PDA

View Full Version : How stupid can Texas get ?

ianstone
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
24 September 2010 Last updated at 03:06

Texas weighs bid to rid schools of 'pro-Islam' books

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49227000/jpg/_49227289_001693444-1.jpg Supporters say the resolution is needed to warn publishers not to print "anti-Christian" books
The Texas school board is set to vote on a resolution urging publishers to keep "pro-Islamic/anti-Christian" language out of textbooks in the state.
Among other complaints, the non-binding decree says some textbooks devote more lines to Islam than to Christianity and print "whitewashes" of Islamic culture.
Critics say it relies on a flawed reading of books that are out of use.
In May, the panel adopted guidelines that critics said injected conservative political ideas into the curriculum.
Texas is one of the largest textbook markets in the US, and a vote in favour of the resolution could carry considerable weight in the publishing industry, supporters say.
Warning to publishers
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49227000/gif/_49227601_us_texas_0923.gif
The measure, on which the Texas Board of Education will vote on Friday in the state capital of Austin, is drafted by Randy Rives, a businessman and former school official in the Texas city of Odessa.
Supporters say the resolution is needed to warn textbook publishers not to print "anti-Christian" books if they want to sell them to Texas schools.
"It's the pro-Islamic, anti-Christian teachings in these books, that is what we are concerned about," Mr Rives told the BBC.
"We're teaching double the beliefs and specifics about another religion than we are about Christianity, which is the foundation of our country."
Among several complaints, the resolution says that a textbook used until 2003 used pejorative language to describe the crusaders while "euphemising Muslim conquest of Christian lands as 'migrations'".
It also says a book approved for use in Texas schools until 2003 devoted 159 lines of text to Islam and only 82 to Christianity, and recounted crusaders' massacres of European Jews while ignoring a 15th Century massacre of Baghdad Muslims by the Muslim conqueror Tamerlane.
Flawed reading
Mr Rives, a Republican who lost an election for the state school board this year, rejected criticism the resolution refers to books no longer used in Texas schools.
"The big concern is that we don't let it happen in the future," he said.
The Texas Freedom Network, an organisation that says it promotes religious freedom and individual liberties and opposes "the religious right", accused the Texas board of manufacturing controversy instead of focusing on education. It said the resolution relied on a flawed reading of textbooks that overlooked certain passages.
"This resolution is another example of state board members putting politics ahead of expertise and refusing to consider the advice of real scholars before doing something provocative and divisive," the group said in a statement.
"Indeed, the board has asked no scholars or other experts for public advice about the resolution."

MickDonalds
09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd say Texas is pretty damn smart. I don't want to hear about the muzzies "superior" and "peaceful" culture :roleyes: . I deal with it every day

theshoebox
09-25-2010, 08:32 AM
So dumb, religion should have no place in our schools.

The Texas education system needs to be revamped, there are so many awkward
mindless rules and regulations. It's frustrating having to work around them.

dowgreyme
09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
my flat mate was reading the full news article out to me, I think I remember him saying that these books were out dated and are not used in school anyways around 2003?

DefensorFortis
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Here in Upstate New York the only thing my American History classes taught me about the Vietnam war was about the politics of the war, the my lai massacre, and how the Tet-offensive showed the American public that Vietnam couldn't be won. They said nothing about the battles, the men who sacrificed, they just focused on the hippies and the politics.

Trust me on this, I would rather have gone to school in Texas to learn that America is a christian nation founded on christian principles instead of having gone to school in bleeding heart Upstate New York to learn American history from biased anti-american teachers and textbooks.

MickDonalds
09-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Here in Upstate New York the only thing my American History classes taught me about the Vietnam war was about the politics of the war, the my lai massacre, and how the Tet-offensive showed the American public that Vietnam couldn't be won. They said nothing about the battles, the men who sacrificed, they just focused on the hippies and the politics.

Trust me on this, I would rather have gone to school in Texas to learn that America is a christian nation founded on christian principles instead of having gone to school in bleeding heart Upstate New York to learn American history from biased anti-american teachers and textbooks.

I was taught the same thing. It's as if the textbook companies take article entry submissions from leftist fuck authors with no respect. Did we make mistakes in Vietnam? Sure. Did we do a HELL of a lot of good? Absolutely. Yet I could open an American History textbook in ANY public school and read the same trash that you described above. Someday when I teach history, I'm NOT going to follow Houghton-Mifflin textbook trash as a reading requirement for my students. I won't let my hard work and the sacrifices of my dead brothers in arms go forgotten with a one paragraph entry about the: Illegality of the "Shock and Awe" campaign, Mission Accomplished, Abu Ghraib, Haditha Killings, Sectarian Violence and Withdrawal in 2010. Because I can GUARANTEE that's ALL that's going to be printed about the Iraq War.

death2mooj
09-26-2010, 10:01 AM
States should just scrap current textbooks......I remember when I looked through my little brother's text books and it wasn't any new knowledge, just corrupted liberal bullshit.

Kids should not be taught bias, they should be presented the information and form their own opinions.

ianstone
09-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Educating the masses in an fair and balanced way, is dangerous.
Because they then start to think for themselves but,
moreover they then question corruption and challenge government.

theshoebox
09-26-2010, 01:46 PM
History itself is biased because it's written by the winner. The loser is most of the time
dead. If anything, the "facts" should be stated, and the students should decide their own
view on the subject(which a lot of the times is based on the view(s) of their parent(s)).

b__Rad
09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Nice idea in my opinion.
-- Call me crazy but I'd much rather have my child bored to tears reading about Billy Graham whereas I'd rather not have them reading pro-islamic teachings by Haji's sympathizers, and other various propaganda from the "far" left.