PDA

View Full Version : New Army PT test

lemontree
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Nasty Girl here,Holy shit are we training for the Olympics now? O_0
Sorry i don't think system allows me to link but its from Army times
Oh and for the push ups you are not allowed to move your hands , only place to put them is under your shoulders and also you cant rest by putting your butt in the air like the old test, non stop for a min or you fail.Now i can pass that and the rowers but the run time is harsh and the jump at 79 inches!?, damn what am i suppose to be, a track star? ......lol anyone else have thoughts on this.

The new fitness test: Can you pass?

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Jul 25, 2011 8:34:28 EDT

One frustrating factor is repeatedly heard among the ranks as soldiers prepare for the new fitness test: There is no way to measure how well — or how badly — you are doing.

Until now.

The Army Physical Fitness School, which played a key role in designing the new test, is building the scoring scales that will separate the average from the exceptional. The school has completed 3,000 of 10,000 initial tests. The final scoring scale is still a long way off, but patterns emerging in the initial tests provide a good look at what you will need to pass the challenging new test.

The school provided Army Times an exclusive look at the average scores for men and women in each of the new test’s five categories, as well as the high and low numbers for each.

The averages, rounded to the closest whole number, are:

Push-ups in one minute: Men, 36; women, 19.

Shuttle run: Men, 16 seconds; women, 18 seconds.

Rower in one minute: Men, 33; women, 31.

Long jump: Men, 79 inches; women, 61 inches.

1.5-mile run: Men, 11:02; women, 13:12.

These scores are not the goal, unless your goal is to be average. But if you hit these numbers, you should pass.

While the fitness school continues to compile the data needed to build the full scoring model, we will use a statistical analysis of the averages and compare them with average scores obtained on the current fitness test to help you see where you are, and where you need to be.

This effort is challenging because the Army does not keep good statistical or historic data on individual fitness tests and trends — a fact bemoaned by fitness school officials. For our purposes, we will compare these new averages with the average scores of trainees at Fort Jackson, S.C., and the average scores of noncommissioned officers whose scores equate to points toward promotion.

In the old test

Male trainees averaged 49 push-ups, 62 sit-ups and a 2-mile run time of 15:09.

Female trainees averaged 39 push-ups, 61 sit-ups and a run time of 16:37.

The majority of trainees are 24 or younger, with most coming in under the legal drinking age. Still, there is little difference between the scores of the average 17-year-old and 42-year-old trainee.

In terms of promotion points

Soldiers competing for sergeant, on average, are awarded 110 points. This equates to an average of 250 points on the fitness test, said Diana Dawa, spokeswoman for Army G-1.

An average of 64 promotion points is awarded to soldiers competing for staff sergeant, but don’t let the number fool you. The average soldier in this category scores a 259 on the test.

There are hundreds of ways to come up with 250 points on a test, and the points awarded change as you add candles to the birthday cake. The chart, “Making 250,” at left, shows what an average soldier would need to score 83 points in each of the three events, for a cumulative total of 249 points.

In the new test

Initial results from the new test are consistent with the old scoring scale, but age hasn’t been “a whole lot of a factor,” said Kelly Williams, a researcher with the fitness school’s experimentation and analysis element.

When comparing the old data with averages emerging from the new test, you see the number of push-ups in one minute is a little more than half the number done, on average, in the current two-minute test.

Though a different event, the rower totals follow a similar pattern when compared with sit-up averages. The run also shows similar patterns.

In our analysis, the new test is seeing a 7:21-mile average pace for the men and an 8:48-mile pace for the women. In comparison, the average male trainee runs the current test at a 7:39-mile pace, while women run a 8:17 pace.

Based on these early indications, you can simply transition the point tables from the current test to these three events in the new test to have a pretty good idea of where you stand.

To prepare for the long jump, a good target is a distance 10 percent greater than your height, officials said.

For you PT studs who want an above-average comparison, we offer you scores from the Army’s six Drill Sergeant of the Year competitors. The men would have scored an average of 15 seconds on the shuttle run were it not for two improperly dropped blocks. The women came in at 17 seconds. The men averaged 39 rower reps and 47 push-ups, while the women averaged 37 rower reps and 19 push-ups. The average long jump was 82.5 inches for men and 61 inches for the women, and average run times were 12 minutes for women and just under 11 minutes for men.

