PDA

View Full Version : Helmet cam shooting of Jose Guerena the marine killed by police

cromagnumman
05-28-2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391567/Iraq-war-vet-Jose-Guerena-did-open-SWAT-team-killed-him.html#ixzz1Na5LiAyy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0f00_JMak

nastyleg
05-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Ex-Marine killed by officers linked to drug probe
by Associated Press (May 27th, 2011 @ 9:26pm)
Policy >>
Talk About It

TUCSON - An ex-Marine shot and killed by authorities at his home south of Tucson was a suspect in a complex drug investigation, according to documents released by the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

Special Weapons and Tactics officers went to Jose Guerena's house May 5 to serve a search warrant, but it ended in his fatal shooting.

More than 500 pages of officers' statements, evidence lists and witness interviews in the case were released Thursday.

The Arizona Daily Star reports Guerena and two other men were named as suspects in briefings given to officers before the warrants were served. Many of the reports refer to the sheriff's long-term drug investigation as the reason for the search.

Items taken included a handgun, tax returns, bank statements, a bank card and insurance papers. There's no indication that drugs were found in the house, and a lawyer for the Guerena family said nothing seized from the victim's home was illegal.

A short video showing Pima County Regional SWAT team members serving the warrant was also released Thursday. The written documents detail what sheriff's personnel did during the incident.

The Sheriff's Department said previously that Guerena pointed an AR-15 rifle at officers as they entered the home and the SWAT team fired 71 shots in seven seconds at the 26-year-old man. It was later determined that Guerena did not fire at officers.

The released video recording shows that deputies driving toward Guerena's home turned on their sirens for a few seconds as they approached. It also shows them announcing themselves, then knocking down the front door and firing their guns.

Audiotapes reveal that no SWAT officers entered Guerena's house. Law enforcement officers went into his home only after a robot was sent in and it was determined about an hour after the shooting that Guerena was dead.

Another report said detectives found body armor in a hallway closet in Guerena's house and a U.S. Border Patrol hat in the garage.

Some search warrant documents remain sealed. The Sheriff's Department would not comment on the reports and tapes Friday.

Michael Storie, an attorney representing the five SWAT officers who shot at Guerena, said last week that all those officers were separated immediately after the shooting so they could be interviewed and provide objective statements of what happened.

Guerena's wife, Vanessa, and the couple's 4-year-old son were home at the time of the shooting but escaped injury.

http://www.ktar.com/category/local-news-articles/20110527/Ex~Marine-killed-by-officers-linked-to-drug-probe/

Kurticus
05-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Holy shit they lit his ass up! Being a former Marine he should have known not to point a gun at a SWAT Team. Crazy video

Wings
05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
He probably didn't know what was going on, which is likely why he readied his rifle.
Judging from the fact that there wasn't anything illegal reported in his house, he seems innocent to me.

R.I.P. Marine.

Kurticus
05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Holy shit they lit his ass up! Being a former Marine he should have known not to point a gun at a SWAT Team. Crazy video

They didnt find anything? I didnt know that, shit. Thats horrible, RIP

gutro
05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Something got fucked up big time.... to have the warrent and find NOTHING..... somebody screwed up huge.

He clearly unaware it was swat..... he was sleeping when his wife screamed for him..... he's running on shear adrenaline and is probably a little confused.

"...his body struck by 22 of the bullets."
He was shot 22 times?????? Seriously???? That aint right....why did they shoot him 22 times?

Lastly.... there's no way it takes over an hour to clear a house of any threats..... that's fucking bullshit.

I normally defend cops to the end.... but I think they fucked this one up.

Dustoff704
05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Something got fucked up big time.... to have the warrent and find NOTHING..... somebody screwed up huge.

He clearly unaware it was swat..... he was sleeping when his wife screamed for him..... he's running on shear adrenaline and is probably a little confused.

"...his body struck by 22 of the bullets."
He was shot 22 times?????? Seriously???? That aint right....why did they shoot him 22 times?

Lastly.... there's no way it takes over an hour to clear a house of any threats..... that's fucking bullshit.

I normally defend cops to the end.... but I think they fucked this one up.

Just because no contraband was found doesn't mean something investigatory wasn't found.
Ive been involved with SW's that yielded nothing also. It sucks and but you get over it.

Clearly the SWAT operators were identifying themselves. IE the siren, the yelling of "POLICE SEARCH WARRANT"
They made entry, engaged a threat until they thought it was neutralized. Waiting an hour for a robot. That one is gonna be on the SWAT Commander im sure. Could they have done things different? Sure. It all depends on the intel they get before they start the mission. Am I sorry someone, let alone a Veteran died, yes. But the video shows they announced they were the police.

serpa6
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Struck 22 times Im sorry Has anyone seen a Swat team engage targets real or plain old drill targets somthing is wrong here and then to send in a robot to check for what booby traps come on Somthing is wrong with this I don't care what anyone says I have 2 friends on Sert team same as Swat they would not engage a target real or paper like this Team did!!!!! I have been to there drill's
Maybe 2 out of a 6 man entry team would engage, Like i said something is wrong
RIP Marine

rogerdlf
07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Maybe he didn't aim his gun at them..... NAAA he probably did. Agreed. BAD IDEA!

