PDA

View Full Version : Lets Buy a Server for Stark

eaglethebeagle
06-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok as I was trying to do on a previous thread which is closed now.

Why dont we just buy a server or servers for AC (Stark)

I have seen the price varies from several hundred dollars to nearly 5000. I would like to know what would that take?

Instead of renting space on a host server just like renting a home lets buy and fucking dump the shit landlords.

Is this not a real option if not why?

With everyone chipping in we should all just donate a little and it adds up fast.

Please I think this would ease the stress and many issues that cause trouble here on AC.

Please post pros and cons so we all can discuss the idea.

jamieooh
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Eagle I would happily chip in on a server if stark wants to go that route.
I believe owning your server comes with a couple problems.
1. need someone that can maintain it
2. still might have to rent rack space
3. band with charges
Stark would probably be the only one to know what AC's average band with usage is, how big a server AC needs plus maybe a wild ass guess for future needs.
Jamie

Toki
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Owning a server costs way more than renting one. It's a no win situation either way.

TheArcticFox
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
What about ....stealing.... one?

Benda
06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Buying the box is one thing. Hosting it and maintaining it are something else again.

If you buy a server and run it on someone else's network, they take care of bandwidth, power supply etc, but you need to look after the web server and still pay the for the hosting. Can be lot of stress depending on who's doing the system administration and to what extent...especially when pages stop loading etc.

Having your box on your own network does = more control and lower costs after the initial layout, but then you get all the headaches that come with running it.

Can become very time consuming. For the most part, it's a lot easier to rent, just twice as expensive.

Scott
06-12-2011, 07:28 AM
As the guy's above have said, it is a no win situation unfortunatly, either way there is requiored alot of money to be involved in running the box.

sure you can buy a Box but placing it in a Datacenter is another matter, they charge you for their staff to maintain it (make sure it's all working etc) which can cost a few hundred dollars per month or every 2 months, then the cost of the rack fees, it's still expensive.

Doing it form some1's Network is possible but would require alot of money power, Electricity Bill would be alot BIGGER and not to mention you would have to check the policy with your ISP on Bandwidth, im on 50MB and 6MB Upload, Unlimited downloads they say, but one i download over 20GB some nights i get capped, so home networks (Business Package you oculd get) which is mroe beneficial but come's with disadvantages.

Im glad you brought this up tho eagle, it's very ambitious, if only one of us became a millionaire overnight this would all be Solved.