PDA

View Full Version : Obama does OZ 2011

mickk
11-15-2011, 02:58 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/16as7k1.png

The door of the Beast, the man with the pipe up his Suit, the man with the cool laptop bags ;) love it all!

I thought I would make a post about the historic visit of President Obama to Australia this week. Obama has previously cancelled two visits to Australia. This visit will be the only visit of a US President in Office to Australia since we went all the way with LBJ.

This will be an apolitical story on my part, I intend to share security coverage and pomp and ceremony, as the President must be accorded appropriate respect, no matter who is in office.

He arrives tomorrow in Canberra, will address Parliament, do a few photo ops, get on the piss and fly to darwin the next day when the good stuff comes out.

Canberra will be in lockdown, which doesnt mean much as no one lives there anyway. When Australia was deciding where to put the capital, the rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney could not be resolved, so they stuck it half way, up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere in the 1920s and built a city in a hole between two mountains and called it Canberra. Only politicians and public servants live there, its a shithole. If the Australian War Memorial wasnt there no one would go.

Hmm the War Memorial is closed due to the visit, thats a bit over the top. He should be going there and laying a wreath, Id be amazed if he doesnt.

Canberra will have 24/7 F18A coverage, geeze Id love a bit of that. If its sunny, they will be doing laps at 40,000 ft the contrails will be good. There was a mention of decoy choppers, so maybe Obama will be flying in the Marines Chopper, gee Id love to see that too, but he is not visiting my State. I dont know where he would fly it too, because Canberra is about as big as a Walmart car park. There was also a reference to a "squad" of ready reaction troops said to be about 20 riding behind.

I am wondering if there are levels of security depending on where the President is. Surely Canberra rates less security than Moscow say?

The papers have posted a guide to AF1 and stuff at the link below.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/barack-obama-covered-against-attack-by-crocodile-during-nt-visit/story-fn7kjcme-1226195598352

The visit will be covered live, I be at work but will record it and cut and post any good bits. This may all be a bit dull for you, but if you like boys toys, this visit is as good as it gets downunder.

You see, and Im not being patronising, its not uncommon to see the current Prime Minister or State Premier walking around with none, one or two minders depending on where you are. If you are an ex anything, you dont get any security. There was only a problem once when Prime Minister Arthur Caldwell was shot in the face with a shot gun through his car window by a bloke who was Schizophrenic at the time. He wrote a book about it, "The treatment and the cure" a good read if you can find it. This was the 60s, the media didnt make much of it at the time because the shooter was a nutter.

So dont get to see much here.

Dan Quayle was here once, I went to see him, no one else did. I did a recce, sussed out possible choke points, slow points, level of security and chose my spot. There I waited for the cavalcade and here it comes. I had chosen a spot on Royal Parade where it narrows, I had guessed correctly that they would pass down the tram tracks, there is a bit of a dip, so I was guessing the outriders would slow at this point and cause a bit of a chain reaction which would pass back through the convoy, to maintain distance, and they did.

Some fool of a local Copper told me to move like he was in the Gestapo and Hitler was on his way, so I did then moved back. I crouched and there was my target, so much for security, me 10 feet from an almost stopped VP limo and no one inbetween us. So I gave a hearty thumbs up and yelled Gday Dan! and Mr. Quayle, slouched on the back seat, tie undone, one arm out resting on the head rests looked down and across and gave a nonchalant wave back with his other hand and off they went.

He was on his way to the airport and he had the "thank god thats over" look of a businessman on his way home for xmas.

I stood there grinning and waving to everyone else who followed, no one waved back. I did get a thumbs up from the last US bloke in the convoy, sitting on the tailgate of something black, rifle in left hand, butt kinda between his thighs.

Another Copper appeared on a motorbike and called me a fuckwit, which was a bit sad because I knew a few of them at the time. He said something about being shot ra ra all BS and off I went.

