PDA

View Full Version : Twins honor military veterans with flag raising at every home game.

BrendenF11
04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
At the start of each Minnesota Twins home game, the American flag is raised by a veteran of the United States military, to the tune of the national anthem. I think it's one of the coolest things I've seen from a sports team in a while, plus I'm a die hard Twins fan. Here's a nice little site that has descriptions of some of the honorary flag raisers.

w w w .foxsportsnorth. dot com /pages/flag_raisers

Just out of curiosity are there any other teams or events that honor veterans in this manner?

Tomahawk990
04-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes, for the past 8 years I have worked a security detail for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLS&R). Each year they have armed forces day for one day of the rodeo. Ft.Hood sends bus loads of soldiers. A military choir sings patriotic songs for the crowds waiting for the gates to open. Static displays of military vehicles line the drive just north of the stadium, open for people to climb in. Warbirds fly overhead.

Immediately following the rodeo events, there is a concert put on by popular Country Western artists. In the brief time between the last event and the concert, a stage is brought out and erected in the center of the dirt arena. On Armed Forces Day, Air Force Para Rescue teams rappelled from the roof of Reliant Stadium holding a gigantic American Flag. Wounded soldiers were brought out and thanked by roaring crowds. MOH recpients were cheered.

The rodeo lasts 20 days, each night a different performance. Of all the acts who showed up, two stood out as the best. Kid Rock dedicated his performance to the troops and literally begged the crowd to support them (they do). The other was the rock group KISS, who stopped the show, cut the music, and made everyone in the audience stand with them and recite the pledge to our nations flag. Then they continued playing into the night.

Also there are a few hundred cops out there working it in their spare time. The entire rodeo, soldiers (marines, sailors, airmen, etc.) were allowed into private parties, exclusive areas, clubs, and many got free drink tickets.

If any soldier wants to know if Houston is grateful for them and their service, come to the rodeo.