PDA

View Full Version : Nov. 29., 2010. - 6 NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan ---- WTF?????

SgtJim
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
2010-11-S-365
For Immediate Release

ISAF investigates shooting incident in eastern Afghanistan
KABUL, Afghanistan (Nov. 29) – An individual in an Afghan Border Police uniform turned his weapon against International Security Assistance Forces during a training mission today, killing six servicemembers in eastern Afghanistan.
The individual who fired on the ISAF forces was also killed in the incident.
A joint Afghan and ISAF team is investigating this incident.
It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities.
-------------------------

KABUL,
Six soldiers of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) were killed in a shooting incident on Monday in east Afghanistan and the alliance said in a press release that it is probing whether an Afghan police is involved in the bloody attack.
"An individual in an Afghan Border Police uniform turned his weapon against International Security Assistance Forces during a training mission today, killing six service members in eastern Afghanistan," ISAF said in a press release issued here.
The individual who fired on the ISAF forces was also killed in the incident.
"A joint Afghan and ISAF team is investigating this incident," the press release added.
However, it did not disclose the nationalities of the victims and the exact place of the incident saying "It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities."
Troops mostly from the Unites States have been stationed in eastern Afghan provinces within the ISAF framework to help stabilize security there.
An Afghan soldier killed a NATO solider in a similar incident in Helmand province last July.

from isaf and military news

WTF????? :sulk:

Ripcord
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I have said many many times..the difference between the Taliban and the ANP/ABP and even a few ANA is a uniform.

I highly doubt this was just some guy who got a hold of a ABP uniform....for the most part the guys (Afghans) serving together in areas all know and grew up together, and I can't see the ISAF trainers letting some guy in on a live fire training exercise without knowing him..same as if we were at the range, someone not in our platoon/section or whatever would be known by us or would be brought in by the proper channels.here in Canada and I am sure in the States/Britain/Germany/Australia etc etc You can't just show up on a live fire range in a uniform and expect to get on the firing line without being challenged in some way...and I am sure the ISAF trainers brought that mentality (Especially over there) with them.

that's my 2 cents anyway.

SgtJim
11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
when i was a training officer on a live fire training, i was allways stay behind the "privates" with unlatched-tube filled pistol
it was a rule...

SgtJim
12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
The shooting incident occurred during artillery training at an Afghan Border Police outpost on top of a mountain.
The U.S. service members, partnered with Afghan National Army soldiers, had climbed the mountain to observe the artillery impact area.
The Afghan Army provided perimeter security once the group reached the remote outpost.

Following the customary tea provided by border police manning the outpost, and a security call-out in the valley,
the first projectile was fired when the impact area was clear and safe.

Immediately following the impact, the border police member opened fire, killing six U.S. soldiers.
Two U.S. soldiers returned fire, killing the border policeman.

"This is a terrible tragedy. The actions of this lone gunman are in no way a reflection of the great working relationship
we enjoy with the International Security Assistance Force," said Gen. Bismillah Mohammadi, Afghan Interior Minister.
"We offer our sincerest condolences to the families of the victims of this horrific incident.”