PDA

View Full Version : Space shuttles for sale

Stark
12-21-2008, 12:57 PM
NASA is planning to raise money by selling off its space shuttles when they stop flying in 2010.

The U.S. space agency is in much need of money in order to produce the next generation Ares rockets, which will attempt to return astronauts to the moon.

And they may raise some funds by selling off their space shuttles, at a cost of at least $42 million.

The advertised price is just the starting figure for any one of the orbiters Discovery, Atlantis or Endeavour, which between them have flown 86 missions into space since 1984.

Included is the minimum $6 million cost of stripping a shuttle of toxic and other hazardous materials, preparing it for travel and flying it to an airport of the buyer's choosing.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/watercooler/story/Space-shuttles-for-sale/RApXc7vXN062JSAywDhxpg.cspx

Cruelbreed
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know should we really be selling this? IF so please god only to an ally country. No china, thanks.

napalmdeath1.0
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
virgin, branson would be smiling, and so would I, ill be 1off the 1st ppl 2book a flight :)

ghost
01-24-2009, 04:15 AM
Haha. Who the hell is going to buy them? I know China will buy them, but I think we're smarter than that. But, you never know!

Cruelbreed
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Haha. Who the hell is going to buy them? I know China will buy them, but I think we're smarter than that. But, you never know!

And that's the other question, who the hell is going to buy them? To be honest though.. the space shuttle technology might have huge applications in other areas.

Scott
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
dont know why i thought of this but i did, if the goverment brought them i think it would be good for them to put the terrorist in a pod which is located in the shuttle , take them upto space and launch the pod , then say good riddance to them!

there experience all kinds of things while traveling space, wonder how long they would last up there.

Cruelbreed
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Or perhaps have the american privateer companies looking for space exploration get their hands on one. Throw up a whole bunch of sactions on selling the technology to foreign companies, but help the private space market get a leap in tech for US companies.