PDA

View Full Version : Marines disarmed for Leon Panetta speech

jamieooh
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Marines disarmed for Leon Panetta speech

By TIM MAK | 3/14/12 11:00 AM EDT

Hundreds of U.S. Marines were suddenly told Wednesday to leave and return unarmed to a venue where Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta was scheduled to speak, according to reports — an unusual move that illustrates the military’s heightened security concerns.

Typically, American forces in Afghanistan have kept hold of their weapons when Panetta addressed them.

But on Wednesday, about 200 Marines were told to take their weapons outside of the large tent at Camp Leatherneck where Panetta spoke and to leave them there, while Afghan troops already were unarmed, as is customary for these events, reports The Associated Press.

The commander on the scene, Sgt. Maj. Brandon Hall, said he was acting on orders from highers-up.

“Something has come to light,” Hall told the troops, according to the wire service. “I was told to get the weapons out.”

“All I know is, I was told to get the weapons out,” he told The New York Times. “Somebody got itchy, that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy; we just adjust.”

American officials later said that the order came from the top commander in Helmand province, Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus.

“You’ve got one of the most important people in the world in the room,” he told the newspaper, insisting that the order had nothing to do with the Sunday’s incident in which an American staff sergeant went door to door in Afghan villages, killing 16.

“This is not a big deal,” Gurganus added.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74004.html#ixzz1p8x0UDPp

eaglethebeagle
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
panetta obama = douches

jamieooh
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Yup . Supposedly they did this because Afghanistan had soldiers there that had to disarm so to make it 'fair' they made the marines disarm