PDA

View Full Version : Army or Marines?

Cruelbreed
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Which would you join? I know Marines receive better training than ordinary army infantrymen but how about when you throw rangers into the mix?

Stark
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
you've got to be a little bit more specific than that - sell it to me - what are the advantegas and disa. for both?

Cruelbreed
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't know enough about each to really speak, technically i'm gathering intelligence on the matter for making a possible personal choice ;) I know the army is better funded and has more techy equipment, but the marines are trained harder with more viable hand to hand combat (supposedly) You got a 8 week?(army) boot camp vs 12 week(marine). In one branch you have rangers > Special Forces(green berets), in the other you have Marine Force Recon and then Navy Seals. I like the Army Special Forces because they train in language for a year and serve as warrior diplomats, Navy Seals are simply badass.

Going back to Army vs Marine I guess you can rate it depending on in which service you learn the most?

MIRV
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Marines definitely. It would be more challenging.

MIRV
www.darkthreads.com
Military - Tactical - Airsoft

Scott
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
it would have to be the marines no doubt about it, i would love to join the marines :)

Cruelbreed
03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Marines definitely. It would be more challenging.

MIRV
www.darkthreads.com (http://www.darkthreads.com)
Military - Tactical - Airsoft

What makes it more challenging?

MIRV
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Everything I've heard from friends in the military says that the marine training is much harder, marines are expected to be tougher, make do without all the resources that the army has, improvise, and work under more severe conditions...I think I'm a masochist, lol.

MIRV

blath
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Which would you join? ...

Hi, ex-Army (Regular) here. With additional exp in Navy (Civ), U.S. Dept. of Commerce (Acquisitions), US Army Cadet Command (Civ), U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, NMFS.

It's not a situation of presenting and asking which is better or harder in terms of convincing anyone. It depends on what you want to do, and how you might want to do it. And even when. In the end it's all under one Dept. and even one Govt. if you include the other services. Also for the most part at a certain age you're not limited to just choosing one. You do have the option to compete and earn a number of agency experiences.

Personally I enjoy Joint ops and working with people who've worked with other services. That way you don't get idiots, who are in uniform, claiming that their the best (usually I get this from AirForce reservist of all people) (we find it really annoying) (note not all AirForce reservists are bad you'll get bad apples from all groups) (I've even had to tell an Army MP to - in polite way - shut the f#ck up because they didn't know they were bad mouthing a very experienced UN Weapons Inspector).

Maybe you or someone might want to look into Reserve or National Guard options to the services, and see if it can fit into how you want to live your life. Even Civil Air Patrol if flying is your thing. Also besides Army or Marines, maybe Air Force (hey they have special ops groups if special ops is something you want to try), Navy (lots of variety here too but be sure you pick what you want, they are big on team work), Coast Guard (those guys do what they train for 24/7 peace or war time), NOAA Corps (if Science/Tech in the field is your thing), and Public Health Services Commission Corp that is under the Dept. of Health and Human Services, who are usually in/out of uniform at most Federal complexes, not just for medical assistance, but advisory as well.

I joined the Army(regular) because it met my general desires of having a lot of options that satisfied my needs. Also I get sea sick easy (which was probably a major factor also). However surprisingly I've done a whole lot more as a civilian, in my 3rd agency stuff I would have never imagined doing in uniform.

Any service, even outside the uniform, can be as hard as you want. Maybe you want to go undercover in the DEA, or maybe you want to ride a jet boat packing an assault rifle under NOAA-NMFS Enforcement, or be one of the few under cover agents that enforce our country's Technical Prime Directives under the U.S. Dept. of Commerce's BIS. Marine biologist, Postal worker, FBI analyst all good people stepping up doing good works.

Best thing about it is, your not limited to just sticking with one agency. However it should be noted the Marines do (most of the time as recruitment policy changes wildly over the years not just for general but even for special ops) have an age entry limit so if you have a Marine itch.. best to get that done early and try them out. Than try the other services if you want.

