PDA

View Full Version : How to psyche yourself up for deployment?

DefensorFortis
12-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, with the new year coming, it means just one more year in the states before A'Stan for me. The Army has me covered in how to physically prepare for the deployment (battle drills, ranges, PT etc.) But how do you mentally/emotionally prepare for it?

Any tid bits of knowledge from any vets?

Frontier47
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Your going to see a new place. New side of the world, Your going to do something that not many people have done. Your going to have the ability to save a nice portion of money. Most of all, your going to get that Combat Patch! The Army Makes way more sense when you are in the Combat zone, then in Garrison, you'll see what i mean. You'll probably like it, You can choose to excel at your job, And become the go-to guy or go through the motions. Make good friends, don't get caught up in drama. Keep your eye out for complacency.

nastyleg
12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
There really is no way to fully prepare for the life altering journey you are about to embark on. Save your money and dont forget to use tsp funds when in country. Keep a journal up to date and stay safe.

Pro Patria

DefensorFortis
12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Your going to see a new place. New side of the world, Your going to do something that not many people have done. Your going to have the ability to save a nice portion of money. Most of all, your going to get that Combat Patch! The Army Makes way more sense when you are in the Combat zone, then in Garrison, you'll see what i mean. You'll probably like it, You can choose to excel at your job, And become the go-to guy or go through the motions. Make good friends, don't get caught up in drama. Keep your eye out for complacency.

Thanks, good advice. The Army really does make more sense in a combat zone than in garrison? I hope so, because shit get's all gaggle fucked as it is in garrison, but I'll take your word.

Windmill69
12-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Thanks, good advice. The Army really does make more sense in a combat zone than in garrison? I hope so, because shit get's all gaggle fucked as it is in garrison, but I'll take your word.

It really does! Almost all the stupid rules seem to make sense there.
On how to prepare, that is different for each and everyone. I've been deployed 4 times and prepped myself 4 times in a different way. One thing that I personally did like, was the fact that I read a lot of books about the area that I was going to. Puts everything more in perspective when you are there and helps you to speed up your orientation.
Once you are there, live it, feel it and remember it. Remeber how certain area's look, sound, smell etc. That can be a livesaver. Because you will know when something is not right in that area. On other piece of advice. Respect the local population, but always keep your caution. (and listen to your NCO's)
Good luck & stay low!

BrendenF11
12-29-2011, 02:26 AM
I personally tied up all my loose ends, bad relationships and the like. That helped immensely when I got home! Also read about where I was going, what I would be doing, asked questions etc.

Most importantly, I think, I focussed on my training! It is important stuff, it's like a push up, it needs to be complete muscle memory by the time you get to where your headed.

My emotions went up and down from the full on "HELL YEAH LETS DO THIS SHIT!, to the fuck I really dont wanna do this right now. Just keep in mind that everyone emotions and reactions up to, and including during, a deployment will vary widely. Take them as they come, and let them run their coarse.