I think Obama is very popular here, but I also expect the rent a crowd anti everything to have a go. A bit of a go, they are not too stupid. they know if they play up there will be no questions asked bang gone! to the slammer.

I think a lot of nice things will be said by both sides, I am looking forward to seeing if Obama thinks the US saved Australia from Japan like our stupid female red headed PM does. The facts dont support that theory, but history is like that.

We dont have a lot of historical pomp and ceremony in our Parliament so no blowing of bugles, he will be announced and walk in. Obama will address both houses, which is a big deal in terms of tradition. We also dont clap a lot, a minute is a long time for Aussies to clap. We domt stand up and clap like US politicians do at the end of a sentence or statement, but our pollies will do, and do so like school kids I expect. To us locals it will look pathetic and staged. We know their normal faces, they will all be looking at each other to see what they should do and for how long and with how much passion. We will be able to tell what they are really thinking, it should be a lot of fun.

The big announcement for Darwin on thursday remains a secret. This has got to be with the financial benefit to the Northern Territory, AKA Darwin. Im expecting a big "this is huge for the local economy" speil, so this has to be about 5000 troops I reckon.

Security in Darwin will be something special, its still a backwater. To be frank, I reckon the cops will tonight be nabbing as many of the local natives known as "abbos" and shipping them out of town with as much grog as they can fit in the back of the paddie wagons. Darwin is full of drunks laying about under trees. To stop them all falling on the road, they will have to clear them, physically move them. So instead of Obama seeing real Darwin, he will meet a couple of tamed ones who will do a bit of a sing song, play a bit of didge, do a smoking ceremony and then hit the piss like there is no tomorrow.

I expect Obama will also meet a few local US troops already stationed in Darwin.

There that should put you to sleep for tonight. If I hit submit new thread and this vanishes, I will commit suicide.

nastyleg
11-15-2011, 03:22 AM
I thought I would make a post about the historic visit of President Obama to Australia this week. Obama has previously cancelled two visits to Australia. This visit will be the only visit of a US President in Office to Australia since we went all the way with LBJ.

This will be an apolitical story on my part, I intend to share security coverage and pomp and ceremony, as the President must be accorded appropriate respect, no matter who is in office.

He arrives tomorrow in Canberra, will address Parliament, do a few photo ops, get on the piss and fly to darwin the next day when the good stuff comes out.

Canberra will be in lockdown, which doesnt mean much as no one lives there anyway. When Australia was deciding where to put the capital, the rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney could not be resolved, so they stuck it half way, up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere in the 1920s and built a city in a hole between two mountains and called it Canberra. Only politicians and public servants live there, its a shithole. If the Australian War Memorial wasnt there no one would go.

Hmm the War Memorial is closed due to the visit, thats a bit over the top. He should be going there and laying a wreath, Id be amazed if he doesnt.

Canberra will have 24/7 F18A coverage, geeze Id love a bit of that. If its sunny, they will be doing laps at 40,000 ft the contrails will be good. There was a mention of decoy choppers, so maybe Obama will be flying in the Marines Chopper, gee Id love to see that too, but he is not visiting my State. I dont know where he would fly it too, because Canberra is about as big as a Walmart car park. There was also a reference to a "squad" of ready reaction troops said to be about 20 riding behind.

I am wondering if there are levels of security depending on where the President is. Surely Canberra rates less security than Moscow say?

The papers have posted a guide to AF1 and stuff at the link below.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/barack-obama-covered-against-attack-by-crocodile-during-nt-visit/story-fn7kjcme-1226195598352

The visit will be covered live, I be at work but will record it and cut and post any good bits. This may all be a bit dull for you, but if you like boys toys, this visit is as good as it gets downunder.

You see, and Im not being patronising, its not uncommon to see the current Prime Minister or State Premier walking around with none, one or two minders depending on where you are. If you are an ex anything, you dont get any security. There was only a problem once when Prime Minister Arthur Caldwell was shot in the face with a shot gun through his car window by a bloke who was Schizophrenic at the time. He wrote a book about it, "The treatment and the cure" a good read if you can find it. This was the 60s, the media didnt make much of it at the time because the shooter was a nutter.

