PDA

View Full Version : Warrant OfficerClass 2 Matthew Tomlinson , Royal Marines , Lashkar Gar ,Afghanistan

bobdina
09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
WARRANT OFFICER CLASS 2 MATTHEW TOMLINSON
WO Mattew Tomlinson

Military Cross
Awarded to all ranks of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and RAF in recognition of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land in the presence of the enemy.

WO2 Tomlinson, 43, of the Royal Marines, was awarded the Military Cross for searching out casualties and saving the life of one of his comrades while under heavy fire, after his convoy was hit by an IED.

In Iraq, he was also awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

"We were on our way back to Lashkar Gar when the front vehicle was hit. There was a huge explosion. I basically dismounted from the vehicle and we were under a huge amount of fire.

"I made my way across to the front cab and couldn't see anyone in there and I thought they had been vaporised. Then I heard a marine groaning, just covered in black oil, a lot of blood, his jaw was completely shattered and he had a lot of internal injuries.

"Unfortunately a lot of these awards are awarded during times of loss. I'm extremely proud to have received the award, but it's always a team effort. Your actions are not possible if you don't have the passion and confidence of your marines.

"You know they would do the same for you. It's something driven by the people you are surrounded with."