PDA

View Full Version : Time to end the war on drugs - By Richard Branson.

gazzthompson
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Just read this, thought some of you might find it interesting. Just seems like more and more info, facts and statistics piling on in support of decriminalization of drugs.

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog/time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs

One of the main reasons against legalization or decriminalization of marijuana etc is more people will use it. The facts are different:

Following decriminalization, Portugal has the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the EU: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%, Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.

The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%. Drug use in older teens also declined. Life time heroin use among 16-18 year olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8%.

New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003.

Death related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half.

The number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and the considerable money saved on enforcement allowed for increase funding of drug – free treatment as well.

Property theft has dropped dramatically (50% - 80% of all property theft worldwide is caused by drug users).

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog/time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs

jerrahum
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
These are difficult questions but I made up my mind after reading up on the subject and until very strong evidence points in another direction I'll keep 'em...
Main points why I consider legalizing is the only option:
* War on drugs can not ever be won, every year more money is spent on it and every year the consumption/production of drugs increases. The relatively new designer drugs makes the prospects of winning even worse (if possible).
* Remove the illegal market from criminal organisations
* Limit the suffering of poor people caught up in the drugs trade by no fault of their own (poor farmers -> coca / opium / hemp), people more or less forced to smuggle drugs
* Limit the suffering for people using drugs

Money now spent on fighting drugs can be used for information campaigns and treatment programs.