PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court to Rule on Stolen Valor Act

USAFAmmo
10-30-2011, 09:34 PM
I read this in this months Air Forces Times, and I can't believe that this is even a serious matter. That they are really trying to say that, lying about serving in the military is covered under "Freedom of Speech." All I'm saying is if I see a person wearing decoration and a uniform and has never served .... there will be blood ....

***Supreme Court to rule on Stolen Valor Act

By Andrew Tilghman - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Oct 17, 2011 11:06:05 EDT

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case questioning the constitutionality a 2006 law that makes it a criminal offense to lie about being decorated for military service.

The court said Monday that it will hear the case of Xavier Alvarez. While running for election in 2007 to a seat on a local water board in California, Alvarez claimed that he had been awarded the Medal of Honor while serving in the Marine Corps. He later admitted that he was never in the military.

The government prosecuted him and he pleaded guilty, faced a fine of $5,000 and was ordered to perform 416 hours of community service.

Alvarez appealed the conviction, claiming the Stolen Valor Act violates his freedom of speech. He won, and that ruling was upheld by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in California, which essentially ruled that people have a right to lie about being in the military.

The Justice Department asked the Supreme Court to hear the case and consider reinstating Alvarez’s conviction, and affirming the law’s constitutionality.

The Supreme Court may hear the case during its upcoming term, which would lead to an oral argument in the spring and a ruling by June.***

I wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter, though. As many active, retired, reserves, guard ... We took that oath to defend this nation and the constitution, so does this slightly make it harder? At the same time we would think Americans would be a lttle more understanding about the pride we carry when we earned our place to wear the uniform. Thoughts?

jamieooh
10-30-2011, 10:48 PM
I hope his conviction stands.
I wonder how many people voted for him because they thought he was a veteran or that he was a highly decorated veteran?
How many of us have had to show our dd214 when trying to get a job? Would not your employer fire you if they discovered you forged a dd214 to get a job?