PDA

View Full Version : British SAS vs Navy Seals

WarGen
03-15-2009, 02:07 AM
What do their jobs entail and what are the differences? Who's the most elite and capable force?

HughesdePayens!oTR3FXiLN
03-15-2009, 02:29 AM
For one, there is no number one unit/SF whatever, at least when they are on the same tier.

Whoever gets better training/more experiance in whatever thing they doing is probably going to be better. The SEALs are probably better at water related stuff.

Get some books out, i don't know what many to recommend though.(Lone Survivor is freakin awesome, SEAL, marcus latrell)

ghost
03-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, first of all, you're comparing apples and oranges here. The SAS and US Navy SEALs are completely different things. So it's not a fair comparison. A more accurate comparison would be SAS vs Delta or DEVGRU("SEAL team six") since all of those units are counter-terrorist units. Delta was based off of the British SAS, after all. And where do you think they got their training manuals? ;) DEVGRU is also similar to Delta in the respect that they are SEALs specifically trained in counter-terrorist ops. The SAS has a slightly wider spectrum of expertise, though. I'd say they were like a combination of Delta and Army special forces("Green Berets"). But, as was said before, it all comes down to training and experience.

If you were going to compare the US Navy SEALs to another unit, it would be more accurate to compare them to the British SBS(Special Boat Service). These are Royal Marines who excel in many aspects of covert amphibious warfare(just like the SEALs), scuba, and reconnaissance.

As far as "who is better?", there's really no way to know. I just know that I'd hate to be one of the unlucky bad guys that have to fight them. Now, in my OPINION, I think that the British SAS is the best unit around. Simply because they've been around longer than anyone, have superb training(not saying that the others don't) and have racked up a lot of experience over the years. That's my 2cents.

Cruelbreed
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
He's right, I believe seals are more comparable to British SBS