Also if you ever want to do Peace Corp work (another Fed. service) you should know there are 2 types of bans, a 10 year ban if you did anything related to Intelligence work and a life time ban if you were in Intelligence or did quite a lot of related work. Something to know so you don't get surprised.

Remember like in most cases in life. Public service you get what you put in. Do you want to try to float your way in and do the minimum and collect a pay check. Or maybe you just want to only serve to get education benefits. If your one of those two previously listed.. hey what ever, you still can join.. just remember in the end you're military.. whose primary function is physical enforcement of our country's policy w/ the burden of deciding what is and what is not a valid command. Or you can be someone who'll do what they can after they've joined up to learn and live as much as they can / able while they're in. These are rough examples of course. You'll have good and bad days either way. But if you go in with an honest desire of your situation and aware what you're getting into and with who (others who for the most part want to also serve ) it will be good.

Also not everything is special ops. A lot of times even special operators will have normal duties / assignments in their careers. Don't do it for benefits, don't do it because a past family member did it (I'm probably 3rd or 4th continued generation but nobody in my family put any pressure), do it because you want it. In the end you're only responsible for your own happiness.

Anyway guys please be active in your own research if you're actually interested in joining. All the services do have interactive (at least a FAQ & contact point) websites, recruiters who can answer questions esp. if your being honest with them, and remember you're not limited to just serving one service or one agency through your life. One by one of course, with exceptions but outside that.. you have a good control of what you want to try and actually do in life.
- blath

Air Force - http://www.af.mil/

Army - http://www.army.mil/

Coast Guard - http://www.uscg.mil/

NOAA Corp - http://www.noaacorps.noaa.gov/

Navy - http://www.navy.mil/

Marines - http://www.usmc.mil/

Public Health Service Corps - http://www.usphs.gov/

Cruelbreed
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi, ex-Army (Regular) here. With additional exp in Navy (Civ), U.S. Dept. of Commerce (Acquisitions), US Army Cadet Command (Civ), U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, NMFS.

It's not a situation of presenting and asking which is better or harder in terms of convincing anyone. It depends on what you want to do, and how you might want to do it. And even when. In the end it's all under one Dept. and even one Govt. if you include the other services. Also for the most part at a certain age you're not limited to just choosing one. You do have the option to compete and earn a number of agency experiences.

Personally I enjoy Joint ops and working with people who've worked with other services. That way you don't get idiots, who are in uniform, claiming that their the best (usually I get this from AirForce reservist of all people) (we find it really annoying) (note not all AirForce reservists are bad you'll get bad apples from all groups) (I've even had to tell an Army MP to - in polite way - shut the f#ck up because they didn't know they were bad mouthing a very experienced UN Weapons Inspector).

Maybe you or someone might want to look into Reserve or National Guard options to the services, and see if it can fit into how you want to live your life. Even Civil Air Patrol if flying is your thing. Also besides Army or Marines, maybe Air Force (hey they have special ops groups if special ops is something you want to try), Navy (lots of variety here too but be sure you pick what you want, they are big on team work), Coast Guard (those guys do what they train for 24/7 peace or war time), NOAA Corps (if Science/Tech in the field is your thing), and Public Health Services Commission Corp that is under the Dept. of Health and Human Services, who are usually in/out of uniform at most Federal complexes, not just for medical assistance, but advisory as well.

I joined the Army(regular) because it met my general desires of having a lot of options that satisfied my needs. Also I get sea sick easy (which was probably a major factor also). However surprisingly I've done a whole lot more as a civilian, in my 3rd agency stuff I would have never imagined doing in uniform.

Any service, even outside the uniform, can be as hard as you want. Maybe you want to go undercover in the DEA, or maybe you want to ride a jet boat packing an assault rifle under NOAA-NMFS Enforcement, or be one of the few under cover agents that enforce our country's Technical Prime Directives under the U.S. Dept. of Commerce's BIS. Marine biologist, Postal worker, FBI analyst all good people stepping up doing good works.

