PDA

View Full Version : What should i join???

conorcolt
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I always leaned towards the Marines but idk. i have a couple friends in the NG/Army who say they love it so lately i have been thinking about becoming an MP in the NG.

Advice/opinions?

joelee
07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey brother, have you considered the Navy? If you get into one of the Ordnance rates (Gunners Mate, Aviation Ordnanceman, Mineman, etc.), you can get into the small boats, on an EOD Team, or just plain Shipboard Security).
If you go shipboard you'll be in the fleet. Travel. The Navy offers you the most opportunity to see moreof the world than the rest of the Branches. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help as much as I can.
Joe

serpa6
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I agree with Joe but get in ordance and aviation and you will see much to the world and get a good career out of it Aviation mechanics are needed in the whole natiion right now its not funny and EOD Much of the demo crews in the US you know the ones that blow buildings up for a living and drop them straight down are in demand I am a Army vet yah you get to see some of the world, just some of it Yah you blow things up can go into aviation but the navy has more to offer If i could do it all over again i would have joined the navy when i was in the army I tried to go into the navy got an offer for aircraft carrier launch and recovery and also Crash and rescue but the army said i had to do my time frist then i could go into the navy But if it was my choice all over again Navy is the way to go
Wish you luck in your decision
Serpa6

Sixx
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
conorcolt, what do you like to do and what are your goals? Do you want to do one enlistment or become career?(20+ years)
How well do you do education wise? Test taking etc?

Do you want to be Enlisted or Commissioned?

Every branch has it's ups and downs bro.....and so does each job specialty. Some are worse than others, while some are outstanding. Depends on what type of person you are.

Do your research and do it really good. Do not and I repeat DO NOT let the recruiters decide for you or blow smoke up your ass.
Take your asvab etc and see what is open to you. Just do not rush anything, once you are in.....YOU ARE IN.....no turning back :D

Also it is wise to pick a specialty that you can use on the outside because you will indeed become a civilian again.
Sure, infantry provides all sorts of experience. But there might be a day when they don't need private contractors, training instructors etc.

Also, please do your research on Military Police.....it's definitely not for everyone.

I joined the USAF as Law Enforcement....then our world started to change and so did our roles. USAF Security Forces, Army MP's, Navy's Master at Arms (MA) are all brutal work and a lot of people cant handle it. So be careful.

Like I said Bro, do your research....really good.

BrendenF11
07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Here is what I did. I went to college, got my degree at a technical college as an electrician. Joined. Chose 13B (cannon crewmember) as my MOS, scored a 84 on the ASVAB so I had my options, chose more of a combat oriented MOS.

I also chose this MOS after doing my research, I knew that it would get me deployed and I knew that it more than likely would put me in a spot outside the wire on convoys/patrols.

You can choose your MOS very carefully and it can certainly advance your career in the civilian world, also keep in mind that the MOS you chose may not have a use if you get deployed right away. Which in turn can end you up on convoys, patrols, gate guard, QRF etc.

My best advice is to choose two or three MOS'. Research those MOS', then actively seek people that have served for some time in those MOS'. Ask them questions, not just what did you do and did you like it, but what have you done, where did you do it, what did you do when you were deployed, were you deployed in a hostile environment etc.

Most importantly choose something that you think you will really enjoy doing! The career path thing is great for choosing an MOS, but also remember that there are so many benefits now for members of the military that you can get a degree, and later reclass to a different MOS to fit your degree which will look great on the civilian side.

This is something I can not stress enough too! While in Iraq I spent a lot of time in a lot of different places, the best were Balad, Victory Base Complex, and Tallil. Now while almost all bases are the same, there was one striking difference with those three.... THE FOOD! They were major air force hubs, and when you hear someone say that the air force has the best food they are not bullshitting you! :)

goinloco1
07-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Whichever branch you choose do not, i repeat, do not let them promise you things if you sign up as an open mos (job).
Make sure you have a firm mos (job) in your contract before signing. Open lets them choose your job and that job will be whatever is needed (and you qualify for) at the time just before leaving basic training.
I've seen too many people get screwed over with this bs.

death2mooj
07-08-2011, 03:52 AM
Join what branch you want to join. Don't let other peoples opinions dictate what you want to do. It's going to be your ass stuck doing it not them.

