PDA

View Full Version : Should Guantanamo really be closed?

Cruelbreed
01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Is closing CIA secret jails and torture networks really the answer to foreign combatants? They won't be afraid of being captured and apprehended if there's no threat of harm to them. Also, how will we obtain the information necessary to help our Country.

There's only one positive effect I can see and it's the possible use of psychology. Offer these foreign combatants some form of human leniency, feed them and speak to them and perhaps there minds will come around and help feed the United States information. Perhaps we can also do something similar to what happens with U.S. criminals and offer a lighter sentence for some form of espionage or information gathering service.

I think I see the thought process that Obama might be using, but I think there will still be extreme cases where torture and brutality are necessary to combat the psychotic nature of many of these terrorists. I hope the right choices will be made, yes the United States should be caring to the world, but foreign combatants need to know that we're strong and that frankly.. they'll get destroyed if they do us wrong.

ghost
01-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Should Guantanamo be closed? HELL NO!:nono: Closing a prison, simply because it's controversial is a stupid reason. But then again, almost everything, military related, portrayed by the media, is controversial....

By the way, I don't know if you heard, but a whole shit load of court trials for Gitmo detainees have been suspended. One of these cases includes a trial for 5 men involved in 9/11.

Cruelbreed
01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Ghost, you know he's also closing all the CIA secret prisons. Essentially there's no more secret torture prisons to deal with our enemies. Could this be good?

napalmdeath1.0
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Ghost, you know he's also closing all the CIA secret prisons. Essentially there's no more secret torture prisons to deal with our enemies. Could this be good?

mmmmmh, this is like being stuck between the devil and the deep blue ocean, should we be more civilized and close the prisons or continue onwards with the current scenario.|take note, if a soldier in Iraq or Afganistan is captured by the muslims fighters, they are not givin any trail, and get buctherd like pigs, hence the beheadings|

general reading and internet surfing has told me that upto 70% of the Guantanamo detainees have been there for over 2-4years and had no fair trail, they are unable to communicate with their families/clans and that the US just doesn't have enough evidence to prosecute them, they have less facilities compared 2 prisoners in the US jail system.

i am reluctant to say that we should do away with the prisons, but they should be deeply scrutinized by 3rd partys. we all know that the US is currently breaking international law by having ppl in Guantanamo the treatment and abuse is also well documented, Obamma knows this, so only time will show what we have instore.

the Q is, should we be more civilized than they are, or is torture justified.

Scott
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
no it shouldnt be closed any fucker that is trying to kill mass amounts of innocent people sha'll go there should be tortured , should be starved and should die there!

ghost
01-24-2009, 03:44 AM

It might look good, but I think, in the end, we will be hurting ourselves. By doing this, we are essentially erasing years of progress! Because now, everyone's like, "oh yay, we're the good guys again, because evil old bush isn't in office anymore, yay!". But people don't get it. I may simply be a civilian, but these things are necessary. Intensive interrogation techniques are a necessary evil when dealing with these types of things. This isn't a game. I actually just saw on the news today, that some of the Guantanamo detainees have been freed. What the fuck!?!? Seriously... Are we really that fucking stupid??!?!? One of them happens to be the leader of an Al-Qaeda cell in Yemen. Honestly though, I think he's going to realize that it will be necessary. But, it will be awhile. Will this be made public? Probably not.

Sorry, just venting.

So yeah, back to the main question - Do I think it could be good? No. I think it's incredibly stupid. Intensive interrogation is a nasty thing, it's terrible. But, it needs to be done. But, hey, I'm not the general American public, so whatever. A lot of people are extremely pleased with this, but I think it's because they're not seeing the bigger picture. In this particular case, I truly believe that the ends justify the means.

Cruelbreed
01-25-2009, 02:40 AM
It might look good, but I think, in the end, we will be hurting ourselves. By doing this, we are essentially erasing years of progress! Because now, everyone's like, "oh yay, we're the good guys again, because evil old bush isn't in office anymore, yay!". But people don't get it. I may simply be a civilian, but these things are necessary. Intensive interrogation techniques are a necessary evil when dealing with these types of things. This isn't a game. I actually just saw on the news today, that some of the Guantanamo detainees have been freed. What the fuck!?!? Seriously... Are we really that fucking stupid??!?!? One of them happens to be the leader of an Al-Qaeda cell in Yemen. Honestly though, I think he's going to realize that it will be necessary. But, it will be awhile. Will this be made public? Probably not.

Sorry, just venting.

So yeah, back to the main question - Do I think it could be good? No. I think it's incredibly stupid. Intensive interrogation is a nasty thing, it's terrible. But, it needs to be done. But, hey, I'm not the general American public, so whatever. A lot of people are extremely pleased with this, but I think it's because they're not seeing the bigger picture. In this particular case, I truly believe that the ends justify the means.

I read the same thing man. He went through a saudi rehabilitation program that's supposed to convert prior terrorists into something better. Directly after his rehabilitation was complete he disappeared from Saudi Arabia. Where does he end up? He ends up in Yemen as the head of an organization.

In the coming weeks we're going to see a whole array of speculation as to what has become of the released prisoners. When we realize how stupid of a mistake this might become then perhaps we won't close GITMO. To counter-point this, I don't think the purpose of closing the base is to let these people free. These people will hopefully be extradited to other countries and be held in other prisons. If you think about it, perhaps it serves to save some money if some of our allies take some of the load for once.

In the other case, it seems like a good way to have a whole bunch of escaped and extremely pissed detainees in your hands.

Stark
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
yes yes and yes

Gitmo is very very bad for you guys probably the worse decission in the bush administration and a foreign polictical disaster.

Cruelbreed
01-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Speaking of alternatives to GITMO and the saudi program I mentioned. Read up, just saw this come up on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/01/27/saudi.jihadi.rehab/index.html

REDUCATION

EXCONservative
03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I would have to agree. Whatever satisfaction some of us are getting out of keeping these guys there for years on end without a trial...it's badly hurting our image and killing our message of being morally superior.
Just today Military.com release info stating that Powells aid said there were "many innocent captives being held at Guantanamo" and I doubt Military.com would be printing this as a headliner if there was no validity.
It's just another thorn in our side at this point.
Put them on trial or release them...do something already. It's been 8 years.

sr338
03-22-2009, 05:14 AM
I don't have an opinion here, but it's an interesting note that not everybody there is a combatant. We've got detainees there being held because they were conspiring against the Chinese, for example.
A lot of people, when they hear Guantanamo, think of radical extremists who spent their nights taping 155s together in a dark garage in Baquba.