PDA

View Full Version : Seattle welfare recipient lives in million dollar home

jamieooh
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Feds: Seattle welfare recipient lives in million dollar home

by CHRIS INGALLS / KING 5 News

Posted on December 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Updated today at 12:45 PM

SEATTLE -- She lives in a beautiful waterfront home on Seattle’s Lake Washington. Yet, she's on welfare assistance.

This week federal agents moved in to put a stop to it. They raided her south Lake Washington home armed with a search warrant.

KING 5 News is not naming the woman or her husband because they have not been criminally charged.

Search warrant documents unsealed Friday in federal court reveal that she received more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus monthly cash from the federal and state government for a disability, as well as food stamps.

Property records show the woman lives in a 2,500 square-foot home, with gardens and a boat dock, that is valued at $1.2 million.

Records show she has received welfare benefits while living in the plush home since 2003. Records also show she truthfully provided her address when she applied for benefits.

How could the government allow housing subsidy dollars to someone who openly lives in one of Seattle’s most desirable neighborhoods?

A federal official spoke to KING 5 News on condition of anonymity. He says the housing voucher program provides coupons that help low-income people pay their rent. He says it allows people to get out of housing projects and move into the place of their choosing. However, he says a “flaw” is that the program doesn’t analyze where people are living, even if it is at a ritzy address that should raise a red flag.

Court records show the couple gave money to charities and traveled around the world to exotic places like Turkey, Tel Aviv and resort towns in Mexico.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Feds--Seattle-welfare-recipient-lived-in-million-dollar-home-134943613.html

SgtJim
12-07-2011, 07:10 AM
lol, the money spoken....

many-many familiar story from my(?) country.....and all of the central and east europe countries
btw, it's called corruption?!?

nastyleg
12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
What someone taking advantage of the government's charity to help out those who cannot or will not tale care of themselves!? Outrageous, the thought that any normal self respecting human being would ever do this. I refuse to acknowledge this article sir. Furthermore if lavish fabrications like this article are ever published again I will have to challenge you morals as a gentlemen and request that you meet me on my estate where we shall solve all manner character and morals like true gentlemen........ok I was using a bit much of sarcasm and got carried away. I don't give a Fuck because I am on vacation.

eaglethebeagle
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Lets see if I follow this... they are rich yet living off of government or tax payers money. Sounds like politicians to me. Seriously though if a politician is a millionaire why do they need to be paid with tax funds to be the politician? Why waste tax dollars if we are a nation in debt? The rich politicians don't need more money and wouldn't they still be politicians just for the power and influence they get while in office?