Vopo
07-19-2011, 03:18 AM
Bloody hell, they hardly need 4 of em to shoot him. Its not right that his family were there to. That shit never happens in Australia

tastynail
07-29-2011, 02:28 AM
71 shots in seven seconds at the 26-year-old man. It was later determined that Guerena did not fire at officers.

Red flag right there. 71 shots in seven seconds, hit him 22 times? Who shoots somebody 22 times? You don't even shoot a guy in the field 22 fucking times.

kubala1014
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Red flag right there. 71 shots in seven seconds, hit him 22 times? Who shoots somebody 22 times? You don't even shoot a guy in the field 22 fucking times.

But he was still moving!!! And I dont get to fire this cool gun at people too often... And I was scared shitless.... And i hope all my buddies are as good at lying as I am...

jp1969
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
The search warrant states he had no known source of income but when it was served he had just come off a 12 hour shift at the mine he had worked at for 2 years. I'm a big supporter of law enforcement but this whole thing sounded fishy when I read about it and now after seeing the video it looks more like a hit. The team looks amped to fire, all bunched up in the doorway and if you watch when the firing starts a team member at the rear(shotgun on back) moves forward, sticks his handgun over the shoulders of those at the door and fires into the house. That alone made it seem like this was a hit more than a serving of a warrant etc.

Malice
07-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Struck 22 times Im sorry Has anyone seen a Swat team engage targets real or plain old drill targets somthing is wrong here and then to send in a robot to check for what booby traps come on Somthing is wrong with this I don't care what anyone says I have 2 friends on Sert team same as Swat they would not engage a target real or paper like this Team did!!!!! I have been to there drill's
Maybe 2 out of a 6 man entry team would engage, Like i said something is wrong
RIP Marine

I'm sorry bud, but I cant agree with your last statement.... Someone pointing a firearm at you is a whole lot different than a paper target or a simulation with real people. No matter how many simulations I have gone through nothing compares to the real thing. No matter how real the simulation is, your mind is still thinking... "simulation, simulation, simulation".

Also keep in mind, the officers not fully in the door don't know if that is friendly or enemy fire, all they know is they hear gunfire and have friendlies in trouble and they will use what they have to help them... I would hope every one of you would do the very same thing.

The fact that they needed to send in a robot is a testament to what might have been waiting for them. You can't defend a Marine just because he's a Marine. Believe it or not, they fuck up too.

22 hits certainly sounds excessive, but until we see a helmet cam from inside the room, there is no telling what was going on.

After reading the excerpt again, it really does sound excessive... the fact that they didn't pull an AR from the home and only a handgun and some paperwork sure seems odd. He was as crooked as the day is long... If the police have a 500 page report on his activities there is something there. Man, really mixed on this one now.

kubala1014
07-29-2011, 02:34 PM
After reading the excerpt again, it really does sound excessive... the fact that they didn't pull an AR from the home and only a handgun and some paperwork sure seems odd. He was as crooked as the day is long... If the police have a 500 page report on his activities there is something there. Man, really mixed on this one now.

Good point. I didn't realize they didn't pull the AR from the house. A lot of people are looking the other way on this one since he must have been crooked. Now I'm still looking for the law where crooked = death penalty. I'm all for supporting law enforcement, but just like Marines, they don't get a blank check in an invasion. If law enforcement can't provide a coherent explanation of what happened, then it seems like they are hiding something or protecting someone. In that case... I have no respect for someone who can't tell the truth.

SgtJim
11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
some news again from today:

SWAT team's shooting of Marine causes outrage
By AMANDA LEE MYERS
Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Jose Guerena Ortiz was sleeping after an exhausting 12-hour night shift at a copper mine. His wife, Vanessa, had begun breakfast. Their 4-year-old son, Joel, asked to watch cartoons.
An ordinary morning was unfolding in the middle-class Tucson neighborhood - until an armored vehicle pulled into the family's driveway and men wearing heavy body armor and helmets climbed out, weapons ready.
They were a sheriff's department SWAT team who had come to execute a search warrant. But Vanessa Guerena insisted she had no idea, when she heard a "boom" and saw a dark-suited man pass by a window, that it was police outside her home. She shook her husband awake and told him someone was firing a gun outside.
A U.S. Marine veteran of the Iraq war, he was only trying to defend his family, she said, when he grabbed his own gun - an AR-15 assault rifle.
What happened next was captured on video after a member of the SWAT team activated a helmet-mounted camera.
The officers - four of whom carried .40-caliber handguns while another had an AR-15 - moved to the door, briefly sounding a siren, then shouting "Police!" in English and Spanish. With a thrust of a battering ram, they broke the door open. Eight seconds passed before they opened fire into the house.

Read more: http://bit.ly/sGvb20