PDA

View Full Version : Teenager is 'first' white victim of honour killing

jamieooh
03-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Teenager is 'first' white victim of honour killing
The mother of a teenager stabbed to death as she walked by a canal yesterday claimed her daughter was the victim of a brutal honour killing.
Laura Wilson Photo: ROSS PARRY

8:00AM GMT 17 Mar 2012

Laura Wilson, 17, was repeatedly knifed in the head by her Asian boyfriend Ashtiaq Ashgar on a secluded tow path after their relationship turned sour.

Her mother, who has never spoken publicly before, believes her daughter was murdered because she challenged the code of ethics which some ethnic communities still follow.

It is thought that Miss Wilson could be the first white victim of an honour killing in Britain.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Mrs Wilson said: “I honestly think it was an honour killing for putting shame on the family. They needed to shut Laura up and they did.”

Miss Wilson lived in Ferham Park, an Asian and white community in Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Although only a teenager, she already had a baby by an Asian man, Ishaq ‘Zac’ Hussein, a 20-year-old.

But her mother revealed that he refused to recognise the child and Miss Wilson was really in love with his friend, Ashtiaq Ashgar. She admitted: ‘”Ashtiaq was her first love, she adored him.”

Stung by Mr Hussein’s rejection of her and their child, Miss Wilson decided to confront the men’s families and tell them she had had sexual relations with both of them.

Detective Superintendent Mick Mason, now retired from South Yorkshire Police, believes this may have been the trigger for a plan to kill her.

Officers know from analysing records of the two men’s phones that after the meeting there were text messages discussing buying a gun.

DS Mason said: “I think it was all about shame. In their eyes, Laura had brought shame on the family by coming round. Their son had also brought shame on the family.”

In October 2010, three days after the confrontation, Miss Wilson agreed to meet Mr Ashgar by a local canal. Police believe he began a frenzied knife attack on the girl before throwing her into the water.

The two men were arrested and tried for her murder. The pathologist in court revealed that Miss Wilson had been stabbed in the top of the head repeatedly as she tried to struggle out of the canal.

Mr Ashgar was found guilty and sentenced to 17 years in prison and Mr Hussein was acquitted.

DS Mason added: “I have seen many murders in my time, but this was the worst.”

brightgoo
03-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I love how the absolute, totalitarian gun laws prevailed (uh-hum, adding sarcasm)

MadeInRu
03-18-2012, 03:27 AM
@Brightgoo Then how come that Great Britain has a much lover homicide rate then US? Apparently gun laws did prevailed..

gazzthompson
03-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I love how the absolute, totalitarian gun laws prevailed (uh-hum, adding sarcasm)

We are allowed guns.

veritas44
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
@Brightgoo Then how come that Great Britain has a much lover homicide rate then US? Apparently gun laws did prevailed..

Have you ever heard of proportionality. There are roughly 62 million people in great Britain...there are over 300 million in the U.S., of course there is going to be a higher homicide rate in the U.S. any mathematical problem would tell you that.
Not to mention, and its not the peoples fault but they have been told by there gov't that guns are bad. I was even reading that the British gov't would not allow people to buy tickets for there children during the up coming Olympics if the sport had firearms in it.

Gazz
Y'all don't own firearms just like I really don't own a drivers licence. Its a priviledge given to me by the gov't which they can revoke just like your guns.
Are you allowed to keep your guns in your home...no. maybe some farmers can get special permits so they can shoot pests. But having to be a member of a certified shooting facility and store your guns under lock and key at the range when you go home is not owning guns in any sense of the American tradition.

gazzthompson
03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Y'all don't own firearms just like I really don't own a drivers licence. Its a priviledge given to me by the gov't which they can revoke just like your guns.

Correct.

Are you allowed to keep your guns in your home...no.

Incorrect, we can and do.

maybe some farmers can get special permits so they can shoot pests.

No such thing.

But having to be a member of a certified shooting facility and store your guns under lock and key at the range when you go home..

