PDA

View Full Version : Today’s heroes are overlooked by all of us, yes even you

SgtJim
02-10-2011, 08:40 PM
by Maj Pain from onemarinesview.com
http://www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/2011/02/todays-heroes-are-overlooked-by-all-of-us-yes-even-you.html

thanks for this great write! Semper Fi!

-------------------------

Today’s heroes are overlooked by all of us, yes even you
can walk right past one of this country’s heroes on the street and not even know it.

You might spot him if you happen to see the “high & tight” hair cut or perhaps his unit’s logo on the back of his t-shirt.
But many do see these characteristics and simply at the most think “he’s in the military”.
However what you do not know is the same warrior may be the recipient of a Bronze Star or Purple Heart while
carrying out a courageous act. Many servicemembers who have either of the previously mentioned award won’t have
to thump their chest and brag about it. Those that know the lad already know his character.
Modest but confident enough to walk through fire if needed. Battle tested and oh yea he is only 20yrs old at best.

How to they become this way?

Being brave is something that comes from within. Is he scared? Yip but he continues anyway. Does he want to die?
Nope, but he is willing to lay his life down for others. This is developed from within however with the combination
of his military training and probably a big part of it comes from his morals, he goes where others do not desire to go.
I have seen the most laid back silent Marine excel when the time comes. Running straight into gun fire and expose
himself to save another wounded Marine. You see it happen and ask yourself, “what got into him all of a sudden”
something just clicks at the time and when you find yourself in a fight or flight situation
a split second decision will spell the results.

How do you know they are heroes?

First of all, your young American servicemembers are all brave heroes. Anytime you meet one you should simply say,
thanks for your service. However, every once in awhile you will meet one who may or may not have been wounded
and carry the lifelong scares with them. After you get to know these studs, then you will learn the extraordinary feats they
have accomplished. They won’t brag about their accomplishments, they don’t have to but you will be able to tell there is
something different with this guy. I see it time again when I run into active duty Marines who upon losing a leg from
a previous IED attack and passed the Marine Corps PFT is serving again in Afghanistan. Or perhaps the cobra pilot
who was shot down, trapped in his burning helo as his foot was mashed and caught in the wreckage and enemy
small arms began to ping the aircraft. Watching his fingers melt from the heat he fended off what he could whith his
small arms fire as the Marine QRF unit arrived. Only then attempting to rip his own leg off to free himself.
These are the type of guys that go on living a quite life after their honorable service and most of the time,
don’t get another word of thanks.

Your American heroes are all around us, you just have to open your eyes and see them and then simply say thanks.
They will wear the scares I recommend we give them praise.
“Have some coffee and tell me your thoughts in the comments”

JOG12
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Amazing post. I thank servicemen when ever I see them, but I will never know there story but it feels good to honor them because they gave so much.

DevilDog812
02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
great post! i have met a Medal of Honor recipient from the Vietnam war, all i know is that he didnt want to talk about what he did to get it. im not sure if its being humble, or just mentally scarred, but it is probably a little of both

also, great name, Major Pain

vanness
02-12-2011, 04:20 AM
I thank servicemen when ever I see them, but I will never know there story but it feels good to honor them because they gave so much.