PDA

View Full Version : Got some questions about video/recording on deployment

BHDNH9
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Just wondering who has recorded video while on their deployment, and what kind of camera do you recommend?

I want to record alot of video since we will be on the road 90% of the time over there, and want people back at home to see what it's like. Heard people say there's a helmet camera out there, that attaches to the side of the ACH, but it's expensive as hell.

Any ideas?

ErisKillton
11-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Here is a link to a helmet cam.
http://www.goprocamera.com/products/hd-helmet-hero-camera.php?gclid=CLeutLeRraUCFeFN5QodszM6aA

If you dont necessarily want HD its not that expensive. Depending on the quality of the video you want you can get one for like 100$ probably cheaper if you shop around.

Otherwise Id recommend one of the Flip cams. small lightweight portable easy to use HD and fairly cheap...and you can just use some high speed tape to attatch it to your helmet or whatever if you really wanted to....haha :)

I have no idea about the rules during deployment tho.

Good luck!

Sixx
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Eris beat me to it.

GoPro is the best for what you are looking for.
Well worth the money.

It is awesome.

However you have to be careful and make sure your team is cool.
Taking videos while conducting business is being frowned upon more and more......

People have lost stripes because of it.

gutro
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
what exactly ARE the rules for combat footage?

I'd also like to know the rules for filming inside a cockpit during ops..... even training flights.... to me a loose camera is a bad idea in a cockpit.

BHDNH9
11-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, well I've talked to alot of my fellow guys and some of us planned on recording stuff over there. But we all agreed if we recorded something tragic, and it shows someone getting killed or seriously injured, we would delete it out of respect for the person.

Most of the videos I planned on recording wouldn't go on the internet. I just wanted to have them on my computer back at home for something to look at and remember the deployment.

Thanks for the idea on that camera though. I'll look more into it.

SgtJim
11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
another great, usefull, mini DV camera, and cheap!
the MD80 mini DV

> Low illumination, high resolution image with 2000K pixels
> High speed recording and quick light response
> 25 frames per second for 640*480 video output
> Built-in Li rechargeable battery lasting for 2 hours
> Provide 2G Micro SD card and Support 16G memory card (max)
> Easy operation with LED indicator
> Support USB 2.0
> Flexible installation with clip and bracket

.aee.com/en/productshow.asp?sendid=40

you can found it on ebay too

SgtJim
11-22-2010, 10:43 AM
double post
delete it pls

because of site internal error.....sorry

Skanza
11-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I know that in Britain all footage should technically be screened by the Ministry of Defence and approved before being released to the public. A lot if bypassed though, but it is worth knowing that your footage can be seen by the enemy online and they can learn from your SOPs etc.

As for that, the helmet cam that Eris linked is good as I can vouch for it.

If you wan't something a bit more flash, try the Red Series. I think the scarlet is soon to be released, and if you are serious about taking some footage this is the perfect item ;)
Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRo3u0snnAw&hd=1

May set you back a couple of grand though! haha

SgtJim
11-23-2010, 08:30 AM
a very usefull site! ---> helmetcameracentral.com

you can find more great camareas with reviews here

SgtJim
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
i found another great helmet cam site:

http://www.tachyoninc.com/

xeasternskies
11-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Awesome .. had the same question as you BHD might have to buy one of these badboys myself.