PDA

View Full Version : What's an Army/Marine officers life like?

Cruelbreed
03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Another question of curiosity. If you're college educated and interested in teh military i've heard it's best to become an officer. The question is, does a first time officer get the same experience of combat? What's the officer experience like?

gundriver22
03-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Looks like you're looking for an infantry type of MOS. I can't tell you from personal experience what thats like as an Officer, but I can tell you what it's like in aviation. I was in the infantry as an E-1 through E-4. A 2nd Lt. does all the same training that the troops will, he just won't do all the shit work. You would also be responsible for all of your platoon's equipment as well as the personnel. Your biggest challenge by far would be all the little problems that come up in your platoon. As far as being in the thick of it, ya, you're there all day long. Only a weak leader would send his troops into a situation that he himself wouldn't be willing to go into. I was fortunate enough to serve under some awesome leaders on the officer side of the house. There are shitbags as well. just don't be that guy.

Just an off the wall question for ya. I would assume that since you're active on this site that the Apache interests you. Would you not be interested in flying?

Cruelbreed
03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Looks like you're looking for an infantry type of MOS. I can't tell you from personal experience what thats like as an Officer, but I can tell you what it's like in aviation. I was in the infantry as an E-1 through E-4. A 2nd Lt. does all the same training that the troops will, he just won't do all the shit work. You would also be responsible for all of your platoon's equipment as well as the personnel. Your biggest challenge by far would be all the little problems that come up in your platoon. As far as being in the thick of it, ya, you're there all day long. Only a weak leader would send his troops into a situation that he himself wouldn't be willing to go into. I was fortunate enough to serve under some awesome leaders on the officer side of the house. There are shitbags as well. just don't be that guy.

Just an off the wall question for ya. I would assume that since you're active on this site that the Apache interests you. Would you not be interested in flying?

I do have interest in flying and it's in consideration. But i've always also enjoyed to treck around in unknown terrain ever since I was a kid. Although it won't really be this kind of adventure I do want to see how capable I could be on the ground. The idea of going into the military has been on my mind much more than usual in the past 6 months. My college career is ending and although my parents really think I should be continuing in pursuing my businesses + acquiring higher paying job, I still get these urges. This is where all these questions are coming from :D I also still have EVERYTHING to learn about being a leader, I don't pretend like i'll just naturally be the best officer ever.

napalmdeath1.0
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I do have interest in flying and it's in consideration. But i've always also enjoyed to treck around in unknown terrain ever since I was a kid. Although it won't really be this kind of adventure I do want to see how capable I could be on the ground. The idea of going into the military has been on my mind much more than usual in the past 6 months. My college career is ending and although my parents really think I should be continuing in pursuing my businesses + acquiring higher paying job, I still get these urges. This is where all these questions are coming from :D I also still have EVERYTHING to learn about being a leader, I don't pretend like i'll just naturally be the best officer ever.

something i regret never doing, stuck inside a office 4ever.

Cruelbreed
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
something i regret never doing, stuck inside a office 4ever.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing at least reserves so I don't have to leave behind business ventures. But if my ventures fail, it's military for me I think. I HAVE to experience it.

sr338
03-13-2009, 03:49 AM
It's not for everybody. OCS is the hardest thing you will ever do. Not only do you have to be in peak physical condition almost maxing out the PFT to be selected, but once you're there your life becomes hell. Imagine 18 hour days (those are the easy days when you're not doing FX) with Sgt Instructors who are legally insane tearing down your every decision. You're given 6 responsibilities and enough time to accomplish 1, it's a no win situation. You have to be decisive, bold, strong, positive, and you absolutely cannot fail.
Just make sure you're 100% committed before you go, if you get selected. Over 50% of my platoon didn't graduate. I saw bad ass NCO Marines break down and cry and go home. I saw guys who maxed out the PFT and thought they couldn't be touched get buddyfucked on peer eval's and sent home because nobody in their platoon would follow them anywhere.
After that, it's still hard work but if you like stress, leading, and taking your SNCO's advice, it's a hell of a job!

Cruelbreed
03-13-2009, 04:07 AM
It's not for everybody. OCS is the hardest thing you will ever do. Not only do you have to be in peak physical condition almost maxing out the PFT to be selected, but once you're there your life becomes hell. Imagine 18 hour days (those are the easy days when you're not doing FX) with Sgt Instructors who are legally insane tearing down your every decision. You're given 6 responsibilities and enough time to accomplish 1, it's a no win situation. You have to be decisive, bold, strong, positive, and you absolutely cannot fail.
Just make sure you're 100% committed before you go, if you get selected. Over 50% of my platoon didn't graduate. I saw bad ass NCO Marines break down and cry and go home. I saw guys who maxed out the PFT and thought they couldn't be touched get buddyfucked on peer eval's and sent home because nobody in their platoon would follow them anywhere.
After that, it's still hard work but if you like stress, leading, and taking your SNCO's advice, it's a hell of a job!

Well holy crap, that tough?

sr338
03-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Well holy crap, that tough?

I might have been exaggerating that the Sgt. Instructors are legally insane, but you'll swear it's true when they are hiding their laughter as you break a thin layer of ice with your M16A2 service rifle before crawling into a marsh in 40 degree weather at 0600 and the frigid water sucks the air out of your lungs and the blood from your extremities.

Like I said, hardest thing I've ever done was OCS. I almost cried with happiness when it was over. But it all serves it's purpose.
Like I said before. Make sure you're dedicated 100%, otherwise that doubt will creep in and you'll quit at the first opportunity.