PDA

View Full Version : Well done Nebraska, proud of you all.

ianstone
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Gilbert to honor military personnel

[/URL]by Parker Leavitt - Oct. 2, 2010 06:14 AM

During World War II, a small railroad town in southwestern Nebraska gained national fame for its spontaneous, generous service to military servicemen and servicewomen who passed through on their way to war.
Volunteers in North Platte, each day provided 3,000 to 5,000 soldiers with food, magazines and entertainment during their brief stay, according to nebraska studies.org (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/01/20101001gilbert-honor-military-personnel.html#comments).
Over four years, an estimated 50,000 civilians rallied to serve 6 million troops. They raised money through scrap drives, dances, concerts, movie benefits and cash donations.
Decades later, that legacy is inspiring other communities to follow suit, including a new program to be launched in Gilbert.
"We really wish to just recognize the heroes in our community and by so doing let them know that there are lots of people here behind them," Councilwoman Jenn Daniels said.
Gilbert's "Operation Welcome Home" is modeled after a similar program in Danville, Calif., where Daniels attended high school. The program will include a ceremony for servicemen and women upon return from active duty or graduation from a military academy, according to a town staff report.
In Danville, 53 servicemen and women have been recognized over the past six years, according to the staff report.
Daniels said she wants the ceremonies to be done for each soldier rather than as a group.
"I think doing this on an individual basis allows them to really know that we appreciate their individual service," she said.
Friends, family members or neighbors can nominate a returning or graduating military member. The military member must live in Gilbert or work for the town government to be eligible.
The ceremonies will likely take place at the Gilbert Municipal Center before a Town Council meeting, Daniels said. There will be a presentation and a "hero's welcome" to include a flag presentation, singing of the national anthem and a proclamation.
Local school districts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have expressed interest in contributing to the program, Daniels said. Elected officials and veterans' groups could be invited to speak at the ceremony.
Three Town Council members - including Daniels, Vice Mayor Les Presmyk and Councilman John Sentz - have formed a subcommittee to work out the logistics of the program, which could begin as soon as mid-November. The committee is working with veterans' groups to find the first honoree, Daniels said.
"While I don't expect we will ever gain the notoriety . . . like North Platte, I think this gives us one more opportunity to show that we are the hometown of servicemen and women and to provide them with a little extra something," Presmyk said.

Read more: [URL]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/01/20101001gilbert-honor-military-personnel.html#ixzz11FBgDzLP

Mel
10-02-2010, 09:34 PM
That makes me very proud of the people in my state.

windexglow
10-03-2010, 12:10 AM
I'll be heading up to NP in a few days, nice coincidence. Shitty winters and hot summers, but I still like it.

Mel
10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I'll be heading up to NP in a few days, nice coincidence. Shitty winters and hot summers, but I still like it.

I see you've spent some time in Nebraska Windex...:lol:

truffs1010
10-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Lived in NE for 8 years, greatest people in the world, miss em all and miss NE. Stories like this are testament to the people all over the state.