PDA

View Full Version : 14 bomb-sniffing dogs on way to Afghanistan died in truck

jamieooh
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Lawsuit: 14 bomb-sniffing dogs on way to Afghanistan died in truck
By ALLAN TURNER, HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Updated 01:40 p.m., Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The death of 14 bomb-sniffing dogs allegedly housed in an unventilated sealed truck while awaiting air shipment from Houston to military forces in Afghanistan has spawned a lawsuit in which requested damages may top $1 million.

Named in the suit filed this week in 281st state District Court in Harris County are Indian Creek Enterprises, Inc. — doing business as Animal Port Houston — and Live Animal Transportation Services.

Lawyers for the dogs' owners, Florida-based American K-9 Detection Services said the animals — German shepherds and Belgian Malinois — died on Dec. 21 while housed in a truck at Animal Port Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport facility.

In an unsuccessful bid to settle the matter without going to court, a Houston lawyer for the Florida company asked the defendants to pay $1.3 million in damages and $30,000 in legal fees.
According to the lawsuit, the animals — Tiny, Rex, Rocky, Crock, Dork, Harrie, Stress, Sigo, Rex, Jaco, Kimbo, Kilo, Albert and Bak — were taken the Houston shipping facility on Dec. 20. A veterinarian had certified all were in good health.

When it was not possible to ship the animals on a same-day flight, the lawsuit contends Animal Port Houston employee Christopher Hay said the dogs would be boarded overnight in the company's kennel and warehouse.

The animals were to be flown to Afghanistan Dec. 21, 2010.
But when agents for the dogs' owners visited the shipping facility early on that morning, they found the animals inside an unattended refrigerated box truck, the lawsuit says. The truck was running with the doors partly ajar.

The agents smelled a rancid odor, the lawsuit says, and when they shook the crates, the dogs inside failed to move. They found blood on the truck floor and in some crates and damage that suggested two animals had tried to escape the containers.

All the dogs were dead. Hay who now is the owner of Live Animal Transportation Services said Wednesday he was familiar with the incident but unaware he had been named in the lawsuit.
Thomas Schooler, owner of Indian Creek Enterprises, could not immediately be reached for comment.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Lawsuit-14-bomb-sniffing-dogs-on-way-to-2402337.php

nastyleg
12-15-2011, 01:23 AM
This is a serious outrage. Those dogs could have saved hundreds of lives. Not to mention the inexcusable animal cruelty done.

SgtJim
12-15-2011, 05:03 AM
hollyshit! wtf??
i never heard about this before.....
what a shame!!!!!!!!!
i want to see those who are responsibility for this in the same truck......
arrrrghghhhh.......im angry now.........
these mtfs who are leave his/her dogs in the car in the parking lot with closed windows, while shopping....
im always reporting to the security when i see this, asking them to shout to the microphone the car type, the plates numbers, and "a dog currently eating a seat in the car"

gutro
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
I feel sick to my stomach.... Lock the staff in a fucking crate!

jamieooh
12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
hollyshit! wtf??
i never heard about this before.....
what a shame!!!!!!!!!
i want to see those who are responsibility for this in the same truck......
arrrrghghhhh.......im angry now.........
these mtfs who are leave his/her dogs in the car in the parking lot with closed windows, while shopping....
im always reporting to the security when i see this, asking them to shout to the microphone the car type, the plates numbers, and "a dog currently eating a seat in the car"
Jim I checked to see if this was on your blog before I posted the story.
This is outrageous.

cormack
12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Poor dogs, this is fucking terrible : (