PDA

View Full Version : Fallen hero and his dog return

Scott
03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
This articles gave me a few tears and im very upset, please take your time and read this!

Fallen hero and his dog return

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/ImpulsivePlay3r/taskermain_1269019a.jpg
Honoured ... Lance Corporal Liam Tasker and Theo pass through Wootton Bassett

THE body of a fallen soldier and his faithful dog who died shortly afterwards have arrived home together from Afghanistan.

Lieutenant Corporal Liam Tasker, 26, from Kirkcaldy, Fife and his dog Theo, a springer cross, passed through the town of Wootton Bassett this afternoon.

Theo had found a record 14 Improvised Explosive Devices in the first five months of his Afghanistan tour.

The duo were kept out in the war-torn region for an extra month as part of the 1st Military Working Dog Regiment, based in Camp Bastion.

L/Cpl Tasker was shot dead by suspected Taliban insurgents on March 1 and Theo suffered a fit shortly afterwards with L/Cpl Tasker's family believing he died from a broken heart.

The 26-year-old fallen hero leaves behind mother Jane Duffy, father Ian, brother Ian, sisters Laura and Nicola and girlfriend Leah Walters.

As has become tradition, local people and Royal British Legion members joined his family and friends in tribute.

A dozen dogs also joined the mourners, sitting respectfully with their masters as the hearse went by.

Movingly, as a single bell tolled to mark the arrival of the cortege into the Wiltshire town, several dogs could be heard barking.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/ImpulsivePlay3r/tasker682_1269001a.jpg
Dedicated ... Lt/Cpl Tasker and Theo in training

Lt/Cpl Tasker spoke about his relationship with Theo in a MOD interview just weeks before his death.

He said: "I love my job and working together with Theo. He has a great character and never tires.

"He can't wait to get out and do his job and will stop at nothing."

L/Cpl Tasker is the 358th British serviceman to die in the ten-year conflict.

In a statement, his family said: "There are three words that best describe Liam: larger than life. He lit up every room he walked into with his cheeky smile.

"He died a hero doing a job he was immensely passionate about. We are so proud of him and everything he's achieved. Words can't describe how sorely he will be missed."

Girlfriend Leah Walters added: "LT never met anyone without touching their lives in some way. I am the proudest girlfriend there could ever be and there will be an LT-sized hole in my life forever. Sleep well, my darling, my soulmate, my best friend."

Lieutenant Colonel David Thorpe, commanding officer 1st Military Working Dog Regiment, also paid tribute to L/Cpl Tasker, saying: 'He genuinely loved the dogs he worked with and was always able to get the best out of them.

"Epitomising the hard-working, determined and ambitious nature of our very best soldiers, he wanted to go to Afghanistan. He wanted to ply his trade in the harshest of environments, to be outside of his comfort zone and he wanted to be successful. He was.

"The work he did in his five months in Afghanistan saved countless lives, of that I have no doubt."

SgtJim
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
R.I.P. hero
Gob Bless your loves and the family
-----

Lance Corporal Tasker deployed to Afghanistan on 8 September 2010 as part of 1st Military Working Dog Regiment. Having trained as an Arms and Explosives Search dog handler, he was attached to 1st Battalion Irish Guards on 19 February 2011. On 1 March 2011, LCpl Tasker was taking part in a patrol with his dog, Theo, when they were engaged by small arms fire, during which LCpl Tasker was struck and died from the injuries he sustained. Sadly on return to Camp Bastion, Theo suffered a seizure and died.
-----

I remember the news/report on the UK Forces webpage about Him and Theo, and the 14 confirmed finds.....
really sad this news now.......

-----

Al Capwn
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Goodbye, farewell, amen. RIP brother

truffs1010
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Short video of them in action. RIP to this courageous team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8374577/Dog-lovers-gather-for-repatriation-of-soldier-and-spaniel-from-Afghanistan.html