So dont get to see much here.

Dan Quayle was here once, I went to see him, no one else did. I did a recce, sussed out possible choke points, slow points, level of security and chose my spot. There I waited for the cavalcade and here it comes. I had chosen a spot on Royal Parade where it narrows, I had guessed correctly that they would pass down the tram tracks, there is a bit of a dip, so I was guessing the outriders would slow at this point and cause a bit of a chain reaction which would pass back through the convoy, to maintain distance, and they did.

Some fool of a local Copper told me to move like he was in the Gestapo and Hitler was on his way, so I did then moved back. I crouched and there was my target, so much for security, me 10 feet from an almost stopped VP limo and no one inbetween us. So I gave a hearty thumbs up and yelled Gday Dan! and Mr. Quayle, slouched on the back seat, tie undone, one arm out resting on the head rests looked down and across and gave a nonchalant wave back with his other hand and off they went.

He was on his way to the airport and he had the "thank god thats over" look of a businessman on his way home for xmas.

I stood there grinning and waving to everyone else who followed, no one waved back. I did get a thumbs up from the last US bloke in the convoy, sitting on the tailgate of something black, rifle in left hand, butt kinda between his thighs.

Another Copper appeared on a motorbike and called me a fuckwit, which was a bit sad because I knew a few of them at the time. He said something about being shot ra ra all BS and off I went.

I think Obama is very popular here, but I also expect the rent a crowd anti everything to have a go. A bit of a go, they are not too stupid. they know if they play up there will be no questions asked bang gone! to the slammer.

I think a lot of nice things will be said by both sides, I am looking forward to seeing if Obama thinks the US saved Australia from Japan like our stupid female red headed PM does. The facts dont support that theory, but history is like that.

We dont have a lot of historical pomp and ceremony in our Parliament so no blowing of bugles, he will be announced and walk in. Obama will address both houses, which is a big deal in terms of tradition. We also dont clap a lot, a minute is a long time for Aussies to clap. We domt stand up and clap like US politicians do at the end of a sentence or statement, but our pollies will do, and do so like school kids I expect. To us locals it will look pathetic and staged. We know their normal faces, they will all be looking at each other to see what they should do and for how long and with how much passion. We will be able to tell what they are really thinking, it should be a lot of fun.

The big announcement for Darwin on thursday remains a secret. This has got to be with the financial benefit to the Northern Territory, AKA Darwin. Im expecting a big "this is huge for the local economy" speil, so this has to be about 5000 troops I reckon.

Security in Darwin will be something special, its still a backwater. To be frank, I reckon the cops will tonight be nabbing as many of the local natives known as "abbos" and shipping them out of town with as much grog as they can fit in the back of the paddie wagons. Darwin is full of drunks laying about under trees. To stop them all falling on the road, they will have to clear them, physically move them. So instead of Obama seeing real Darwin, he will meet a couple of tamed ones who will do a bit of a sing song, play a bit of didge, do a smoking ceremony and then hit the piss like there is no tomorrow.

I expect Obama will also meet a few local US troops already stationed in Darwin.

There that should put you to sleep for tonight. If I hit submit new thread and this vanishes, I will commit suicide.

pretty sad state of affairs when the us present has not visited australia since when it was lyndon baines johnson. The blood both our countries have shed together. Damn shame. A good book to read about the doomed asiatic fleet is The Last Battle Station. It follows the USS Houston. My old infantry regiment is the 31st infantry. If it were not the Aussie's we would have had even tougher time with the Japanese.

mickk
11-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Ah well mate, they call it politics, it still takes a day on a plane to get here.

With regard to the War memorial being closed, maybe the reason is because he is going to lay a wreath at the tomb of the unknown Australian soldier.

I posted a video from tonights news just after I posted this, seems my good humouor is reflected in the TV news.

