View Full Version : man killed partner after nagging

ianstone
10-07-2010, 01:07 PM
7 October 2010 Last updated at 17:19
What do you think ?

North Shields man killed partner after nagging

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49410000/jpg/_49410285_dennis_long.jpg
The judge said Long had shown genuine remorse
A man who was nagged for 30 years before he stabbed his partner to death has been found guilty of killing her.
Dennis Long, 59, was cleared of the murder of Judith Scott, 60, at their home in North Shields, North Tyneside.
But he was convicted of manslaughter on the grounds of provocation at Newcastle Crown Court. He was jailed for four years and eight months.
The court heard he stabbed her in March after abuse from her, which included being beaten with a poker.
'Genuine remorse'
On the night he stabbed her she had called him weak and told him she should wear the trousers and he should be in a dress, the court was told.
Immediately afterwards he rang 999 and told the call handler: "I just lost it - she gave me grief so I knifed her."
The court heard she repeatedly beat him with a poker and nagged him.
Sentencing him, Judge John Milford said: "You are a placid, unassertive, rather weak man."
He said Long was "full of genuine remorse" and was a hard-working man of good character.
The judge said the killing had to be seen against a background of 30 years' severe conduct by the deceased.
He paid tribute to Ms Scott's daughters, Kerry and Paula, who made victim impact statements in which they said they could not hate their step-father.
Outside court, Kerry Scott said: "Many people knew my mam and what she was like and, even though at times she was difficult and strong in character, we all loved her very much."