PDA

View Full Version : Religion Rant

conorcolt
04-15-2011, 01:11 AM
i have been struggling with my religious views the past couple of months. i have never attended church regularly and i havent read the bible. but i cant seem to wrap my mind around the notion that some greater being created earth, everything on it, including us (in his image).

my opinion is that religion is just a business that is used to control how society behaves and to make money.

man has done horrible things in the name of their religion.

this has deeply affected my attitude and outlook on life.

i hope to live in a country whose government does not have religous ties..... I.E. politicians using their religion to argue over an issue. government should be focused solely on the well being of its citizens.

im fine with people and thier religions but i cant seem to grab on to it.... if someone would be willing to have a conversation on this topic it would be appreciated.

Sixx
04-15-2011, 02:54 AM
"my opinion is that religion is just a business that is used to control how society behaves and to make money"

I used to have that mindset as well Bro....and you are right. However I would say Churches are used to control people and suck money, not religion itself.
The thing is you do not have to go to church in order to be close to God. My opinion modern day churches are a crock of shit filled with nothing but hypocrites, scammers, and sinners.

You have to believe and open up your heart to what ever deity you choose. If you lean towards the Christian side, I would suggest reading the New Testament first to understand who Jesus is and what he did....and then open your heart up to him.

By all means you do not have to read anything, but it helps to understand what he was about.

Growing up I studied every religion I came across for knowledge, however I was a punk ass anti-everything kid at one point in my life and was against all forms of Christianity.....I dabbled into Satanism just to "be evil" and piss people off.
But all that shit was ignorant and a waste of time.....

Pretty much I lived my whole life believing when you die....it's lights out for good. Like turning off a TV.

While in the military I never thought about faith nor did I once pray or went to church services. To tell you the truth, I did not give a shit about dying or living.
Now that I am out of the military and have a child things are different for me.
I have had a couple of experiences that changed my beliefs and I definitely believe now.

I honestly never thought it would happen to me.

But I'm not a bible thumper nor would I push any religion on a person. That person needs to find it for themselves.....you cannot force someone to believe in a God.

eaglethebeagle
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
To be honest I have always believed in God from childhood but only because I was raised as a Catholic. I began to dislike going to church as a kid. I started resenting church and the priest. I saw this church we went to getting huge money and I resented that.

Then once I was an adult I didnt go to church although for my son I would pray before meals and talk to him about God because I believed it was good to establish him as a Christian rather than he ever be influenced to be anything else.

I doubted God and my belief in God was shaky at best for many years. I really questioned and struggled with my faith when my daughter was born with problems.

To try and make it short here I believe in God and have been going to Church regularly recently. What happens on earth is not proof or evidence that there is or isnt a God. Men on earth and all evil and good doesnt prove there is a God. The kids being born with cancer or being put through abuse isnt God showing he is careless or that he doesnt care. Our time on earth is only a drop in the bucket of eternity which we have once we are gone from here.

Is it difficult to understand and believe in yes but that is why it is called faith.

We know there was a Jesus Christ on earth and the history of his life is one of the most analysed of any man in all of history. So the Bible tells you about him and the stories about him prove he is God.

If you know he was here and performed miracles and he is the son of God then you know that the Bible tells you he will return and when he does there will be no question he is here.

There is a lot more I can say and will if any care to hear it but dont let mankind or what happens on earth confuse what God is about and what is going to happen when he returns.

I am by no means a good example of a Christian I am a huge failure in business and sin almost daily if not daily. I cuss too much I have many faults.

Good discussion to have.

angusnra
04-15-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm too dumb to come up with a scientific reason on how everything was made, so I stick with the God theory.
I'm a believer, raised Catholic, no longer attend church.
My faith is fucking solid, but as far as religion goes...well, I think they're all a racket.

Two of my 3 kids go to Catholic school, mostly out of spite of the bullshit public school system.
I think kids are getting dumber in public schools, so I'll pay the tuition to keep them out of the government quagmire.
My youngest will go when she hits 5th grade.
I go to church sometimes, but most of my shooting matches are on Sundays.

Bang bang has priority. God understands...I think.

Mel
04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I WOULD like to say I'm a believer.But with all the screwed up shit we do to each other,and there is a supreme being that lets it go on.Then he doesn't have much compassion for his children.Maybe I'm wrong....Hopefully I am.I have nothing against people using religion to get them through hard times,But when they start pushing it.That's when I have a problem.I don't want to hear about your god,and your not going to get any of my hard earned money.If you want to worship,Fine...Just don't be obnoxious about it.When I die and there IS a heaven and hell,Well....I guess the jokes on me.

nastyleg
04-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Coming from me and hearing my self talk about God, faith, and religion sounds hypocritical. I grew up in a very Christian family unfortunately we went to the potter house (a cult really) that thankfully we were able to get out of. That church has convinced me that all forms of organized religion are in it for themselves. God gave us all FREE WILL. A concept that many people fail to bring up when discussing religion. Free will lets us do what we want when we want to. The price of our choices will be paid later. Horrible shit has been done in the name of religion but if you look at the bare facts of it all of those things done were for man's greed. You name the religious war or atrocity and I guarantee you will find that it is a man that is directly responsible and going to benefit monetarily. As far as my personal belief goes any where you praise your God is a place of worship and it need not be in a church, synagogue, mosque or temple. As far as bad stuff happening to good people well I am at a loss. Science by itself can explain shit but that is only half of it. Some of the best scientists used their religion to help further their studies.

conorcolt
04-20-2011, 01:16 AM
thanks for all the replies guys

i want to believe in evolution and the big bang but how can a big bang happen if there was nothing before it? haha

i am leaning towards humanism. i also like the idea of thanking the sun and earth for everything.... if you think about it the earth gives us everything we need to survive and the sun gives the earth what it needs to survive..... dont get me wrong im not rain dancing or anything but those are 2 solid examples of things that give us life.....and we know they exist.

we will truly never know ( unless you know who floats down ) thats why i think we should all stop killing and fighting over religion. also i cannot stress it enough, i think religion should be out of politics. politicians can be open with their religion i just think desicions should be made on the greater good of the people, not how their religion feels.

but hey im just a 18 year old kid