PDA

View Full Version : DuraCoat

ErisKillton
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Im going to attempt to use DuraCoat to finish one of my guns/rifles myself.
Im not sure what weapon Im going to try first but it will probably be my shitty Highpoint 9mm(in case I fuck up). I've been using an airbrush for about 10 years now, but I never have used a resin paint before and I was curious if anyone else has done it themselves and if so give me some tips from your own experience. Or if you've had your weapon DuraCoated Id like to know how it performs. Or how much you paid to have it done; because if Im good at it, Im going to start finishing other peoples weapons.

...so... I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

For more info on DuraCoat visit Lauer Custom Weaponry (http://www.lauerweaponry.com)

SgtJim
01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
LOL!
we need a video about the full process :D

and i bet u'll use the "zombie coat" version.....hehe

ErisKillton
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
LOL!
we need a video about the full process :D

and i bet u'll use the "zombie coat" version.....hehe

LoL....

I will keep the video part in mind, and the zombie coat version is waaay cool...but Im sticking to one color for my first time :D

Benda
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
nothing to add here except good luck Eris.

DevilDog812
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
might want to check out some of nutnfancy's videos on duracoat Eris! heres a playlist of 6
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDE5D2DE6270094AD

good luck on it! i always wanted to try it too

Jdubya
01-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I did a Krylon paint job on one of my ARs using stencils to make digital camo and it worked out no problem. I used blue painters tape to mask areas I didn't want to paint and used a clothes hanger to hang it up by the sling mount on the butt stock. It only took about 2 hours and to be honest it was easier than expected. I'm sure you'll have no problem especially if your using an airbrush.

veritas44
01-19-2012, 01:48 AM
if your using the removable duracoat, thats not a big deal spray on and use their remover to take it off.
But if your using the bake on and you have a place to "cook" your rifle then mix your duracoat 12 parts duracoat color to one part hardner. You can make your finish more matte or dull by using a 14:1 ratio. But remember the thicker and heavier you spray, the shinier your finish will become.
If you are using stencils, use mineral spirits to remove any adhesive, it will not affect the newly applied duracoat.
"cook" the gun after application for 1 hour at 110 degrees. for full effect the gun should then be left to cure at room temp for 4 to 6 weeks. I hope this help

eaglethebeagle
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Nothing like coming home after a hard days work to smell a freshly cooked AR-15....:D

Good luck with that Eris and thanks for the other responses. This is something I was thinking about doing too but the last thing I need to do right now is fudge up one of my guns.:thumbsup:

TABMCGEE
01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Duracoat is great stuff. LCW uses it on all of their suppressors along with most of their other items.

But I found a great and cheap way to finish a 'basket case' bang stick.

Wal-mart...yep...good ole Wal-mart sells Krylon Bar-B-Q bake-on paint.
The paint was designed to withstand intense heat for Bar-B-Q grills.
It leaves an incredibly hard, textured surface which is a matte-type finish.
It's less than $2.
I'll try to upload a pic of an 870 Remington I finished. Altogether, I have $52 in the gun.

TABMCGEE
01-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Sorry. I went 'advanced' but to no avail. I think I need a .jpg attached with the pictures or something.
I'll try again later. Right now, my pillow wants me.

ErisKillton
01-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys for all your responses. They are all helpful :)

My DuraCoat should be here sometime next week. I ordered Tactical Coyote Brown because even though I like a matte black finish better, I need to see how evenly I coat the gun, which is already black. The point isnt so much that I want my weapon finished, but more to see if I can do it and see how well it holds up after I do it. Ive done rattle can jobs before....in fact I did my whole truck in Krylon (od green)! Haha...

Im not using the bake on kind because
A- my oven SUCKS...I wouldnt trust a turkey in it, let alone one of my firearms
and
B-I bought a Ruger 9mil off a friend once who had tried the bake on stuff and it didnt wear well at all. In the end I could scratch it off with my fingernail.

Thanks JDubs for the hanger idea....I was thinking about doing that too. Good to know it works.

The only thing Im struggling with now is where to work when spraying. I dont have a garage and it says not to spray indoors. Also it says minimum temp to spray is 65 degrees and I know first hand spraying paint in the cold is NOT a good idea. The paint does not adhere right and does not spray evenly. So Im in a dilemma because although I have plenty of room outside, its getting colder each day. So I think I am gonna break the rules and do it in my kitchen with the big sliding glass door open. I dont know what the fumes are like, but I will wear a respirator and keep the dogs outside all day. But Im still nervous about it.

Thanks again guys... Will keep you posted on the progress and def. post pics when Im done.

ErisKillton
01-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys for all your responses. They are all helpful :)

My DuraCoat should be here sometime next week. I ordered Tactical Coyote Brown because even though I like a matte black finish better, I need to see how evenly I coat the gun, which is already black. The point isnt so much that I want my weapon finished, but more to see if I can do it and see how well it holds up after I do it. Ive done rattle can jobs before....in fact I did my whole truck in Krylon (od green)! Haha...

