PDA

View Full Version : Stories: Ohio-native extends service, makes ultimate sacrifice

SgtJim
10-21-2011, 06:50 PM
all pictures got descriptions - mouse over it, and also all are available in hi-res (without watermark), just reply here
---
Ohio-native extends service, makes ultimate sacrifice
Regimental Combat Team 8, 2nd Marine Division
Story by Cpl. Benjamin Crilly
Photos by Cpl. logan Pierce
August 16., 2011
---
FORWARD OPERATING BASE JACKSON, Helmand province, Afghanistan - Ohio native Sgt. Daniel J. Patron could have been honorably discharged as Mr. Patron, but chose to extend his enlistment to do one more tour as an explosive ordnance disposal technician.

“I don’t know exactly what his reasons were, but he did extend for one more deployment with his buddies,” said Staff Sgt. Jonathan C. Key, a team leader with Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, 8th Engineer Support Battalion. “You see, Dan was always one of the boys.”

Members of Patron’s EOD platoon gathered with the Marine infantry unit they work alongside in Sangin, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, to honor him and two other Marines at Forward Operating Base Jackson, Aug 16.

Patron knew the threat of improvised explosive devices well and brought his previous experience from Iraq to improve counter-IED measures in Afghanistan. His presence gave Marines the confidence to push on with the mission. They knew he would help them in any way he could, at any time of day.

“Daniel was an expert EOD tech, a solid Marine and a good Man to have by your side,” said Capt. Michael J. Donaldson, the company commander for Alpha Company.

He had an ability to put a smile on other’s faces with his sense of humor and contagious grin.

“The first time I met Daniel was my company’s daily staff meeting. Every night I can see the displeasure on my company staff over having to attend these things, but that is what made my first interaction with Sgt. Patron so memorable,” said Donaldson. “When it came time for EOD to speak, Daniel stood up with a huge smile on his face, introduced himself proudly and then went into a very detailed brief on activities in Sangin. Before he finished speaking I remember leaning over to my first sergeant and whispering ‘This guy smiles way too much to be EOD.’”

“Daniel was like that every night we talked,” said Donaldson. “He was always excited to discuss new intelligence that had come to light or methods we could use to keep our Marines as safe as possible.”

“He always displayed a great attitude to whatever obstacle came down his path. He shied down to no challenge,” said Key. “Sgt. Patron located, closed with and destroyed many IEDs.”

“He approached an unknown device so no else would have to. He died while responding to and interrogating that IED,” said Key. “We don’t know exactly what happened that day, but we do know that Sgt. Dan Patron, by his daily actions, is a hero.”

He saved lives as an EOD technician but also a Marine. On multiple occasions, Patron performed life-saving medical treatment on Marines injured in combat.

“His life was far too short lived, but his accomplishments were extreme. My heart goes out to his wife, Cody, and his family back in Ohio,” said Key. “Sgt. Dan Patron, the dude, was many things to many people and he will never be forgotten.”

11862|11863

11864|11865