PDA

View Full Version : Donating this 45 star flag to my local GAR hal/historical center.

BrendenF11
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
So last week, 20 minutes before I had to be at the local wrestling clubs match to present the colors with my brothers from the American legion, I literally stumbled across this on Ebay. Now I live in Minnesota, Litchfield to be exact, and we have the last original Grand Army of the Republic, GAR, hall in the state of Minnesota. It is on the national registery of historical places. I found this Dept. of Minnesota GAR flag on ebay, of all places. I am not rich, I spend my money wisely and save for the things I want, but this was a no brainer after about 5 minutes of debate with myself.

Now I am a member of the legion and the vfw, I take pride in those organizations and all they stand for. The GAR was essentially the same type of an organization, founded by the men who fought in Americas bloodiest war, our civil war. This is an organization which has faded from memory in most towns across America. That is why this flag will now be returned to where it belongs.

This flag is a 45 star flag, so early 1900's to late 1800's. The stitching appears to be by hand, I could be wrong I am not a seamstress. It is in fair shape, there are tears and holes in it but I am sure it was used for a lot of things along its way. The colors though are very good, there is little yellowing on the white the blue is perfect, and the stars are great.

Any how, I rambled on way to much, here are a few pictures of the flag, roughly 9ft by 4ft 6 in.

joelee
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
My Mothers family is originally from Wilkes-Barre PA, up in the mtns. Coal country. All Irish and Polish descendents. They sent a lot of men and boys to the War of States Rights.
There is the GAR highway. GAR High School.
My Fathers family are from the Smokey Mtns of Western NC, Eastern Tenn. They remember it differently there. :)