Wrong on both having to be a member of a "certified shooting facility " And wrong on having to be kept at the range.

not owning guns in any sense of the American tradition.

Correct, But he didn't say that. He said "absolute, totalitarian gun laws prevailed". Our laws are strict, and frankly stupid but nowhere near as bad as you or brightgoo have said which frankly was wrong.

veritas44
03-18-2012, 02:52 PM
ok so I was half wrong ...or maybe they have just changed the laws since the two years that I lived there. But when I was there I went shooting at gun clubs and the guys there told me that you had to be a member of a club to own a gun and the firearm had to be left at the club. They could have been pulling my leg but if you read the little post to brightgoo, the Brit gov't did say they would refuse to sell tickets to events that used firearms in them... that is a little draconian.

MadeInRu
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Mate, population is not important.

You create 3 variables, 1st is the actual one you want to check, 2nd for error margin in population and the last one is a controlling variable. The program checks correlation and does the rest for you, its the basics of statistics. How do you think they compare annual income for one citizen on average per country, population is also different.

Edit:
Oki i messed up lol, you will have to create 1 variable for each country, 1 for population and one for error. But basic idea is the same...

I'm loosing the damn skill hehe :P God i hate math :D

gazzthompson
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
ok so I was half wrong ...or maybe they have just changed the laws since the two years that I lived there. But when I was there I went shooting at gun clubs and the guys there told me that you had to be a member of a club to own a gun and the firearm had to be left at the club. They could have been pulling my leg but if you read the little post to brightgoo, the Brit gov't did say they would refuse to sell tickets to events that used firearms in them... that is a little draconian.

Yeah no doubt the law has probably changed, It has alot in the past years. And i haven't heard of the ticket thing, but that is fucking stupid. The mentality on firearms here needs a nation wide change.

veritas44
03-18-2012, 03:28 PM
yes it is statistics...the same as economics the more money you make the more you will spend. The bigger your population the more crime you will have no matter what the crime is... proven fact. We aren't talking about GDP which can vary by what a country has to offer no matter how big the population.
Under your premise jonesboro AR with a population of 56,000 could have more shoplifting incedents than New York city... Not possible

MadeInRu
03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Example
Country A: population 10 people, 3 crimes per year, - Statistic: 3 crimes per year.
Country B: population 30 people. 10 crimes per year, - Statistic: 3 crimes per year.

^^^ Variable will be % per 10 of population.

Or do i actually have to look up both populations, amount of crimes and calculate it?
40 or so min for me, you pay ;)

Btw, its a bit wrong to compare 56k and 19 million... 62 million and 300 is 1 to 5 in proportion roughly.

veritas44
03-18-2012, 04:07 PM
No I understand your percentage based stats...much better than I want to its how police depts screws with the numbers to try to show that the crime rate has gone down for a given time... but that still does not negate the fact that a larger population is going to have more of any given crime no matter how you do the percentages.
And by the way I may have been a little of using new your city... but the pop of new your is only a little over 8 million not 19...2010 census

Anybody can say
City A pop 10 ....3 murders per year....3.3 murders per year per 10 people
City B pop 100...30 murders per year...3.3 murders per year per 10 people
But my point is still proven even though the percentage is the same, the larger population had 10 times more murders

MadeInRu
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Larger population does has more crime, but lower population has a lower ratio, that's where the tricky part is mate :) It evens the final result. We're talking statistics, not just percentage of one single. If you simply follow statistics, then amount of guns in US should greatly outnumber the chance of some one killing some one else then in UK. So it makes sense, it really does. But then we're putting 2 new variables in -

More guns, more kills: So do guns increase homicide rate?
More guns, more opportunities to defend ourselves: So do guns protect us better?

