PDA

View Full Version : US Grenade May Have Killed Aid Worker Share20 Share Comments (95)

ianstone
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
US Grenade May Have Killed Aid Worker

Comments (95) (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/British-Aid-Worker-Linda-Norgrove-May-Have-Been-Killed-By-US-Grenade-David-Cameron-Reveals/Article/201010215755921?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15755921_British_Aid_Worker_Linda_Norg rove_May_Have_Been_Killed_By_US_Grenade%2C_David_C ameron_Reveals#comments)

Alex Watts and Rob Cole, Sky News Online
British aid worker Linda Norgrove may have been killed by a US grenade during her failed rescue attempt.

David Cameron made the announcement after arriving 40 minutes late for a media briefing.
Initial reports suggested Ms Norgrove had been killed when a terrorist detonated an explosives vest.
The Prime Minister said he had personally authorised the rescue operation and "deeply regretted" her death.
But he stressed that it was a "very difficult judgement" to make and Ms Norgrove's parents were kept informed throughout.
"You can never be sure if it will lead to the successful release of the hostage," he added.
He said he was "deeply sorry and distressed" by her death, but still believed the rescue mission was the correct decision to make.
"We were told the danger she was in was getting worse as she was passed up the terrorist chain of command," he added.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Oct/Week2/15754976.jpg Linda Norgrove was killed in Afghanistan

Ms Norgrove, from Sutherland in the Scottish Highlands, was seized by Taliban fighters in Afghanistan's Kunar province on September 26.
Three Afghan nationals also taken by the insurgents were later released, but Ms Norgrove continued to be held as fears grew for her safety.
It had initially been reported that the 36-year-old died after her kidnappers detonated a bomb vest as American troops tried to free her.
Now it appears she may have been killed by a grenade thrown by US special forces. Six kidnappers also died in the mission.
Asked whether he had considered sending in British special forces, Mr Cameron pointed out that the area of eastern Afghanistan where Ms Norgrove was being held was controlled by the US.
Foreign Secretary William Hague later said in a statement to the House of Commons that "we agreed from the outset this would be US-led".
Sky foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall (http://blogs.news.sky.com/foreignmatters) said: "Sky News understands the SAS was involved in an advisory role.
"They were there but they weren't the ones that actually went in. They would have been on the perimeter or close to it.
"We're told that they had one view of how to do this and the Americans had another view. The Americans went ahead with their view."
The PM said an investigation into her death was under way, led by US commander General David Petraeus (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/David_Petraeus).
"Initial reports indicated the explosion was caused by a detonation triggered by one of the captors who was in close proximity to Linda Norgrove," General Petraeus said in a statement.
"Subsequent review of surveillance footage and discussions with members of the rescue team do not conclusively determine the cause of her death."
Speaking from the Isle of Lewis, Ms Norgrove's father John said: "We are not saying anything to the Press at the moment.
"We might issue a statement in another day or two, we're not certain, but now we are not saying anything."
:: Friendly fire, cover-ups and the truth about Ms Norgrove's death: Read US correspondent Greg Milam's American Pie blog. (http://blogs.news.sky.com/americanpie/Post:745e7b78-c5d6-4bb2-993b-5a89e697a918)

shark
10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
one of the interesting comments:

"If I was a UK hostage and I heard the Yanks were coming to get me out, I would be very worried! Their track record is not exactly great. The SAS however have a much better track record and I would be filled with confidence of a successfull extraction. As someone pointed out, who in their right mind uses frag grenades in a hostage resue. The SAS use flashbangs and they are extremely effective. Everyone is disorientated but still alive and that lets the boys go and do what they do best. Why the Yanks were ever allowed to control the rescue of a UK citizen when the SAS were available beggars belief. Just because the Yanks control that area is not a valid excuse in my book! Our Government should have insisted that we have jurisdiction on a UK citizen. I genuinely believe she would be alive today if the Regiment was deployed."

ianstone
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
It was all a question of Intel and surprise. Any special forces can do rescues, they practise them dozens of times.
SAS or SBS fine, but don't knock the US forces capabilities. Things can go wrong and a touch of luck helps too.
I respectfully disagree with the SAS being 100% perfect and I won't say why, they are not as perfect as people imagine,
They are damn good, world leaders in some fields. I feel this rescue could have waited a little longer to ensure a better result,
however, sorry, Shit happens and sadly this is one of those cases.

laxaddict992
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM

"If I was a UK hostage and I heard the Yanks were coming to get me out, I would be very worried! Their track record is not exactly great. The SAS however have a much better track record and I would be filled with confidence of a successfull extraction. As someone pointed out, who in their right mind uses frag grenades in a hostage resue. The SAS use flashbangs and they are extremely effective. Everyone is disorientated but still alive and that lets the boys go and do what they do best. Why the Yanks were ever allowed to control the rescue of a UK citizen when the SAS were available beggars belief. Just because the Yanks control that area is not a valid excuse in my book! Our Government should have insisted that we have jurisdiction on a UK citizen. I genuinely believe she would be alive today if the Regiment was deployed."

dude shut the hell up the SAS doesnt have a better track record you are just saying that you have no proof

Jdubya
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM

I think Shark is an SAS fanboy. But, regardless of who it was that conducted the raid they are in an active war zone and a lot of shit can happen really fast. This just happens to be one of those times that things didn't go right it could've happened to any SF team.

windexglow
10-11-2010, 04:42 PM
That was a troll. It's meant to get you mad/give some kind of emotional response to the poster.

shark
10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
LMFAO - if you have a brain and aren’t a retarded guppy swimming in a small fish tank among other mentally challenged arthropods, then perhaps you might want to read unvarnished European opinions at Sky News about the incident, because you won’t get that here with the conformist enforcers tagging Thoughtcrime on every post.

Scott
10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
LMFAO - if you have a brain and aren’t a retarded guppy swimming in a small fish tank among other mentally challenged arthropods, then perhaps you might want to read unvarnished European opinions at Sky News about the incident, because you won’t get that here with the conformist enforcers tagging Thoughtcrime on every post.

yes and with comments like that, no wonder you are in timeout. goodbye.