jamieooh
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Capitol Hill lawmakers are trying to help military service dogs finished with active duty by giving them full health benefits and streamlining their adoption process. But advocacy groups say the legislation should go further by giving the animals a return flight to U.S. soil, just like the soldiers they joined in combat.

The Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act has been introduced in the House by Rep. Walter B. Jones, R-N.C., and in the Senate by Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and now awaits hearings.

Right now, the Defense Department classifies military work dogs as equipment, which means service units or prospective adoption families must pay to have the animals brought home from abroad, which from Europe can cost more than $1,000.

If approved, the bill would streamline the adoption process and create a program in which donations would pay for commercial air travel for dogs that have no awaiting, adoptive family.

"There is no real structure in place now for people to adopt," a Blumenthal aide said.

Debbie Kandoll of the Military Work Dog Adoption group, who favors the legislation, said it can go further. Animals could be returned on cargo flights at little cost to the government.

"It's great if they want to do commercial airlines or frequent flier miles, but the military's first line or responsibility is to get these dogs home," Kandoll told FoxNews.com. "They will always and forever be a military veterans. It's degrading for the dogs to be considered excess equipment when they served to selflessly and nobly."

Kandoll said many families considering adoption cannot afford overseas transportation in addition to the medical procedures many of the dogs will incur as a result of the duties, which has included sniffing out roadside bombs in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"Sometimes these health costs could be thousands of dollars," said Ron Aiello of the U.S. War Dogs Association, which also supports the legislation.

According to the legislation, dogs that have no awaiting family would return to Lackland Air Force Base, in San Antonio, Texas, home to the 341st Training Squadron, the training school for dogs and handlers for the entire military.

The military also maintains about 200 kennels worldwide. Currently, the adoption wait for a retired working military dog is about one year, according to Lackland base spokesman Gerry Proctor, who said reports claiming the military is abandoning old or retired dogs or puts them down rather than adopting them out are overstated.

Proctor added that the possibility a dog would finish its military service and be shipped to Lackland because it had no waiting home would be "extremely rare."

Dog handlers get first priority, and sometimes the dogs are still in good enough shape after military duty to work for a municipal police force before full retirement, Proctor said.

He did not have the exact cost for shipping home a dog but downplayed published reports that the cost is in the thousands.

With recent reporting that even handlers have had trouble getting their dogs to join them at home, especially those that are old, retired or infirm, the bill also directs the secretary of Defense to award a contract to a private, nonprofit group that would establish a system of veterinary care for the dogs

"These dogs deserve their loyalty and dedication to be returned when they are home," Blumenthal said in a recently issued press statement.

Jones called the dogs "crucial assets" that have "saved countless American lives during the past decade of conflict." He has tried for years to get a national memorial built for the dogs.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/22/hill-lawmakers-seek-to-help-military-dogs-advocates-want-more/#ixzz1pszwqwiR

serpa6
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for this post Jamie I was talking the past month about adopting a sevice Dog and now it makes me think to fly one back i have not got that kind of money to do that and I also know that you have to train with them I dont know the time span On how long that takes before you can bring them home I Know being in the military once there are flights everyday back and forth from overseas you think that they could put these hero's on board with our other hero's that take military flights home to see there love ones It would get alot of the dogs adopted if people did not have to pay just for the flight and then there is the cost of the board for debrief and training for the civilian world I would not paying for that but the flight I simply could not afford it

jamieooh
03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Serpa
You would think they could fly to one the 200 kennels that is nearest to a potential adopter .
Maybe someone could start a nonprofit organization to bring these dogs back and train them for civilian\family life.
Then that organization could find a good home.
These heroes should not be put down.

serpa6
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
There was one women who did what happen to her agency I do not know I had seen a documentry on it I forget who was the one who had did it Matter a fact i think one of the vids was one here on AC This women flew into I think Iraq and has raised enough money for ethier Fed EX or UPS to fly a plane in country to pick up the K-9's But this is a good idea I will do the reseach to see if there are any out there that do this Umm I wonder about somehing I just had a Idea and I agree these Hero's did there duty saved countless lives here and abroad they should not meet there end like that They should meet there end naturaly live the rest of there lives out with a good family

BrendenF11
03-23-2012, 12:01 AM
I have done a bit of research into the programs which promote the adoption of these dogs. When I get home from over seas, I have not left yet and it won't be for a while, I do STRONGLY plan on adopting one of these dogs. I am not big on animal adoption, I have my doubts, but these vets deserve a good home and I know they will provide one in return. Glad to see there are ample resources out there to provide a good home for these dogs, and give them what they deserve. Wish there was an easier chance for me to provide one of these dogs a home, but I can not afford it right now that's what the deployment is for. Thanks for the post Jamie!