Best thing about it is, your not limited to just sticking with one agency. However it should be noted the Marines do (most of the time as recruitment policy changes wildly over the years not just for general but even for special ops) have an age entry limit so if you have a Marine itch.. best to get that done early and try them out. Than try the other services if you want.

Also if you ever want to do Peace Corp work (another Fed. service) you should know there are 2 types of bans, a 10 year ban if you did anything related to Intelligence work and a life time ban if you were in Intelligence or did quite a lot of related work. Something to know so you don't get surprised.

Remember like in most cases in life. Public service you get what you put in. Do you want to try to float your way in and do the minimum and collect a pay check. Or maybe you just want to only serve to get education benefits. If your one of those two previously listed.. hey what ever, you still can join.. just remember in the end you're military.. whose primary function is physical enforcement of our country's policy w/ the burden of deciding what is and what is not a valid command. Or you can be someone who'll do what they can after they've joined up to learn and live as much as they can / able while they're in. These are rough examples of course. You'll have good and bad days either way. But if you go in with an honest desire of your situation and aware what you're getting into and with who (others who for the most part want to also serve ) it will be good.

Also not everything is special ops. A lot of times even special operators will have normal duties / assignments in their careers. Don't do it for benefits, don't do it because a past family member did it (I'm probably 3rd or 4th continued generation but nobody in my family put any pressure), do it because you want it. In the end you're only responsible for your own happiness.

Anyway guys please be active in your own research if you're actually interested in joining. All the services do have interactive (at least a FAQ & contact point) websites, recruiters who can answer questions esp. if your being honest with them, and remember you're not limited to just serving one service or one agency through your life. One by one of course, with exceptions but outside that.. you have a good control of what you want to try and actually do in life.
- blath

Air Force - http://www.af.mil/

Army - http://www.army.mil/

Coast Guard - http://www.uscg.mil/

NOAA Corp - http://www.noaacorps.noaa.gov/

Navy - http://www.navy.mil/

Marines - http://www.usmc.mil/

Public Health Service Corps - http://www.usphs.gov/

Thanks much for the information, this is just something that's on my mind as I consider what i'm interested in. Currently in school at the University of Miami and unsure if I want to continue in business or answer my call to the military.

sr338
03-13-2009, 04:31 AM
There's a lot of good natured ribbing between the branches, but everybody knows there isn't a "better" branch. Yeah the Air Force might be easier, the Marines will see a little more combat, the Army can do more and the Navy may have more gays, but there is so much overlap that nobody can honestly answer that question.

You have to figure out what you want to do, and even if you want to do it. Remember, most people are only in the military for a few years... and it's not because they love it.

EXCONservative
03-19-2009, 06:52 AM
as Army Infantry for 6 years and practiced against Marine units a few times At Ft. Drum, Ft. Polk and Ft. Irwin.
The marines are great but they never got the better of us. They are bullet catchers like we were and reckless on many occasions which was generally their demise when practicing against our units.
Real life...hard to say but technology has defineatly helped to even the odds over sheer brawn or aggressiveness.
Artillery and Air strikes can wipe out a marine unit before they ever set eyes on their enemy and weapons today in any soldiers hands can decimate an entire platoon in just seconds.
Marines are hardy I'll give them that but they are flesh and bone. That is their greatest weakness.
There is a reason why Marines always take the most casualties so I guess it really comes down to how badly you want to come home in one piece? Lol.

Cruelbreed
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
as Army Infantry for 6 years and practiced against Marine units a few times At Ft. Drum, Ft. Polk and Ft. Irwin.
The marines are great but they never got the better of us. They are bullet catchers like we were and reckless on many occasions which was generally their demise when practicing against our units.
Real life...hard to say but technology has defineatly helped to even the odds over sheer brawn or aggressiveness.
Artillery and Air strikes can wipe out a marine unit before they ever set eyes on their enemy and weapons today in any soldiers hands can decimate an entire platoon in just seconds.
Marines are hardy I'll give them that but they are flesh and bone. That is their greatest weakness.
There is a reason why Marines always take the most casualties so I guess it really comes down to how badly you want to come home in one piece? Lol.

