PDA

View Full Version : Help a cop

shatto
09-08-2010, 03:56 AM
So......I asked.

A California Highway Patrol was taking a report at the Post Office I had dropped mail at, so I asked if he had a minute and he said he did so I asked if there was an email address or any other way to report police officers who didn't obey the seat-belt laws, noting that I never see a CHP not wearing their belt and almost never see the local police using theirs.
He said; "That's because we are exempt." and explained how most consider getting hung-up in the belt too risky if they need to make a hasty exit of the car for one or another reason. He said CHP chose to use their belts for safety reasons and thought other officers nuts for not using them, but they didn't have to.
I told him I'd have to find something else to be angry about. And we parted buddies.

Here is the deal;

Invent a plastic or leather or kevlar or something shield that would fit between the safety belt and the officer and his.....or her gear, so the belt will not catch on anything when being removed.

Seriously. I have the impression that cops fear entanglement in the belt but would prefer to wear it.
Let's try to help.

Sixx
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
So......I asked.

A California Highway Patrol was taking a report at the Post Office I had dropped mail at, so I asked if he had a minute and he said he did so I asked if there was an email address or any other way to report police officers who didn't obey the seat-belt laws, noting that I never see a CHP not wearing their belt and almost never see the local police using theirs.
He said; "That's because we are exempt." and explained how most consider getting hung-up in the belt too risky if they need to make a hasty exit of the car for one or another reason. He said CHP chose to use their belts for safety reasons and thought other officers nuts for not using them, but they didn't have to.
I told him I'd have to find something else to be angry about. And we parted buddies.

Here is the deal;

Invent a plastic or leather or kevlar or something shield that would fit between the safety belt and the officer and his.....or her gear, so the belt will not catch on anything when being removed.

Seriously. I have the impression that cops fear entanglement in the belt but would prefer to wear it.
Let's try to help.
Having experience as a first responder I can't think of anything that would help....it would have to be tailored to that individual officer and his gear.

Seatbelts do suck....for responders.

The worst is when departments actually force their officers to wear seatbelts...and the officers get ambushed in their vehicle and die.

shatto
09-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Having experience as a first responder I can't think of anything that would help....it would have to be tailored to that individual officer and his gear.

Seatbelts do suck....for responders.

The worst is when departments actually force their officers to wear seatbelts...and the officers get ambushed in their vehicle and die.

In "The Godfather" when the godfather was telling his consulari he wanted something done, the lawyer told him they couldn't do that. Don Corleone said; "I didn't hire you to tell me what I can't do."

We are looking for what will work to allow all those first responders to use their safety-belts.