PDA

View Full Version : Houston VA accused of religious discrimination

nastyleg
08-22-2011, 06:35 PM
By Juan A. Lozano - The Associated Press
Posted : Monday Aug 22, 2011 15:27:52 EDT

HOUSTON — A federal judge on Monday asked attorneys for several veterans groups and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to work toward settling a lawsuit accusing Houston VA officials of religious discrimination.

Three local veterans groups have accused VA officials at the Houston National Cemetery of banning such religious words as “God” and censoring their prayers at soldiers’ funerals.

The lawsuit filed by the Veterans of Foreign Wars District 4, the American Legion Post 586 and the National Memorial Ladies says VA officials barred prayer and religious speech in burials at the Houston cemetery unless families submit a specific prayer or message in writing to the cemetery’s director. The lawsuit also accuses VA officials of not allowing them to use religious words such as “God” or “Jesus.”

During a hearing on the lawsuit, U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes called on both sides to find a solution.

“I hope the parties will settle,” he said.

Fred Hinrichs, one of the attorneys for the VA, denied there was religious discrimination or limits on people saying “God” or “Jesus” at soldiers’ funerals in Houston or anywhere around the country.

“The VA wants to do what the family wants,” he said. “If the family wants a (religious) recitation read, they provide it for somebody to read it.”

But Hughes seemed sympathetic to the veterans groups during the half-hour hearing packed by veterans, both seated and standing.

Hughes criticized what he believed were efforts by the VA to portray members of the National Memorial Ladies, a local nonprofit that honors veterans and their families, as “old ladies ... attacking people” with religious messages.

Hughes also told Hinrichs that attorneys for the veterans groups have continued to amplify their claims by “supplying excruciating detail,” including affidavits by veterans and relatives who believe they have been discriminated against by VA officials.

“We have to solve this problem,” the judge said.

Hinrichs and attorneys for the Liberty Institute, a Texas religious rights group representing the veterans groups, said they are trying to settle the case.

The allegations follow ones made in May by a Houston pastor, Scott Rainey, who sued to be allowed to refer to Jesus Christ at a Memorial Day invocation at the Houston cemetery. A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order forbidding VA officials from censoring the pastor’s prayer.

Lisa Ward, 43, who was added as a plaintiff in the case last week, said after the hearing that her husband’s funeral in May had to be moved to a private chapel so that she could include the VFW ritual in the service. Her husband, Richard Ward, 53, was in the military for more than 30 years.

The lawsuit has prompted several members of Texas’ congressional delegation to ask the VA to investigate the allegations.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/08/ap-houston-va-accused-of-religious-discrimination-082211/

KGCNC
08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
What a fucking disgrace! Is the "certain va officials" on Westboros payroll? Submit anything my ass. Who the fuck are YOU to regulate ANYTHING at a RELIGIOUS ceremony? The sheer balls it takes to even request something (in writing) like that from a grieving family is beyond comprehension. Rage over...

bbatz
08-23-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm an atheistic, but I don't really understand this whole preocupation on 'neutrality of state' when forbidding people who express their beliefs in public ceremonies... I mean, there are a lot of religious people in military, and when a soldier dies, it's totally natural for his fellow comrades to talk about god etc...

The 'rule' should be inverted. People are free to express and use religious words UNLESS the dead's family asks them not to.

nastyleg
08-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Nail on the head batz