PDA

View Full Version : Offending cover?

gutro
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Well, as you're all probably aware (If you've read my previous posts) I have written a book. This book is about a Marine suffering from PTSD. He's divorced, an alcoholic, never sees his family and has a physical disability from the war. Basically this guys life is falling apart, and the only thing keeping him together is his psychiatrist that his commanding officer sent him to.

What i want to know is would this cover offend Marines?

I have split the world in half to illustrate that his world is falling apart and the only thing holding it together is the Eagle (representing the psychiatrist).

Note: My real name is not Charles.....well not really. :p

EDIT: "Snippet" from the prologue....

Jacks swivled his turret but it jammed. All I could hear was him swearing as I started calling out targets to our East. We were getting lit up from both sides and the only way to go was straight into more of it.
All of a sudden I heard Tim yell, “I got him! I blew his fucking leg off!”
I yelled back, “Shut up and keep shooting!”
Jacks was banging around trying to un-fuck our Humvee’s primary weapon. It blew my mind how he could focus on unloading and reloading the weapon while bullets zipped past his head.
The noise inside the Humvee was deafening and I started to sing, “It’s the end of the world as we know it, it’s the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.” Time always seemed to slow down when we were engaged. That’s when I thought to myself, ‘I wish I knew the rest of the words to this’.
Then I realized we hadn’t changed lanes and the destroyed truck was now one hundred and fifty meters away.
“DJ! Change lanes!” I screamed as the whole truck continued to fire at various targets. I took two out almost simultaneously. A man came up behind another just as I hit the first one in the head. As he fell, the following two rounds hit the second man in the chest.
There was no response from DJ. I turned away from my sector to look at DJ and yelled, “DJ! Change fucking…” I was stunned. DJ had been hit in the head. His body was slumped over the steering wheel as blood poured from his face onto the floor board.
“The fifty is fucked!” Jacks yelled from above me. “Fuck me! This piece of fucking shit!”
The Humvee was now barreling down the road at forty-five miles an hour, as I pulled DJ’s body off the wheel. His body slumped back into the seat with his head hanging down and towards me. I could see where the bullet had entered his head. I then reached for the steering wheel as I looked out the front of the Humvee. The destroyed truck was now only fifty meters away. I swerved the vehicle to the left to avoid hitting it and everybody in the vehicle was tossed towards the passenger side due to the violence of my turn.
I suddenly felt a sting in my rib cage. I’d been hit. I don’t know if it was the adrenaline, or that it was a ricochet, but other than the sting I didn’t even notice it. I was now five meters from the truck. I saw a large flash and the whole world seemed to flip. My fears were confirmed. There was a shape charged IED hidden underneath the destroyed truck. This in turn produced even more shrapnel than a normal IED and sent it through the entire Humvee. Our Humvee had the front end lifted off the ground and spun ninety degrees counterclockwise. When the Humvee reached it’s final resting place, the front end was all but missing and had completed the roadblock, locking the rest of the convoy in the kill zone. I could hear voices screaming on the comms. I was having trouble focusing and could hear something about the last vehicle in the convoy being destroyed by and RPG. This completed the perfect ambush locking the entire convoy into one spot, surrounded by insurgents. I could hear rounds bouncing all around me as the enemy pelted us with constant fire. The comms were erupting with chatter calling out targets and requesting medics, and that’s when everything started to fade out on me. Voices drifted until all I could hear and feel was the light brown dust blowing around me. I was losing consciousness. This was a fight I would not be able to win.

truffs1010
07-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I am not in a position to comment on the cover, but best of luck with the book.

Malice
07-20-2011, 02:05 PM
First off, I am not a Marine and you'll get the most discerning responses from them..But I am a former service member of my beloved USAF and I can see the symbolism behind the image you are using. Many will not... and my guess is that Marines may see it as an attack on their Corps and not a story about a proud Marine suffering from an illness searching for help.

Just my .02... you really need a leatherneck to respond.

Sixx
07-20-2011, 02:23 PM
USAF as well
But I do know that MARINES and the EG&A are serious business.

