PDA

View Full Version : Stories: Finally, Boots in the sand; Stay busy, or die of boredom

SgtJim
10-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Oct. 06., 2011.
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Story by Cpl. Justin Boling

anobody's got same or other experiences, ideas? :)

---

This is a first-person guide to the tips and tricks for other Marines from Fightertown with a deep interest to deploy. If the experience and information shared is helpful, feel free to utilize it.

Journal entry 4: Oct. 3, 2011

The days are long and the weeks are short. At least that is the way it seems here in Afghanistan.

Work is a source of stability that helps keep my mind off what I sometimes feel I’ve given up to deploy. I enjoy going out to the flightline and taking photos of Marines working. I enjoy telling their stories.

I try to work as much as possible, only going back to the living areas long enough to sleep and get ready for the next day. The days seem to blend together, and sometimes it can feel like the only difference between Tuesday and Saturday is what’s for dinner.

I thought I would miss weekends, but I realize now what I like most about my time off in South Carolina is spending it with my wife and two dogs. With my family safely back in the States, it’s not so bad to work almost all the time.

Even when I don’t have a story to write or photos to take, there is always work that needs to be done. Whether setting up a tent or cleaning around the work sections, my farm-boy code of conduct tells me, “if you’re bored, go to work.”

But as important as it is to work, it’s also important to relax. A lot of Marines say that a deployment is a marathon, not a sprint, so I try to pace myself.

When work slows down, I try to take the time to lift weights. Some Marines seem to enjoy running in the oven-like afternoon heat. I like running early when there is a light breeze and an eerie chill in the air.

The lesson I’ve learned is to stay busy and try to find something to do, or time seems to stand still. Maybe keeping busy means reading or taking college classes. Maybe it’s finding time to stay in touch with friends and family back in the States.

Even though I am here far away from home, I sometimes feel like I can’t even go an hour without thinking about the ones I love. Sometimes it drives me forward, and other times it drives me crazy.

I have found sometimes I just like to look at the sky and gauge what I feel like today. Am I sad? Am I happy? Am I agitated? Am I calm? I am a mix of so many emotions, so I just try to feel them to their extent and let it go. It helps to keep me sane, thinking of everyone back home and what I am doing here for them.

Taking pride in what I do is important to stay motivated. Sometimes, it might feel like the purpose of a job is not evident, even here in Afghanistan.

But the way I feel, all work completed is in support of the greater mission in Afghanistan. Every bolt tightened, pallet of supplies moved and convoy headed out is a step toward a more secure home for this country’s people. After all is said and done, and I am an old man, I will know that I helped make a country better.