Keep in mind that our analysis is neither official nor final. The Army can shift the numbers as it wants — and may do that in the future, said Maj. Gen. Richard Longo, who as deputy commanding general of Initial Military Training at Training and Doctrine Command, is heading this effort.

Once soldiers become proficient at the new test, the scoring scale may be adjusted to make it harder to achieve higher scores, and the subsequent promotion points they carry, he said.

The final 7,000 evaluation tests will be completed in September, Longo said. About two months will be needed to dissect the data and make any adjustments.

The final plan will then be presented to Army leadership, and Longo expects implementation Oct. 1, 2012.

BrendenF11
07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
The long jump? Love it! My knees can barely take the run now, without some 4 to 6 tylenol before the test, that long jump will really help.

SMR
07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
The new fitness reg’s are retarded!

The Air Force test is just as bad

I failed my fit test last week not because I failed to meet the requirements but because the civilian running the fit test program felt that I failed.... When I asked to see the reg that governed feelings she lost it. She started yellingat the MSgt and I about questioning her authority. I will be bringing up her conduct when I’m in front of the wing commander explaining my test failure.

serpa6
07-27-2011, 11:26 PM
The new PT test is retarded I agree with SMR In my day it was required for 35 push ups and 50 sit ups Run time 2 mile 10:mins Pass obstacle course in 15 or less Monkey bars under 1 min This is retarded in just for weeks of training i was up to 50 push ups and 75 sit ups we did PT when ever the chance arose In another words if we took a 5 min we made that five mins up by running in forced march 8 mile with full gears Pack weapon etc and equipment had to be the most uncomfortable shit i ever imagined Maybe the new requirements are for Airborne and SF and Ranger schools to weed out the none material people so they dont waste there time Even then if another troop went down would not anyone want to be in extra top condition to get them out of a situation that new test is retarded fuking long jump the long jump we would do is jump as far with all gear over a stream to keep particially dry it sucked when we where on manevers and let me lay this on yah how would you like to do 25 push ups with your ruck on your back not stapped and it if fell off you had to do it over

Sixx
07-28-2011, 02:05 AM
The new fitness reg’s are retarded!

The Air Force test is just as bad

I failed my fit test last week not because I failed to meet the requirements but because the civilian running the fit test program felt that I failed.... When I asked to see the reg that governed feelings she lost it. She started yellingat the MSgt and I about questioning her authority. I will be bringing up her conduct when I’m in front of the wing commander explaining my test failure.

What level is this civilian?
Group, wing or squadron?

Fuck civilians
We used to eat them up like nothing...we don't play that shit.
I can't remember what AFSC you are, but on the Cop side.....we smacked their dicks in the dirt.

A civilian working our Vehicle section shut the bay door on us as we were rolling out; The turret fucking yanked the door completely off and ripped it in half as well.
The bitch that pressed the button tried to lie her ass off, it was hard to control myself on that one. Luckily my spotter was my witness, he yelled out but it was too late....also we had someone on our training section that got it on video. She lost her job

Another piece of shit civilian, squadron level orderly room was doing fitness tests. She was big into the "good ol' boy" system. She hooked up the fatty females making sure none of em would fail, while failing males. She herself was fat and lazy....She never did weigh-ins/measurements....she asked my waist size and I said 110 inches lol.
She wrote it down and later the Shirt called me into his office and said "what the fuck?" so I explained how the 110 inches came about..... He had to retape...36 inches lol

I got a LOA from the commander for fucking around and she got fired after that incident(more people came forward and exposed her)

bottom line, don't let civilians fuck you. They work for us, not the other way around...they tend to forget that.

SMR
07-28-2011, 02:55 AM
I’ve got dual afsc’s 2A373 & 2A571 tactical acft maintenance and heavy acft maintenance

Going to have a discussion with the commander she won’t be keeping her job

death2mooj
07-28-2011, 03:16 AM
I keep hearing about this new pt test but have yet to do one. Been hearing alot about warrior athlete and did some but lately it has just been running, followed by sprinting, followed by short running and core stuff....then running......then long distance running...... Don't go airborne if you dont like running

SMR
07-28-2011, 04:56 AM
I hate running ... that’s why I’m a mechanic!

death2mooj
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I hate running ... that’s why I’m a mechanic!

You all have got it made.

MadeInRu
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
So complicated...

Can't they just check if you're healthy or not? Not like a healthy person can't improve his physical condition in a month with just a simple training.