Ripcord
07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
It's all up to you.

after my aptitude test I had quite a few choices, I still chose Infantry because I wanted to do all the cool stuff I saw in the movies.

I didn't think about a future outside the Military, and now if I was to leave I would have almost 0 skills applicable to the civi world aside from law enforcement or other type service trades.

also during a deployment give this a thought

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc409/Ripcoord/n526770404_5640814_6506.jpg
left is a trades profession in the Military.. on the Right is Infantry/Combat Arms trade

I do not regret making the choice I did, I love what I have done and still do as a soldier on the ground on the front line, but it isn't for everyone.
and like sixx said don't let the recruiters sway you.

Sixx
07-08-2011, 03:16 PM
conorcolt, Some info on joining the military with a lot of tips and details about the Pros/Cons between the Services http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/u/joining_up.htm

here is a list with details on Army MOS's
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

conorcolt
07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
hey thanks guys. im taking in all of what you have said. i definitly dont let the recruiters bullshit me haha. i already had some problems with the marines. i do want to persue a career in law enforcment so i am thinking MP. im going to hopefully talk with a MP who was deployed to iraq before i seriously start talking to recruiters again. i need to get my ass in shape but its hard when its 115 outside. lol night running here i come

KGCNC
07-08-2011, 11:18 PM
My first and only thought was Army. My Dad was in Nam,my uncle was Army and my Grandfather was Army Air Corp (Air Force). Initially when I thought about joining I was gonna go Field Arty. When I asked if they had Machinists,they said yes. I went in under the Civilian Acquired Skills program. I had 2 years of school and a certificate already so I skipped AIT. That program gave me E-2 rank automatically when I went to basic and got my E-3 in less time.
Looking back, had the Air Force been able to give me the job I asked, versus one they would pick, I might have went with them considering their better standard of living.
Once I took my ASVAB and my score was found out by the recruiters (GT of 114 with a sf,mm and co score 120 or better) they were on me like flies on shit. Taking me to dinner,3 calls a day, kissing my ass,etc. Which leads me to THE important piece of advice..... BEFORE you take the ASVAB be sure you have had plenty of rest,food to eat and no bs to mess your day up. This test is important,even if you KNOW what you want to do. If you screw it up you may not get the choice you want. With my score I had basically ANY job I wanted and that leveled the playing field. Being stuck with few options is frustrating. Also it will help with your Re-enlistment options. End of sermon. Lol...

Malice
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
First you will have to join.... THE WAITING LIST....

I think all branches have an almost year long waiting list according to some mil sites I visit.

conorcolt
07-10-2011, 12:34 AM
the only waiting list ive heard of is spots for basic. dont really matter when i enlist in NG.

lemontree
07-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I have been in the NG for 5 years, i joined in 2006 as MOS 21j than put into 21e and im a e-5.I don't have a badge here so im just going to say some info, you don't have to believe me.As far as going into the National Guard you are probably going to be stuck in the e-3, e-4 zone for a while.You will probably get treated a little like crap especially in a MP unit.(not that is a deal breaker, just telling you like it is)You will not get much in the way of benefits or pay at first unless you rack up a deployment.The college money wont come into play until you have been in for a while but i think you could still get R.E.A.P but im not sure.Its going to be pretty bare bones the first few years in a nutshell.If you are young i see no reason to sell you on the National Guard.If i was you i would go active Army , Navy , maybe even Air Force or Marines.They all have MP.They all are good and you would get a much better military career than Nasty Girls heh but at least in the NG you don't have to deal with the BS 24/7 and that's one thing that will always be a plus despite the negatives.Lastly if there is one thing you have to know before going into the military its ALWAYS LOOK OUT for yourself because no one will for you.That is the cold truth.