Stats 2010:
US - 88.8 guns per 100 of population
UK - 6.2 guns per 100 of population

So it means, that 88% of Americans, roughly speaking, have a better chance of defending themselves and only 6.2 Brits? But some how Crime rate per 100 is around 6.8 in US and something like 2.8 in UK. (Don't remember the exact numbers, but it's very close to that)

So if we calculate according to your logic, US should be safest place to live in.

As for New York, my bad, just googled and never bothered to look in to it, but 8 mil vs 56k is still a bit big ;)

jamieooh
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
The last stats I could find had the USA at forth with the numbers of total murders committed with a gun . Those stats were from 2002.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms
Can anybody find newer stats. I would like to see where Mexico ranks now.
I wonder what affect drug policy changes would make to the murder rate?
I wonder what the numbers would be if gang violence was removed ?

jamieooh
03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
here is some food for thought.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvmurd.html

brightgoo
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
damn Gazz its like arguing with my wife :) My point being it doesnt matter what, or whats not allowed; people that want to do evil things will do evil things. Hence this poor girl had a knife plunged into her skull until she gave up the ghost and was kicked in the gutter. If lawful citizens are allowed to carry, responsibly, there are more chances for them to stop evil acts. I know our end game is to agree to disagree.

gazzthompson
03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
When it comes to Gun laws, i completely agree with US gun laws/attitudes and wish it here. Unfortunately for me, our people and police dont agree or want guns. Oh well

brightgoo
03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Now that was a civil response my friend.

KGCNC
03-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Tragedy. Love the math comparison BTW.

brightgoo
03-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Tragedy. Love the math comparison BTW.

Yea demographics and all the other variables have no place in this conversation. I know lets just choose one town to model by, I pick Kennasaw Georgia. The city ord. requires something to the effect of that all adult to own a firearm, thus the crime rate is virtually nil. Boom problem solved

veritas44
03-18-2012, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=MadeInRu;51256]Larger population does has more crime, but lower population has a lower ratio, that's where the tricky part is mate :) It evens the final result. We're talking statistics, not just percentage of one single. If you simply follow statistics, then amount of guns in US should greatly outnumber the chance of some one killing some one else then in UK. So it makes sense, it really does. But then we're putting 2 new variables in -

More guns, more kills: So do guns increase homicide rate?
More guns, more opportunities to defend ourselves: So do guns protect us better?

Stats 2010:
US - 88.8 guns per 100 of population
UK - 6.2 guns per 100 of population

So it means, that 88% of Americans, roughly speaking, have a better chance of defending themselves and only 6.2 Brits? But some how Crime rate per 100 is around 6.8 in US and something like 2.8 in UK. (Don't remember the exact numbers, but it's very close to that)

So if we calculate according to your logic, US should be safest place to live in.

As for New York, my bad, just googled and never bothered to look in to i.......

My figures are dead on, ir you leave any other country out of the situation and just use states, the states with the strictist gun control laws have the highest crime rates.
One city eve passed a law making it mandatory for every household to own a gun...crime fell over 50%.
Chicago, new York, Washington DC buffalo new York, California...places with strict gun control laws have sky high crime rates.. As compared to were I live and just about everyone carries a gun, the violent crime rate is very low per capital.

And by the way just as an example.
The U.S. with free gun laws has 6.1 murders per 100,000 per year
Russia on the other had with very strict gun laws has over 26 murders per 100,000 per year
There are many more with higher murder rates than the U.S. and all have strict gun laws

There has never been a scientific study done in the states that proves stricter gun laws lower crime, because it does not

Oh and by the way the example I used with the two cities jonesboro and new York really had nothing to do with the population as a whole it had to do with surtain crimes are usually done by a certain demographic like shoplifting and that new York certainly has more children than jonesboro so there would be more shoplifting in new York.

KGCNC
03-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Let me clarify what I meant about the numbers. They are good to a point. Period. A large factor that comes into play is how some ones moral code is. This will determine whether someone is a scumbag,victim or a sheep dog or an average joe. Obviously the scumbag who killed the girl "thought" he was right. The laws of the land were not in his favor. Thank God.