PDA

View Full Version : Exhumation of PVT. James Sumner

drp1981
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up before, if not then here's the back story.

Pvt. James Sumner was in the U.S. Army and awarded the Medal of Honor for a battle during the Indian Wars in 1869. He moved to Ventura, Ca later in life and passed away at the age of 72. He was buried at St. Mary's Cemetery. After years of neglect the city of Ventura took over the Cemetery and designated it at park, removing most the the head stones. Pvt. James Sumner was not moved out of respect but now the park is considered a Dog Park. Now there are dogs defecating on or near Pvt. Sumner's grave. Retired Marine Sgt. Craig Donor wants to exhume Sumner and have him moved to the National Cemetery in Bakersfield. The city has pledged to convert the park back to a cemetery and construct a memorial to Pvt. Sumner. But has yet to fulfill there promise.

I'd like to hear what everyone here on AC thinks. Myself i think the city should get off their ass and build a memorial and close off the cemetery to dogs NOW. I understand why Sgt. Donor wants him moved but that was Sumner's home town and he does have a history there. Sgt. Donor should stop asking him to be moved, let Sumner rest in peace and start pushing the city to build a memorial.

Any thoughts?

JOG12
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Have it moved, this great man has dog feces on his tomb stone, what a disgrace.

Mel
10-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Get that man out of there...The worthless city politicians don't give a rats ass about who this man is.A dog park....Jesus H. Christ,What a fucking shit hole for a man like this.:nono:

KGCNC
10-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Remove the man. "Fucking disgrace" does not even cover this. Not only him but everybody in the cemetery deserves some respect. Is there something in the water in Cali that makes certain folks do dumb shit? Unreal.

drp1981
10-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Very true i'm pissed at the fact that the city has done shit to honor this man, but moving him from his final resting place isn't the answer either. Sgt. Donor is turning this situation into a 3 ring circus. If you have seen the news reports like i have you'd understand. What he should have been doing with his time is working with the city to improve the cemetery and get it back to being the resting place of the more then 3,000 people buried there. Instead he's going head to head with the city and proposing something that more then likely will never happen. All he is doing is turning the city against him, which is just not helping his cause.

Oh and by the way the city has never deemed the site as a dog park it's the CIVILIANS in the area that use the public area to walk their dogs. Don't get me wrong i'm not defending the city, i just don't want to see this man dug up because of one mans misguided quest. Build the memorial this man deserves!

drp1981
10-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Remove the man. "Fucking disgrace" does not even cover this. Not only him but everybody in the cemetery deserves some respect. Is there something in the water in Cali that makes certain folks do dumb shit? Unreal.

No there isn't it's just the dumb fucks that move here from out of state that pollute the population here. California used to be a great state until all the pussies started showing up. I was born here and i'm a proud veteran, waiting for my next tour oversea.