PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about reenlistment

DefensorFortis
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey everybody. I'll be shipping off this January for Army Infantry One Station Unit Training. My goal is to serve until I'm 60 years old and then call it a day and retire someplace nice. I'm 18 right now, so that means in order to retire at 60 would mean 43 years of service.

I've heard of guys serving for 30 or even 35 years in the military but I'm thinking 43 years might be a bit of a stretch. I've been toying with the idea of serving out maybe 20 years in the Army then go to another branch so I can start someplace new at the bottom rung and put in another 20+ years in that branch.

My question is this: is it possible to serve all 43 years in the Army or would the plan I outlined above be a better route? Also if the plan above is the better route is it possible to reenlist into another branch or would I have be leave the Army first and then walk into a recruiters office and enlist? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sixx
12-06-2010, 04:04 PM
You can do it, if you are committed. After E-7, things start to change and other factors affect your career progression. Big one is higher education....you'll need to have degrees eventually.

Also
Some branches will let you cross over to another branch....Such as Operation Blue to Green
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/additional-incentives/blue-to-green.html

theshoebox
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Although it's not quite on topic, I wish you luck, although I doubt you'll need
it :P. Stay strong man! Just know that there is an end to everything, and
they can't break you.

DefensorFortis
12-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Although it's not quite on topic, I wish you luck, although I doubt you'll need
it :P. Stay strong man! Just know that there is an end to everything, and
they can't break you.

Thanks shoebox, I think I'll do pretty damn well ;)

fiestybean
12-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Man even I had the idea of switching between branches so I can feel like I had a piece of the whole pie, but of course things change :P I may not realllly enjoy the job I have now but I do love the big Army and and grateful I have been doing other things outside of my MOS. Going Infantry will open you up to pretty much boundless options and assignments, so pretty much keeping yourself in check is key, I have seen plenty of people get kicked out for retarded shit or simply not adapting to military life. Im not saying its impossible, for I have seen people switch between branches, but know that you might find your comfort zone in just one and plan out your time in it......I think imma try 20....so far have 6 so have some ways to go :P

nastyleg
12-11-2010, 10:07 PM
ok 30+ is possilble 40+ is damn near impossible, at 32 they start looking at your whole career and what you have done and what you can still offer the Army. As far as starting out on the bottom rung in another service is not likely going to happen......your years of service plus your pride will prevent that from happening

DefensorFortis
12-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the facts nastyleg. I was afraid it wouldn't be doable. Well I guess I'll go as far as they'll let me, but it will be a good career no matter how long it lasts.