View Full Version : Taking Down Taliban Spotters in Kandahar

SgtJim
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
a Jim Foley/GlobalPost video journal
by Herschel Smith/captainsjournal

--------------------------------------------
very good report, with nice pictures....as always from Jim
interest questions pop-ups
- from today i will share the reports, documentaries and other interest things here only, not on the frontpage.....too many trolls/kids/anybodies came to the site, whos can not be worth to watch/read these "stories"
--------------------------------------------

Jim Foley gives us an interesting video journal report from Kandahar.

Jim appears conflicted, but listening to the justification at or around 7:00 minutes and following, the shooting seems justified. At any rate, spotters are both difficult to detect and deadly for U.S. troops. I have previously covered aggressive Marine Corps tactics concerning enemy spotters, and the approach taken in this engagement seems no different than that of the Corps in Helmand and Anbar.

http://vimeo.com/19741331

On another front, while I understand the reflexive behavior to be sympathetic to the local Afghans, something about this translator bothers me. The translator with the Marines in Sangin seems more in line with what you would want out of someone performing this service.

Ben Anderson with the Marines and Jim Foley with the Army have given us good video coverage of the engagements, and they are both well worth the study time.

Dagger64
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Outstanding. Great reporting from Mr Foley.

Kurticus
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Excellent report. Good kill.