PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on shooting before I leave for basic

DefensorFortis
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Well, my ship date for OSUT is getting closer, and I recently kicked ass on my last APFT, but it dawned on me "hey, I own a gun, maybe I could practice some marksmanship". My only problem is that I only have a .22 with a scope. Is it worth my time to go out and practice or should I just forget everything about shooting (except for the safety rules) and just shoot the way my Drill Sergeants want me to ?

Sixx
10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, my ship date for OSUT is getting closer, and I recently kicked ass on my last APFT, but it dawned on me "hey, I own a gun, maybe I could practice some marksmanship". My only problem is that I only have a .22 with a scope. Is it worth my time to go out and practice or should I just forget everything about shooting (except for the safety rules) and just shoot the way my Drill Sergeants want me to ?

Just remember this my brother......they will teach you what you need to know.

The basic fundementals of firing is this: Keep your eye focused on the Iron sights/red dot and not the target (once you see your target, align sights then focus on your sights only.
Control your breathing-find what works for you, I like to fire after I fully exhale and hold. Then "squeeze" the trigger...do not jerk it, take your time. The report should suprise you, do not anticipate the shot or it will throw your rounds off target.

You will learn, but just remember that the fundementals of firing is key to success.
I have always shot expert on quals using this method.

Just remember you will be instructed on every thing you need to know. Just listen to the instructors and let it sink in.

And always remember range safety and weapons safety. I have seen plenty of people kicked off the firing lines for dumb mistakes....and as a trainee you don't want that to happen.

If you have time, take your scope off of the .22 and practice trigger pulls without jerking.

DefensorFortis
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks Pzycho, really good advice. I've been shooting since I was 8, but I've picked up some bad habits (got the flinches, picked up bad trigger pull habits i.e. pulling the trigger and making my shots go left/right) but I've worked the flinches out and I have my trigger pull and follow through down. I'm pretty saftey conscientious and always go through the basic rules in my head whenever I'm handling my gun. Thanks for the refresher on the fundamentals, because I don't think about them I just do them but it's good to remember what exactly they say.