PDA

View Full Version : Legal gun handling question (USA)

gazzthompson
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Probably an obvious answer but I've always wondered this and figured this is a better place than any to answer, what's the law on carrying and drinking? Is it like no drinking and driving, no drinking and carrying ? I also assume its state specific.

kubala1014
08-10-2011, 12:08 PM
You are correct in that it is state specific. I found specific references from Virginia (http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#RevocationSuspensi onorSurrenderofPermit) and Louisiana (http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html) saying it is illegal to be under the influence of any alcohol.

I doubt you will find a state where it is legal to carry a firearm while under the influence.

Mel
08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Very good kubala :thumbsup:
Just a little side note.In most states,It's illegal to even enter a place that serves alcohol with a firearm on you.

serpa6
08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I had a friend in mass that was at a bar, there was a disturbance at the bar not by him and I also know the officers that responded, he had his 38 snub on his belt but it was not loaded he was totally legal Had a C and C permit But here was the catch One of my friends the officer asked him to give him his firearm till the disturbance was over He handed it to him and my friend looked at and said its not loaded
My friend who was carrying it told him I am in a bar and if something happens and its life threatening to the establishment, then i have the speedloader in the pocket My friend the officer had no problem with that.
But another officer overheard the conversation . He told my friend to surrender his permit firearm speed loader and then told him like this, You have a permit to carry this gun must be loaded at all time It is no ileagle to carry it in the bar, but the state of mass issued this permit to you and you know the rules about carrying it (this cop was being an asshat) he told my friend to go to the police station to see the chief and explain that to him
Now that really is fucked up law and another in mass if you have a permit to carry and dont have the pistol with you they can take your permit to
Hows that for being a fucked up state

KGCNC
08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
In NC (per various websites) no guns while drinking and no guns in a place where alcohol is served.

gazzthompson
08-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Ah , makes sense. Cheers guys.

nastyleg
08-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Here in As, you can c/c and o/c with or without a permit. In the case of places that serve liquor topic can but you cannot drink liquor. Loaded weapon is good to go.