Im not using the bake on kind because
A- my oven SUCKS...I wouldnt trust a turkey in it, let alone one of my firearms
and
B-I bought a Ruger 9mil off a friend once who had tried the bake on stuff and it didnt wear well at all. In the end I could scratch it off with my fingernail.

Thanks JDubs for the hanger idea....I was thinking about doing that too. Good to know it works.

The only thing Im struggling with now is where to work when spraying. I dont have a garage and it says not to spray indoors. Also it says minimum temp to spray is 65 degrees and I know first hand spraying paint in the cold is NOT a good idea. The paint does not adhere right and does not spray evenly. So Im in a dilemma because although I have plenty of room outside, its getting colder each day. So I think I am gonna break the rules and do it in my kitchen with the big sliding glass door open. I dont know what the fumes are like, but I will wear a respirator and keep the dogs outside all day. But Im still nervous about it.

Thanks again guys... Will keep you posted on the progress and def. post pics when Im done.

veritas44
01-23-2012, 02:14 AM
That sucks about your ruger, maybe the guy you bought it from didn't prep the pistol correctly. You have to degrease the gun completely and certain types of metal like stainless steel and aluminum frames have to be sandblasted and then finished up with 600 grit paper for the coat to adhear properly.
Are you doing a rifle or a pistol...if your doing a rifle, tape is your best friend. If its a bolt action, when you take the barrel and action out of the stock be sure to tape the beading in the stock and the part of the barrel that goes into the beading otherwise the coating on the bottom of the barrel and inside of the beading would effectively double the thickness of the paint and would ruin the harmonics of a free floating barrel by making the barrel and stock touch.
Same goes for a semi auto pistol, you have to be careful with the slide rails.

ErisKillton
02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
So I was waiting and waiting for a good day to paint....but I just couldnt wait anymore and I decided to do it indoors (I dont have a garage). I left the big sliding glass door open and wore a respirator. I spaced out and forgot to take some before pics tho. And I havent put the trigger assembly back together yet but heres some pics I did manage to take. I know I said I'd do the Highpoint first, but decided "fuck it" and did the .22

Before the process I taped off everything. (missing a pic of the barrel before pic)
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2769.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2770.jpg
Yes, I did the scope mount too, because Im going to DuraCoat the scope as well.

Then theres the after pics
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2771.jpg
(barrel)
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2784.jpg

I got crazy and painted my barrel wrench and a cigarette tin as well...haha...a little of that paint goes a long way

Overall I can genuinely say I love this paint and it was so easy to use I cant wait to coat more. It spread so evenly and didnt require a bunch of layering and even when the airbrush spit, the DuraCoat smoothed itself out. You cant get those results from a rattlecan job (spray paint).
The hardest part was taping everything off and finding a way to hang that barrel. I ended up hanging it off a cabinet door since I didnt have anywhere to hang the hanger I thought I would use.
And the reason you dont see a pic of the stock is because the stock I have on the .22 is a Hogue
I'll show you when Im done...more pics to come. :)

Oh. And sorry about the HUGE pics but photobucket was being a bitch and taking too long to downsize the pics.

KGCNC
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Hmmm guess i need to see if my 10/22 is still in my vault.

veritas44
04-27-2012, 06:03 AM
I got bored so I duracoated 75 AR Mags...new springs, magpul followers and magpul L-plates. They turn out great. On the other hand my wife got kinda pissed at me because I baked them in the kitchen oven....hehe

ErisKillton
04-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for bumping the thread Veritas, you got any pics? How to you like the dura bake? Is it easy in the kitchen oven? Is your oven gas or electric? Does it smell up the house?

I Just realized I never posted the final results of my .22 here.

I painted the scope but ended up having to get new scope rings so it looks kinda funny. Do y'all think I should paint the bipod too?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2794800.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb287/RIOTGRRL422/DSCN2795.jpg

veritas44
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Eris

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this but I don't have a clue on how to post pictures or for that matter vids on this site...I should learn.
Back to the matter at hand...if you forget to turn on the stove fan like I did...yes it will smell up the house a bit. The stove is electric it has to be.

That is a nice 10/22 ...I personally would not coat the bipod. I like the color you chose.

Right now I'm doing 25 more mags...black with a tan stripe at the bottom so I can tell what grain round I have in that particular mag.

I have a Remington LTR that I'm gonna try cerakote on. It is suppose to be far superior to duracoat and comes in some pretty nice colors

DevilDog812
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Eris

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this but I don't have a clue on how to post pictures or for that matter vids on this site...I should learn.
Back to the matter at hand...if you forget to turn on the stove fan like I did...yes it will smell up the house a bit. The stove is electric it has to be.

That is a nice 10/22 ...I personally would not coat the bipod. I like the color you chose.

Right now I'm doing 25 more mags...black with a tan stripe at the bottom so I can tell what grain round I have in that particular mag.

I have a Remington LTR that I'm gonna try cerakote on. It is suppose to be far superior to duracoat and comes in some pretty nice colors

Veritas, you have two choices. You can upload it as an attachment or post the picture like Eris did. To do that, make an account on imgur, Photobucket, etc. Then upload the picture to that site and it will give you a link that you post here :)