PDA

View Full Version : Inventor of the HESCO barrier drives off a cliff

Malice
09-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Inventor of the HESCO barrier drives off a cliff

The inventor of the HESCO barrier (commonly used in Afghanistan and Iraq), also known for purchasing the Segway company drove his Segway off a cliff in England and died.

Source (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20017658-503543.html)

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/110991769/Hesco_barrier.jpg

The body of the multimillionaire owner of the Segway company has been pulled from a river in England after apparently driving one of the two-wheeled upright vehicles off a cliff on his sprawling estate. Jimi Heselden, who's company purchased Segway, was driving an off-road version of the vehicle down a trail on his North Yorkshire property when it fell off a cliff and into the Wharfe, reports The Telegraph.
"At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious," a police statement provided to the newspaper said.
His body was reportedly discovered by a passerby, and police say his Segway was recovered from the river.
Heselden earned his millions (he was reportedly worth about $263 million) by inventing a barrier system using a cage filled with sand and water that sold in huge numbers to the U.S. and British militaries, and NATO.
The HESCO Bastions are effective at stopping bullets, other ammunition and artillery and vehicles and are widely used in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
Heselden founded that company with his severance pay after being laid off as a miner.

Jdubya
09-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Kinda ironic don't you think? Drives off a cliff on a Segway but made the Hesco barrier. Guy must have been doing some crazy shit to drive his Segway off a cliff.

Malice
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
indeed, not a big proponent of his own product =D.
He was testing out a newer off-road version of the Segway at the time.

Jivaro
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM
indeed, not a big proponent of his own product =D.
He was testing out a newer off-road version of the Segway at the time.

Back to the drawing board...

MickDonalds
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
If there's one thing that I could do when I would go back in time, it would be to go back to the year 2000, before 9-11 and buy a bunch of shares of Hesco company. I'd be a multi-millionaire by time Iraq started.