I have a book I just got it, Abandon Ship on the loss of the USS Indianapolis. I read a lot of Navy non fiction. Those blokes, stuck on a tin can with no where to go, they have always been underrated IMHO. The Navy always comes across as cushy, good chow, seven seas, sea the world etc sounds fun until someone starts shooting at you I imagine.

Away all Boats I have a soft spot for, its also a great read. The best of all is "Admiral of the Fleet" by Cunningham. From boy sailor to Admiral of the Royal Navy during WW2. Its a huge book and every page is enticing. His wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cunningham,_1st_Viscount_Cunningham_of_Hynd hope is worth a read. He lived from 1880 something to 1960 something all but a few years were in the navy. From sail to engines a really inspirational forgotten story. I will check out the book you have.

I just found this link and it has pretty much all the info I guessed at. It seems our idiot media has chosen not to report its contents in full or was not aware of the press briefing.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/11/09/press-briefing-previewing-presidents-trip-hawaii-australia-and-indonesia

nastyleg
11-16-2011, 01:01 AM
I will add them for my next years to read list. I have to finish up General Tommy Franks' auto bio. Excellent read so far huge insights into the inner workings of the pentagon and the us military.

mickk
11-16-2011, 03:11 AM
The President of the United States of America touched down at 15.09 hrs local time. It was the sweetest landing Ive seen. Ive posted a video of it. The nose wheel hangs for 12 seconds. As I type the PM has just announced marines will start with 250 and go to 2500, a full task Force in 5 years time.

All TV stations across the country now covering Obama live speech. I will post as he speaks.

He is 'making it clear that the US is stepping up its presence in Asia'.

"No stronger ally than Australia" "Bringing economies closer together" "new model for trade across the region"

"Two nations standing together shoulder to shoulder in afghanistan, I thank Australia... I thank your extraordinary troops...."

"I am very pleased we can make these announcements together on Australian soil... together we effectively will strengthen our defences" "Rotations of marines and Aircraft will enhance our defence... this builds on our decades of work together...Im looking forward to Darwin tomorrow.....Our committment to this region that is enduring and unwavering....so Im very pleased...I want to thank the Australian people for the kindness...their friendship and solidarity makes our alliance one of the strongest in the world"

First press question was staged re our recent KIA by ANA and chance of overall success. Gives Obama the chance to go into prepared answer mode.

He just said he was opposed to Iraq War from the start. Just rambling now.... talking but not saying anything.

Second question is from US reporter on GFC and France. Stupid Moll, we want to hear about Guns.

This is better he was asked if the US had anything to do with Australias announcement this week to explore the option of selling Uranium to India. He said he had nothing to do with it and with a strange look said he figure there are some pretty smart people wokring for the Australian Govt and they have realised that India is a major player and that it is in Australias interests to "cultive that relationship with India".

Some US bird now asking about China and his announcement today of a permanent US presence in China, wont it increase tensions?

Obama is saying the Chinese need to rethink their attitude to trade, the Asia pacific market is the new US market, its going to be huge and China can be a part of it if it plays by the rules.

Conference over.

The motorcade was covered well. What is on the big black squat truck that rides at the tail of the convoy? Is it a safe house or does it have men or gear in it?

mickk
11-17-2011, 02:52 AM
I have to apologise, Ive got lots of good footage that is of the security and ceremony, but Ive got no way of shrinking the files small enough to post. I will try and post a collection of pics on the weekend.

Can someone help me, can I insert [img]...[img} here or do I have to use the file manager? because that thing only allows 17 kb!

This morning the President addressed both houses of parliament and is now in Darwin. He will visit the memorial to USS Peary sunk at Darwin in 1942 with 91 souls lost, and lay a wreath.

The troop announcement has already riled China, this is going to ba an exciting time in Oz. It goes against all the left wing labor party that is currently in Govt to allow US troops here, especially armed permanent ones. We have never ever had a foreign power based here, many will be wondering if it is a compliment or a set up or an insult. Australia stuck between US and China, should be fun for a while. The President today really let it be clear that the US runs the Pacific and its hands off to everyone else.

