PDA

View Full Version : Question about MEPS

Slow_twitch
02-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey Fellas.
I am currently a sophomore in college, have a 3.0 GPA , have wanted to give back to my country for the longest time, and am wanting to do Army ROTC and sign a contract stating that I will go Army no matter what, but have a few concerns. My primary concern is MEPS because I have been to a few psychologists on my own accord for a very brief amount of time (less then 3 months for each, for not very serious reasons) and am currently seeing one now here at school but will be terminating it soon because I simply see no need to continue seeing her. I have also never been clinically diagnosed with or treated with meds for depression,suicide, or any other mental illness. What I want to know is when i go through MEPS, should I just say no or I say yes try and get a psych eval/ waiver? If I say no, what are the chances the military would find out since they will be doing a background check and if so, what would they do with me if they found out? FYI: I have not gone to a recruiter yet because I am simply just doing my homework so when i do make the commitment to do so, everything goes smoothly. Any thoughts suggestions and or experiences that you can share would be much appreciated

Sixx
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I recommend keeping it hush hush.....
However, I would like to inform you IF it is documented and the Military can get a hold of it it could bite you in the ass with fradululant enlistment if something should arise and they investigate further.

I'm not sure about your situation, but I'd say since you have never been diagnosed nor treated for any clinical illness you should be ok to let them know about it.

Slow_twitch
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
I recommend keeping it hush hush.....
However, I would like to inform you IF it is documented and the Military can get a hold of it it could bite you in the ass with fradululant enlistment if something should arise and they investigate further.

I'm not sure about your situation, but I'd say since you have never been diagnosed nor treated for any clinical illness you should be ok to let them know about it.

So assuming i tell a recruiter the situation, does he then request a waiver ?

Sixx
02-23-2011, 09:42 PM
So assuming i tell a recruiter the situation, does he then request a waiver ?

I'm assuming it will be taken care of after the screening, if needed at all. You might not need a waiver.
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/pdf/DD2807-2.pdf

I wouldn't be too worried since you never been actually diagnosed or been hospitalized due to the issue.

I'd just be straight up with them.....they will work with you.

Irish
02-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Be straight with your recruiter and if he tells you to be hush hush with the people down at MEPS then keep it hush hush. Just so you know though most pysch issues are no go's when it comes to enlistment or commissioning in your case. For what it's worth I needed to get three waivers. One for penicillin, one for a concussion, and one for a DWAI (driving while ability impaired). I got in with all of that and it was a bitch but a guy that came down with me from my RS claimed depression or something and MEPS found him unfit for enlistment. This was a few years ago too when MEPS wasn't as strict so keep that in mind.

nastyleg
02-27-2011, 04:40 PM
If you have not been diagnosed with a mental illness then it is not an issue. BTW the agecy that does the background does all of the back grounds for all sorts of agency not just DOD but DOJ, SS, and so on. they look for debt and any criminal activity. The debt is to make sure that you will not be turned by a foreign government or other agency that could buy your loyalties. The criminal background is not only of you but those that you provide as references (they dont check them out but see if they can vouch for you). If the names you provide pop up on a watch list then you are SOL.

Slow_twitch
03-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to look at this thread and sharing your insight, it is most helpful and appreciated!