PDA

View Full Version : New game pits grunts against Chinese army

bobdina
08-28-2010, 10:42 AM
New game pits grunts against Chinese army

‘Operation Flashpoint: Red River,’ set in Tajikistan, will be released in 2011, game producer Codemasters said
By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday Aug 28, 2010 9:59:31 EDT

A video game set for release in 2011 will take Marines to Tajikistan for a fight against insurgents after combat in Afghanistan spills across the border. Soon after arriving, however, it becomes clear that China is backing the insurgents and Marines are soon drawn into full-on combat with one of the world’s largest militaries.

The game titled “Operation Flashpoint: Red River,” is the latest installation of the popular “Operation Flashpoint” series of first-person shooters.

“It’s right on the edge of real life, but not quite … so we can take it and run with it from a game-play point of view,” James Nicholls, the game’s chief designer, said in a recent interview posted on Gamespot.com.

“Red River” is set for release in 2011, according to the game’s producer, England-based Codemasters. But the company did not provide a specific date or say how much it might cost. It will be available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Players will assume the role of Marines rooting out insurgents and grappling with tactical challenges that come with fighting a shadowy enemy dispersed among civilians.

“Faced with new counter-insurgency combat and the returning threat of the Chinese PLA, players will feel the tension, brutality and carnage of modern conflict from the perspective of a Marine fire team on deployment in a hostile country, thousands of miles from home,” Codemasters said in a news release.

With the game’s interactive element, players can go online for group play with up to four people and form fire teams by hand picking other players for their individual strengths. Players must then equip themselves with the best tools, weapons and vehicles for the job.

The game designers say they chose Tajikistan to stage their plot because it is a geopolitical hotbed between China and Afghanistan, and it sits near Russia and Pakistan. Historically, it has been a battlefield for power players seeking influence in the resource-rich region where trade routes intersect and cultures clash. Today, the country again finds itself situated perilously close to conflict.

Toki
08-28-2010, 11:08 AM
So? OFP: Dragon Rising has you fighting PLA.

windexglow
08-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Which is very odd, as Arma 2 OA takes place in takistan. Arma2 is made by Bethesda, who orignally made Operation Flashpoint.

Regardless the old flashpoint was an amazing warsim - the new one made by this company is console trash.

Jdubya
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Personally I never liked the first OFP Dragon Rising but, thats just me. We'll have to see how this one turns out. I really want to see 6 days in Fallujah come out but the frenzy over that game has delayed it so long its ridiculous.

death2mooj
08-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't get this game if it was free. CM is trying to fleece the operation flashpoint fanbase once again. Bohemia made the original that the fanbase,if you want real sequels to OFP go get Arma, Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead. CM makes shit games, I noticed once again that they are limiting the players to 4 people controlling 4 fireteams of no doubt idiotic AI that can't do a single thing right. I am willing to bet the maps will be the same bs 1.5k x 1.5k multiplayer maps from before. And of course they will make a huge map for the story that will be empty of all ambient life and fun.

Fuck that company