I got a great pic of the door of the beast and the guy holding it, looks like an ex seal, lil stocky bloke with this strange bulge under his jacket, looks like a pipe!

In one video, a photographer at the airport gets about three feet from a SS bloke, sees him out of the corner of his eye, shits himslef and moves himself and bag on ground faster that you can blink, it was so funny, the SS didnt even blink.

My favourite car in the convoy, the one with the tailgate open and the guys sitting on the gate with finger near safety was shown front on on TV but the grunt end was carefully edited out, spewing.

No videos have emerged of the F18 coverage, I guess they are just too high.

No reports of chopper movements. There was talk of Obama coming down here to my State to watch the Presidents Cup Golf, that is on 1 mile from where I work, but I knew that was rubbish. It would have taken AF1 30 minutes to get here max coz it takes QANTAS 45 min. 10 min on the chopper to the tee. I guess it just wasnt worth it. Golf Course, foreign country.

mickk
11-17-2011, 03:15 AM
The President is just about to address Aussie troops in Darwin, they are in a tin shed, 99% humidity and 30 degrees, be an interesting speech, he has just had welcome to country ceremony by indeed a tame aboriginal. No ranting, no insults, no coouched statements, just a nice welcome, like they welcomed the yanks in WW2 who the locals found "friendly and engaging" unlike the local aussies who were angry and bigoted towards them at the time.

It looks very much like it will be an Army show, much like the ones he holds in the US. He has not really mentioned Afghanistan to date, stand by this will be the Afghanistan speech.

WOW MARK DONALDSON V.C. IS THERE! I reckon this might be the first time a serving US President has met a Aussie V.C. winner.

They are all in a hanger, better view now, looks like a basketball crowd, this crowd is going to go FUCKING OFF TAP!

AHA he is still 10 minutes away, no wonder the welcome to country was tame. 50 Marines are there, who are currently stationed in Darwin. They will be the cheer leaders, its going to be crazy! I just hope they cover it all!

mickk
11-17-2011, 03:30 AM
He has just been announced as "The President of America" by a Navy girl and he and PM Gillard have been played on to stage by a blues brothers tiune played by a combo.

Aussie PM is being all matey matey to the troops, great atmosphere, she is thanking them all for everything, on and on, good stuff, not reading speech, afghanistan featured heavily, ...days of reward and progress.... see the mission through...Obama is here because we are strengthening the alliance, shoulder to shoulder, training together, meeting challenges in the region etc.

lady and gents PRESIDENT OBAMA

Hello everybody how ya goin ... aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi great stuff from the Pres, doing aussie accent, Obama the nice guy, thanks, thanks, thanks, Obama using local slang, proud to ne the first US pres to visit the NT, crowd goes nuts, Obama recognises local tribes. Not going to give big speeach wants to spend a lot of time shaaking hands.... all of you are the backbone,

Its an honour to be here with the Diggers, you are some of the finest troops in the world like some marines here today HOORAH from the Marines!

I love it!

mickk
11-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Going on about WW2 how the US picked itself up and won that, went to Korea, pledged the collective... defence for peace and security.. together through thick and thin, like now in afghanistan. we work so well you cant tell where our guys end and you guys start, thank you crowd goes mad.

Thanking familes of dead soldiers, saying how went to war memorial and laid wreath, how he saw aussie role of honouor... no words can thank the families enough......making sure Afghanistan can never again attack out people/

Today marks new chapter in alliance. Thank you greatful for freindship and hospitality... perfect place to train, big open spaces, mossies snakes, crocs, going local again, joking abouot his aussie croc insurance... didnt include croc insurance with US health cover reforms.

Darwin is the go, its a great place, its a hub, preservation of peace and security.

Now quoting abouot Australia,. how tough our troops are america honored to be an ally, we together are saying yes wwe have the strength... thank you all.... they very best... god bless etc crowd goes mad.

