PDA

View Full Version : I may join the army or the marines.

HolX
03-17-2009, 10:45 PM
After going to the University i'm thinking of joining the army or marines. I'm looking at it from the perspective that I can always start a business or enter the civilian world, but I can't always necessarily experience the military life. Is it a smart move for a young man to join the military? Of course I have the illusions of grandeur of eventually joining a special forces unit and doing all the "cool" stuff but who knows.

Stark
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
After going to the University i'm thinking of joining the army or marines. I'm looking at it from the perspective that I can always start a business or enter the civilian world, but I can't always necessarily experience the military life. Is it a smart move for a young man to join the military? Of course I have the illusions of grandeur of eventually joining a special forces unit and doing all the "cool" stuff but who knows.

It is a decission that you have to VERY VERY careful think about it, the majority of people I have seen in the military regreted their action to join, all of them had some "ballast" in the civi life, girlfriend etc etc.
If you're once in it's hard to get out the ol' I'm gay card doesn't play anymore (at least not in the German Army)
I enjoyed my time in the army I ahve a lot of bad memories as well, there wer times when I couldn't wait to get out and experience the freedom to just go out, but there were equaly the ammount of times when I enjoyed military life as well.

Don't get fooled by the Special Forces service I was in a tiny tiny tiny little bit special forces German troop (nothing dramatic at all) and it's not all what it looks like, chances are that you are will not get into the "big boys" or you probably would have joined up already, most of these guys have a set plan before they join up at least the Soldiers I meat from the early KRK were like that, it is nearly impossible to get in there and not all depends on your fitness but stuff you cannot train yourself or is hard to train yourself for.

I would suggest you DONT talk to a recruiter because I have heard they tell you anyways what you want to hear but instead talk to people that served a long time in the US army like fotoman who is one of my mods and who served in Vietnam and also talk to other soldiers we have quite a few here theese guys having spend time in the system know the in and outs the dos and dont's and that is so fucking important, i would PM them even better talk to ex soldiers in real life and get yourself well informed - military life is like anotehr world, i remember that when I first set foot in my military point I feelt completly out of place and it took me a good few month to fully ajust, a lot of things that are normal in civi life are a no no in military life, don't get fooled none media is showing the real military life.

furthermore just joining up is stupid beyound believe you need to have a plan, you need to learn every single thing about either the marines or the army - and I don't mean how to do a 100 pushups trust me you will learn to do them in no time, but more about the system - a real plan, if i do this i have these options If i do that I can can get these benefits - THAN go to a recruiter and even than I suspect it will be hard for you to know if he talks bullshit or not.
Remember only the smart guys get somewhere in my opinon there is no place else were smart thinking people have the ability to get places than the army, the last thing you want is another grunt (not that there is anything wrong with being a Grunt at all) but if you really want to get in the special forces than you need to know what to do from the very start.

All only my opinion and I was not in the US army, but maybe some of the other guys now more - Tavarez wants to join up as well why don't you two ladies hold hand and sign up :D

Cruelbreed
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Aww I thought you were going to be the one to hold my hand when I joined Stark haha :P

most of these guys have a set plan before they join up at least the Soldiers I meat from the early KRK were like that, it is nearly impossible to get in there and not all depends on your fitness but stuff you cannot train yourself or is hard to train yourself for.

What are these things you cannot train yourself for, or is hard to train for?

Cruelbreed
03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
hey there's some good traits of reaching high, been working out every single day for the past 4 weeks. Now that's something that took me time to get the motivation to do. Up to running 2 miles a night now, sometimes more.