I want to come home in one piece thank you, you ever think of becoming a ranger?

EXCONservative
03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
My grandfather was with Darby's Rangers in W.W II.
I really wanted to follow in his footsteps once I got into the Infantry.
I volunteered for Airborne while in Basic as they had several slots available and looking for recruits to fill them.
I thought I was going and looking forward to it as I wanted as much schooling as possible.
What I didn't know was that I was not a candidate as I was slotted for Ft. Drum and it was a critical post as battalions were being sent to Bosnia.

So...they sent me to Drum 2-14 Inf Bn A Co and they weren't going anywhere.
I talked to the SGT Major and convinced him that he should send me to Bosnia. Lol.
He transferred me to B-Co and off I went 3 weeks later with half of the I.R.T training I needed.
I spent 9 months working day in and day out and learned real world experience.
It was exhausting though...basic then Bosnia.
When I came back to the states all I wanted was to party and relax.
I'll admit...I got lazy. I should have gone to Ranger school right there and then while I was still feeling hooah but the longer I stayed in...the less the desire was inside.
Then of course the more stories I heard about the training the less I wanted to beat myself up. Lol.
I did my time, got my badges and have some crazy stories to boot.
I don't regret anything Airborne and Ranger school would have been fine but everything happens for a reason.
I went on to see and do many other exciting things while I was in.
Had I gone to Ranger school...I might have never been one of the first to go into Afghanistan?
Going to Afghanistan in 2001, 2002 was without a doubt the most exciting and memorable experience of my life.

Cruelbreed
03-22-2009, 07:56 PM
My grandfather was with Darby's Rangers in W.W II.
I really wanted to follow in his footsteps once I got into the Infantry.
I volunteered for Airborne while in Basic as they had several slots available and looking for recruits to fill them.
I thought I was going and looking forward to it as I wanted as much schooling as possible.
What I didn't know was that I was not a candidate as I was slotted for Ft. Drum and it was a critical post as battalions were being sent to Bosnia.

So...they sent me to Drum 2-14 Inf Bn A Co and they weren't going anywhere.
I talked to the SGT Major and convinced him that he should send me to Bosnia. Lol.
He transferred me to B-Co and off I went 3 weeks later with half of the I.R.T training I needed.
I spent 9 months working day in and day out and learned real world experience.
It was exhausting though...basic then Bosnia.
When I came back to the states all I wanted was to party and relax.
I'll admit...I got lazy. I should have gone to Ranger school right there and then while I was still feeling hooah but the longer I stayed in...the less the desire was inside.
Then of course the more stories I heard about the training the less I wanted to beat myself up. Lol.
I did my time, got my badges and have some crazy stories to boot.
I don't regret anything Airborne and Ranger school would have been fine but everything happens for a reason.
I went on to see and do many other exciting things while I was in.
Had I gone to Ranger school...I might have never been one of the first to go into Afghanistan?
Going to Afghanistan in 2001, 2002 was without a doubt the most exciting and memorable experience of my life.

Thanks for your service brother.

ghost
03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
So, you were in Operation Anaconda?

Thanks for your service brother.

Second that.

EXCONservative
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes sir.

leahcimnosirrom
03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
army..... right now, if i join, i qualify as an officer. if i don't want to do the OCS thing, i just earn a couple of bars because of all the college i got under the belt. that is what the recruiters tell me. i got to the age of 36 to make up my mind concerning service in certain "carer paths" the army offers. to old for the marines at the age of 31.

gunny don't like old dudes :drillsergeant:

Cruelbreed
03-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Good luck,i'll be joining in a year most likely at around 23-24