Obama goes off shaking hands, clapping the aussie troops clapping him.

mickk
11-17-2011, 03:47 AM
In the crowd, SS dont look happy, Obama and the aussies do, poor SS, be afriad of rabid sleeper.

Obama has met Donaldson VC, I will post the vid, a nod and a wink from Donaldson, no worries mate.

WOW the SS blokes eyes are all black so tired. Good close ups, their eyes steely and intense, looking at faces.

Onama grinning like a loon, shirtsleeves of course, mingling, photos, autographs, very charasmatic, san see how he won.

Blokes up the back in the heat look like they have had enough of the circus, want beer.

Been going a good ten minutes, SS waving at something, Obama mobbed, lots of smiles, I can lip read "gday mr president" "Gday mate" Obama "thank you, appreciate it, how are you" etc he is easy to lip read, lady asks for autograph, sure he says, very relaxed, blus bros band is still playing,

THIS IS HYSTERICAL Secret Service blokes are all huffing and puffing and rolling eyes, I gather they are behind time!

mickk
11-17-2011, 03:52 AM
They have suit and ties one one poor bloke is meltiing.

Speeding it up a bit now, nah stopped, must have shaken 500 hands by now.

Tell you what tho these SS blokes eyes swivelling like in the movies, they not happy. They want to go.

OK got him out, WOW 4 blokes block exit after he leaves behind a curtain, intense on that room! Not kinda like waiting for someone, a definate blocking move.

I can imagine the briefing this morning....."fucking friendlt fire... fucking taliban.....fucking plants are everywhere"

These blokes were the most intense they have been so far. Always within arms reach when in that crowd, you could see the over pattern, work out who was going to grab the pres, who was covering what field of fire, who had the exit.

You see here if that was only our PM, there would have been one minder a nd 6 coppers.

TV back on, at the airport, waiting for Obama,, been a game of cat and mouse by our officials and PM who have to beat Obama everywhere by ten minutes so they can greet him.

Darwin has just hit 30 degrees and 99.99999999% humidity, the umbrellas are up.

Here comes the motorcade, might get to see the guns on the tailgate, media a bit slower in darwin.

AF looks great, 1SS per engine, FUCK cut it out again.

OBAMA not in the same beast as yesterday, jogs up stairs, waves, BOOM GONE.

nastyleg
11-17-2011, 03:56 AM
They have suit and ties one one poor bloke is meltiing.

Speeding it up a bit now, nah stopped, must have shaken 500 hands by now.

Tell you what tho these SS blokes eyes swivelling like in the movies, they not happy. They want to go.

OK got him out, WOW 4 blokes block exit after he leaves behind a curtain, intense on that room! Not kinda like waiting for someone, a definate blocking move.

So in your opinion was it a typical state visit...also did he lay a wreath down?

mickk
11-17-2011, 04:11 AM
SS blokes visibly relieved, went down to only 5 guarding AF1 now on taxi. Was lots of shaking of hands as door closed etc from SS, be off on the piss now, good job done.

No it was not a typical State visit. No one else gets 24/7 FA18 Hornet coverage. The local cops looked about average, bit less than for the queen. I figure your blokes had the calls and we complied, no sign of our SAS, or coppers version. Didnt see any snipers on roof tops. He visited a lot of kids and troops, all low threats, didnt do any public walks like the Queen did a couple of weeks ago.

Your SS blokes are, well as you know, not hard to miss, in a class of their own. Some of the Italian protection looks a bit similar, but with the Italians, they all look the same, cant tell good from bad half the time, with all that 3 day growth and everyone with their shooters in the air.

Yes he went to the Australian War Memorial, I will post the vid of it in a day or so.

AF rego 80001 is following AF1 down taxiway which is 28000 by the look of it.

EDIT I have just been looking at some footage, not all in the crowd of troops were smiling. maybe they were tired, maybe they wernt happy, maybe they didnt like him, maybe they didnt get the jokes, but they were not happy.