I agree with Malice

Looks pretty cool though
I like it

nastyleg
07-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I like it...strong symbolism there

gutro
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Anybody know of any Marines on here?

Stark
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Anybody know of any Marines on here?

There are plenty mate - how about this -

1) Make a post on this forum with part of the book that you wrote - snippet
2) Upload the picture with a link to the forum post on the frontpage - call it what ever - Need help of all Marines on AC

You have my approval

Markoxx
07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
very nice man. good luck with the book.

joelee
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
When I read that, I though you meant hats that would offend people.
I woulda' won that contest I believe. When I was in the Phillipines I bought a hat while I was drunk.
It said:

DRINK BEER,
SMOKE POT,
EAT PUSSY,
AND TRIP LIKE A FUCKING DOG!!!

I loved it, but had to be VERY careful that a Zero didn't see it.
Anyway, as long as the Globe, Anchor, and Eagle is treatded with respect(like made whole on the back cover), that most Marines wouldn't mind. But nobody knows how a Marine will react except another Marine.

gutro
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the idea Stark.... Will do.

joelee
07-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I pick up every military book I see, and at least read the inside of the dust cover.
That's what sells a book too me. The cover gets my attention, the synopsis sells the book.

mattzim
07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I commented on your picture on the front page..

lostfound30
07-22-2011, 01:58 AM
EGA represents the core values of the Marines.Honor Courage Commitment and to alter the EGA in anyway is taking away what it represents.To use a broken EGA is implying that everything it stands for is broke.It could never be used to symbolize one Marines hardships.This image is sending a completely different message than what you are trying to convey.

gutro
07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, positive and negative.

I have learned that the general public seem to like and appreciate the design, however the Marines find it offensive and a representation of the Corps rather than the story. This is what I was afraid of. I personally love the logo and concept, however the last thing I want to do is piss off the Corps (I don't need them hunting my ass down ;)).

Reluctantly, I think i am going to look for a new cover design. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks again to the Marines who have clearly spoken their minds on the design.

SgtJim
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
first of all, i apologize if i'm offending somebody/something....
these pictures are only fast made "sketches"
not developed or final works, just ideas and impressions

Marines rolling/running over the PTSD

a Marine targeting-shooting the PTSD sign

Marines farewell from PTSD...... or something like that

..........just an idea

entering a black room (PTSD).....or leaving that black room....

i found this pic, when i searched some ptsd releated images......

....just another idea

...and another idea

yep, this ideas was interest, i cant make very well :)
but, it;s symbolize another way from ptsd

so, that's all
i hope i can give you some idea and impressions....

and another idea in my mind,
there are Marine Corps combat artists:
Lance Cpl. Rob Bates and Victor Juhasz ( a hungarian....he is American, but his name is hungarian, so i think his family is hungarian)
they've got very good drawings, maybe they can help you to draw a really good cover
i can help you to contast them if needed

gutro
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I like the concepts. The only problem is with photography, there is rights issues. I have to find who took the image, gain their permission to use the image and potentially pay them in order to use it.

Can you send me that PTSD patch though...... I might be able to use it....

SgtJim
07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I like the concepts. The only problem is with photography, there is rights issues. I have to find who took the image, gain their permission to use the image and potentially pay them in order to use it.

Can you send me that PTSD patch though...... I might be able to use it....

i've got all photos datas....all of them from US. Army or Marines, and i think they can be good if you need one of them

the PTSD patch found with google
mine version idnt good enough
just try to search google image: "ptsd patch"

gutro
07-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Just made a new one....

lostfound30
07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Sgt jim is on the right track.If that is what the story is about a Marine and the troubles in his life than the Corps itself is not the problem its the troubles he encounters while being a Marine.No hard feelings at all i respect that you sought out the feedback and wish ya all the best with your book.

shatto
07-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Just made a new one....
The story being about PTSD, I think....in fact use that; "a story about coping with PTSD" or "a Marine copes with PTSD" below the main title and make the authors name very small at the bottom or top of the page.