PDA

View Full Version : Save Apache

MadeInRu
07-01-2011, 01:10 PM
No way will this site go down like that.

What's the server bill? 600$ per month?

I'm sure we can gather few guys who would donate some money monthly so we can keep it running.

I'm in for it.

Chop chop peeps, time to put your wallets were you mouth is ;)

Who's willing to join?

wanny1971
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
i'm in ..i'll gladly donate £10
but.. starks going to have to PM/send me a safe address that i can post the money to..
(i'm on a PS3 and sites like paypal don't work)

Kyo
07-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I hope this site doesn't shutdown, but if it's going to happen can someone make a torrent of most of the clips, or is that something the administration doesn't want?

just hate to see a good site with bad ass shit on it, disappear .

Kyo from Efukt.

angusnra
07-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Before I give another penny, I think concrete ideas for improvements and attraction to the site must materialize.
Putting bandaids over old bandaids only lasts a little while.

Stark carries the load every month. There are donations, and a lot of us have helped out, but he still bears the brunt of it, whereas he should be making money, not spending it.
At the very least, Stark should break even.

I suppose that in Europe, a site must meet a certain "criteria" before a provider will pick up that site.
I also suppose that the "criteria" must meet a particular Political Correctness as to not offend anyone's delicate feelings.
If this is the case, then a site like AC is unsurvivable in that part of the world.

Trying to find providers for a hard-core military site with posts about 3 wars in islamic countries and not expect the community to comment about it as not to 'offend'
is plain stupid. Of course it won't last. Of course certain vendors and advertisers won't participate.

In the U.S. however, we don't have to put up with that bullshit.
If a provider doesn't like the content or comments, fuck 'em.
We'll get the next guy.
I'd make a full disclosure on the home page, that "AC is not responsible for the comments made by the community" in big BOLD fucking letters.

Make it known that if you are a hard-core, military-oriented, gungy business who wishes to advertise, then we are your peeps. If not, then get the fuck out of here.

Trying to appease the delicate feelings of pussy-assed providers to create a pussified site is horse shit.

This must be approached from a new flank. Either that or re-name the site and change the content.

Also, a serious in-house clean up must happen. Mods who bully members, make fun of them in chat boxes, cuss at them, threaten them, bait them and act like kids must be removed. They are detrimental to success.

I run a business. If I had an employee who carried on like Tokenvi, telling a 'customer' to kill himself with a shotgun, I'd shit-can his dumb ass. He would be a liability, not an asset. 'POOF!' Gone and forgotten.
There would be clear and plain rules for all to see.
Violators would be told what the offense was, then punished accordingly.
They would not be punished for an unwritten rule violation. The rules would be amended first.

See? The member who would be unfairly punished has friends who all normally donate $ regularly.
The friends talk and the site gets a reduction in donations from those members for that month.

The blame may go whichever way one sees fit, but the bottom line for the month determines the future of the site.

So, a re-vamping from the inside-out would have to happen.
A lot of changes would have to happen, instead of trying to mend the same old, same old.

IT AIN'T WORKING. Change it. Simple.
Either that, or accept failure.

Angus out.

P.S. If any moderator's feelings were hurt, then you need a new hobby.
When it's time to fix shit the right way, certain people must go, certain methods must be changed and most of all, we can't live our lives worried about who may or may not be offended by what each of us says or does. Get over it and move on. Instead of whining, fix it.
Or keep whining and remove my account.
As a business man, I can help. As a Marine, I can prepare and organize.
You can try to appease a provider and change the make up of the site, or you can say 'fuck that provider' and fix everything.

mattzim
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree with everything you said, Semper Fi and I have a motivated devil whom I served with who has a company and if I let him know that we may need help with some things he may help. He runs his own military clothing company and makes a lot of unit tees for the infantry unity coming home. Gotta keep this site up!

joelee
07-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm with Angus. As another business owner I can see that the entire business model has to be changed. Stark you should be making money. If you got steady advertisers, switched to an American server, you would be covered by our First Amendment. Have everyone sign a terms of acceptance when they join, saying that its not the web sites opinion, but the member commenting.
There are other things to do but this is a begining.

eaglethebeagle
07-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Like i said on the other thread I will help with money or any possible thing I can offer. I have some marketing background so I know if a transfer of ownership is an option then having a list of all members e-mail addresses would be useful in the event the site must close temporarily until new ownership can restart it and then send out e-mails to notify of the new name of the site or just to notify that the site is back up and online.

Whatever needs to get worked out to keep AC or possibly AC 2.0 going should be done.

Freese
07-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Well, this is a damn shame, great web site, 15,000+ viewers, probably 50 contributers. I gave $300.00 American last year, this year, not so much. The Apache Clips of one year ago is no more. Apache clips is still a great site, but the dynamic has changed for the worse. I am number 7. I was the seventh member to reach 1000 positive Karma points. The Moderators back then were helpful, diciplinary, wise, friendly, responsive to questions and comments and professional. Hell, Moderators would even post responses supporting, disagreeing, laughing at, or dismissing as moronic members posts. That was good. Now secret PMs fly in back room discussions. I dont care who said what to whom, Junior High School has been over for me 20+ years ago. Lets get back to uncompromising Military content, with witty banter, and some professional wisdom from Members and Moderators. Stark, I wish you and your family the best. I got $100.00 American with your name on it, if you want it. If this site goes down, I will miss all of you, even the jerks. Just my opinion.

Jdubya
07-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Freese, I totally agree with what you are saying. I will do whatever I can to help this page stay alive. As for all the members I just want to say thanks to you guys for being a part of this community even if some of you were douchebags (in my opinion). Also, although AC has changed over the past year, I am confident that we can make this page work. I will send or wire money to Stark if we can figure out a way to do so. If all of us contributors pull together and each contribute a certain amount of money per month this will work.

gremlin
07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey Stark !

I've got my own little website here

http://gremlinsgoreandstuff.webs.com/index.htm

Doesn't cost a fuckin penny, although I've got no control on the advertising
Maybe this can be of help
Hopefully

Gremlin

Stark
07-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi mate,

Great little page you got there with some nasty pictures.

Fact however is we need a wee bit more power from a server perspective ;) but thank you neverless.